Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Creating a web page - custom or off the shelf?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
cf73
cf73  9232 forum posts Australia
21 Jul 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi there,
Myself and a friend are looking at going into a 'partnership' where we need to set up a website for our photographs. It is a long term project to see where it can takes us.

My question is, are there recognised websites around where you can make yourself a webpage at a decent price.? I have been given www.clickpic.com which at initial investigations looks great value (from 35 pounds) and a good place to start. I do have a friend who builds websites but it could cost 2,000 pounds so there is obviously a big difference.

Could anyone point me in the direction of another 5 or so where I could compare?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2011 - 11:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 11:55 AM

www.foliopic.com

This is run by ePHOTOzone staff, I believe. Specifically, Pete.

http://www.photium.com/

This is another place you could look - a lot of people on here use them.

There's a couple to get you thinking

Smile

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 11:56 AM

You might want to give Foliopic a try?

I used to have a custom built website but it just got such a pain to keep updating that I opted for a Foliiopic site instead - that way I actually update it fairly frequently which wasn't the case with the site I built from scratch.

Edit: Bit slow typing there Smile

Last Modified By cattyal at 21 Jul 2011 - 11:57 AM
cf73
21 Jul 2011 - 12:00 PM

Great!! thanks for the quick response, will look into these ones.

Cheers

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 12:11 PM

Weebly is a good basic site. Free, or you can pay for more options.

stomp
stomp  12203 forum posts England
21 Jul 2011 - 2:40 PM

Do you use Lightroom in your workflow? if yes then have a look at "The Turning Gate" engines. Here

Design a photographic website and maintain it from with Lightroom. All you need is a host that supports php5 and a domain name and you can upload to the web as many images as you like and can even use a Paypal cart for online sales.

Here's a site built using TTG (not mine & I have no connection to it either) Here

Steve

contemporary dave

Have a look at Web Plus X5 web design software. Very simple to use and around 50.00 from Amazon.

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2011 - 4:48 PM

I would say that while generic sites like those already mentioned are great when starting out, due to the nature of a set formular after a while of trawling photography sites they all tend to merge into one, and to really stand out you are better off with a unique site. Also please avoid flash, it's a pain, and these days with the ipad being so popular your site won't alwasy work for people.

EddieAC
EddieAC  9667 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 5:06 PM

You could try ephotozine's current foliopic offer which expires at the end of the month.

This gets you a years membership of foliopic lite. You can update this and see how things go.
You can upgrade it if you need any more advanced features.

Also, Pete answered an interesting post about domain names here.

stomp
21 Jul 2011 - 5:25 PM

Quote: I would say that while generic sites like those already mentioned are great when starting out, due to the nature of a set formular after a while of trawling photography sites they all tend to merge into one, and to really stand out you are better off with a unique site. Also please avoid flash, it's a pain, and these days with the ipad being so popular your site won't alwasy work for people.

I agree plus I think they are quite expensive for what they offer.

For far less than 179 (which is the top Foliopic package) I could upload multiple domains and websites not just one.

Steve

ray1
ray1  9511 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 5:27 PM

Check out wordpress and the many templates that are available.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85742 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 7:29 PM

Quote: For far less than 179 (which is the top Foliopic package) I could upload multiple domains and websites not just one.

True!, but if you take into account the current offers & deduct the annual EPZ membership fee from the cost, then the Foliopic advanced sounds a good deal to meGrin

stomp
21 Jul 2011 - 8:13 PM

Quote: For far less than 179 (which is the top Foliopic package) I could upload multiple domains and websites not just one.

True!, but if you take into account the current offers & deduct the annual EPZ membership fee from the cost, then the Foliopic advanced sounds a good deal to meGrin

I'm not trying to dis these types of packages but just pointing out that one does pay for the convenience. Plus I believe that after 12 months the price would rise to the normal rates.

"Horses for courses" and for a lot of people they are an ideal option. Just not the only one.

Steve

cf73
22 Jul 2011 - 4:48 AM

Thanks everyone with your help.
The Turning Gate did look very nice, I will have a look at costs and so on and go from there. It might be a case of starting with something relatively basic and go from there for one year. After that if things are going well and some money comes through then an upgrade to a more dynamic site.

Steve

Does this mean that two or more domain names can upload to the one page.? The reason that I ask this is, we may register one in his name and the other in mine so if they can both upload to the one site that may solve a couple of problems.

Cheers

stomp
22 Jul 2011 - 6:20 AM

I have .co.uk plus a .net and a .eu all pointing to a .com address. So if a person types in *******.co.uk the web browser will open with the ********.com site.

I could just as easily have all the sites uploaded as separate sites as there is no limit on the amount of web space (server HD) I use.

It also allows me to have multiple e-mail addresses (1000's) which is useful for instance in the case of sales and info. I have sales@**** and info@**** and I can can have e-mails from .eu / .net etc sites forwarded to the .com e-mail addresses.

Steve

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.