Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CRB? How do I get one now?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bucephalas69
25 Oct 2008 - 9:54 PM

Last April the law changed and the self employed can no longer obtain a CRB check. Any "Umbrella" organisation can face a fine of 5000 if they provide you with one.

Based on this change in the law, how do i get one?
I notice several of you are claiming that you are still CRB checked.

Richie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2008 - 9:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peter_davey
25 Oct 2008 - 11:22 PM

Go though a trade body like SWPP, don't do it through a single school as it become limited to that school - so I'm told.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2008 - 10:26 AM

I'm certificated a couple of times in Scotland, but it's specific to the employer/organisation, so for instance my work one will not cover me for coaching kids for rowing, so watch out for who you do go through, or it may not cover you where you need it.

Bucephalas69
26 Oct 2008 - 4:29 PM

I have an enhanced disclosure which experired 4 years ago as my wife was a registered childminder. My buddy has an upto date one each year as he's a teacher. They are both identical except that each state which organisation the check is being done through and reason for the check (teacher, child-minder etc).

I can't find any reference to CRB on SWPP site at all.

How else are the tog's on this forum obtaining theirs?
Or maybe it's just that they haven't tried since the change in the law but haven't updated their web sites yet?

mikeweeks
mikeweeks  9954 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2008 - 4:50 PM

SWPP stopped doing them because of the changes. Basically you have to get them done by the school etc. where you will be taking the images.

Mike

Bucephalas69
26 Oct 2008 - 5:00 PM

That makes sense. Cheers Mike

peter_davey
26 Oct 2008 - 5:14 PM

so that makes mine out of date then i guess ?

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2008 - 5:22 PM

I had mine through SWPP but I do not reameber a date on it that says not vailid after this date.

I will have to dig it out and have another look.

peter_davey
26 Oct 2008 - 7:52 PM

no that's the key problem with them, they have no start not end date.

So as a photographer that works for many organisations that have children - am I expetected to have 100 CRB certifacates?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2008 - 8:30 PM

Well I have one Police CRB check and one teaching one and no-one has ever questioned them when outside their 'remit'.

Bucephalas69
26 Oct 2008 - 8:52 PM

They don't have an expiry date, just an effective date, but most organisations won't accept one over a year old for obvious reasons.

It doesn't matter what organisation provided it. An ehanced disclosure will cover it all.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2008 - 9:14 PM

must be different down south, Scotland has a different system right enough, but my enhanced disclosure I got through work says on it that it's for work purposes, and states my employer

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2008 - 9:55 PM

Some useful information on portability here,
CRB

Barry

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2008 - 12:34 PM

As has been said before on here, the CRB is out of date from the moment it is issued. There are organisations who will not accept any other organisation's CRB check on an individual... and that is their right.

You could be convicted of an offence against children and (assuming it didn't get you chucked in the slammer!) you could be walking around with a "valid" CRB which was issued just a week previously.

SKavanagh
SKavanagh  7312 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2008 - 4:18 PM

Im Managed to get my Sensei to sort out my CRB for photography, this is an enhanced disclosure. I take photos for my Karate club and also at my local mountain bike tracks where im the club photographer. I only got the check done in case parents at the track asked me about it, i know its not portable but if the place or event wants you to take photos and they are worried about it, its down to them to sort out the CRB check for you, as i understand it.
I carry my certificate with me all the time just in case but no one has ever asked me about it or asked me to stop taking photos of there kids, they normally ask where they can get the photos.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.