Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Creating pdfs

Hi all

I have looked on the Adobe site for the following but it seems very slow and they have some broken links, etc.

Can someone tell me the relevant (and cheapest) Adobe software for creating .pdf files.

I've tried several third-party software and they don't seem to work correctly.

Basically I simply want to turn MS Word documents into a .pdf file.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EnigmaPhoto 9 487 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 9:33AM
I can thoroughly recommend Primo pdf.
It's free and works great

Here it is
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Nov 2006 9:37AM
I did specifically ask for Adobe software in my post because of the lack of success with third party software.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Nov 2006 9:44AM
Oh sorry, Ashley...Adobe Acrobat Pro - about 150.
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 9:47AM
If it's only a handful of documents for one project rather than an ongoing thing the Adobe website used to offer (still does I think) a free online trial service for up to 5 documents. You upload the document for conversion and you can then download the resulting pdf.
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 9:53AM
Presumably you don't already have PS? You could use this to create them...
Steve
No, I'm die hard PSP fan

Henchard
It's to be an ongoing thing from now on - plus we're getting more clients asking about pdf.

Keith
Thank you, I'll have a look at it.

[EDIT] Had a look and I can get Acrobat 7 Standard for about 80.
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 9:59AM
Or there's the cute PDF driver - you install the converter and a print driver and just print direct from Word. It's free, and provides password protection and stuff.

edit: sorry! it's not adobe, doh!
Hi Steve, that's one of the several I had problems with.
2 Nov 2006 10:05AM
I use Adobe Acrobat to prepare a lot of work for digital printers. Be aware that many RIPS have not caught up with the latest version of Acrobat. Hence you may need to use the options in Acrobat that saves as an earlier version.
What are RIPS?

99% of my clients are universities, and they use .pdfs a lot.

It's so I can send invoices by email. We're getting asked more and more to do this, but of course sending a Word document isn't secure enough as figures, etc., can all be changed.
2 Nov 2006 10:12AM
RIPS = Raster Image Processing software

RIP software bypasses the printer's driver and takes control of the printer directly. Used in commercial printing mostly. So unlikely to affect you for the type of work you may do. Just need to be aware that every client may not want the pdf to the latest version. easily handled in Acrobat.
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 145 England
2 Nov 2006 10:15AM
Well there's Open office from openoffice.org, which will open and allow you to edit and save Word files as well as other MS Office files and is free. It has a pdf maker built in.

But sadly not Adobe!

From what you are telling us, it looks like you'll have to bite the bullet and get the proper Acrobat program, and if most of your clients are asking for pdfs, surely it makes sense to go that route.

Quote:it looks like you'll have to bite the bullet and get the proper Acrobat program, and if most of your clients are asking for pdfs, surely it makes sense to go that route.

Which is exactly why I was asking for Adobe software in the first place.

I am happy to pay the cost, after all it will be tax deductable, and it does what I want it to do.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.