Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

CRETE, FUN PHOTOGRAPHY MEET.

Patricia Fenn 10 614 56 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2005 10:53AM
ITINERARY: DAY THREE: 6TH OCTOBER

Pick up from apartments 9am ish
Half hour drive to monastery of ST George of Selinari. Usual monastery sort of stuff, bells, churches, icons, frescos...not my sort of stuff ...but in the sheer cliffs on the opposite side of the road are Griffin Vultures...amazing bird! Get that zoom lens out!
Half hour or so stop.
Drive 15 mins to Hersonisos, coffee stop, see 'Photo Locations" nice little marina, good sea/landscapes, lots of typical Greek shots and candids of tourists. One hour stop.
Drive 30 mins to Thrapsano. This is not a tourist place, the whole village earns a living making the big terracotta urns. I know the people who own the largest kiln (a family affair) and have over a thousand of these magnificent hand made pots ready for export. You will be able to walk around the workshops and watch them being turned by hand, see rows of them, gray and wet, waiting to be fired. Raw and basic craftsmanship. Outside, hundreds of designs, stacked in the sunlight, all orange and round and lovely.
One of my favorite places!

Half an hour or so wander around the village itself then back to the apartments for a wash and brush up because if we do THE Exhibition this will be the opening night...hopefully a champaign affair.

EXHIBITION: Still in the planning stages. For those who are new to photography, don't worry, you have 8 weeks to get one good shot organized, two, even better. I, and I'm sure hundreds of other ePz'ers will help all they can to get it right. email me if you have any concerns or need a printer.
Title:
"THE WORLD IS A SEA OF IMAGES"
Stuck for an idea...buy some shells and a bag of builders sand Smile

That's all from me tonight, P, X

PS, forgot, there will be a lunch break pic-nic provided.

PPS you can find further information about all these places on the web.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scotdiver 11 260 1 Scotland
13 Jul 2005 12:49PM
This is looking better and better.

I have got the flights booked for Iva and myself, but not had the confirmations come back.

I like the idea of the exhibition, but I can't see how an A2 mount will survive in the suitcase - need to see if one will fit.

Patricia - would you like me to pull together all the events for each day onto a set of web pages with links to local info? Might be easier to follow than wading through all these messages?

Right off to bed and get ready for work stuff in the am!

Rob
13 Jul 2005 2:26PM
Rob, that would be superb, thanks! I'm an absolute nerd when it comes to computer stuff!

Shall I give you my pass word so you can access and organise... or has an ePhotozine official got a better suggestion?

Prints could be smaller, but I only have 40X50 frames. Prints in mounts between two sheets of polystyrene and a cardboard outer with FRAGILE in red travels well. that's how I do it and have never had a problem.
megamuff8 10 92 United States
14 Jul 2005 5:17AM
Hi Patricia....This sounds Wonderful, just now reading your post!!!
I am trying to figure out if I can make a go at this trip....If there is still room???
Suzan Smile
14 Jul 2005 5:44AM
Suzan! That would be ACE!!!!
megamuff8 10 92 United States
14 Jul 2005 6:18PM
Thanx Patricia...Trying to find a decent airfare from Atlanta...Smile
User_Removed 9 132
15 Jul 2005 5:09AM
Patricia. i paid in the 50 deposit about an hour ago. all i need to do now is sort out a flight. if not i'll start walking in sept Smile

regarding the exhibtion. i market my pics as u see on here with a black border and at 30x40. if it goes ahead will i be able to get 30x40 frames that match urs locally??

Kersten
15 Jul 2005 12:19PM
Yep, 30x40, available from big supermarket Carrfore, about 5/6 euro I think, black, white and silver.
I do my prints that size then mount them into 40x50.
If I know in some advance I can buy the frames and either you can take them home with you, or if the exhibition is on for a month, which is what I'll try for, I will post them back to you... or I could buy them off you and destroy or post back any prints that haven't sold.

I thought prints had to have a mount otherwise they stick to the glass? Helpful advice anyone?

Any views on this arrangement, anybody?

Greece has a duel tax system with UK and any money made here must pay tax here. I will take a paper from my accountant for the venue host to sign, just in case we make some sales, that any pictures sold will be sold on behalf of the hotel and they will be responsible for the tax. this keeps thing legal.

If anyone would like details of the last exhibition I did here, please contact me Patricia@acn.gr and I'll answer any questions and help as much as I can.

Was going to post DAY 4 itinerary, but it's 11pm and I'm just in from work so I'll catch you tomorrow.
Night-nightSmile
phil beale 11 1.5k United Kingdom
16 Jul 2005 11:49AM
I have family who live in Crete and i normally book my flight with flightline not sure if they are the cheapest but they show all flight times and Prices and have always given good service in the past.

Patricica I may be interested in this it sounds a lot of fine just need to check dates and may look at visiting my parents for a second week. I will E-mail for more details if I get something sorted out

Phil
16 Jul 2005 12:47PM
sounds good, Phil. do your parents live in Elounda...or am I mixing you up with someone else?
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
16 Jul 2005 12:55PM
Patricia, bad news. I was reading in the paper yesterday, about an estate agent from the Costa del Sol, who has decided to pack up in southern Spain, and is moving to Crete, having decided that Crete will become the new Spain! The report said that property has gone very flat in the CDS, and that Crete looks about to take off. It named places where they intend to build etc, cost of properties there etc.(so much cheaper than CDS) I thought of you, and thought you'd be less than pleased by the news. Good time for some property speculation maybe.
phil beale 11 1.5k United Kingdom
16 Jul 2005 2:06PM
Your right, parents live in Elounda. Where abouts do you live?

Phil
16 Jul 2005 11:18PM
Abwhitt, thats my job Smile from ruins to Villas.

Phil, son lives in Elounda, I lived between Ag, Nik and Kalo Horio 13 years, now live south coast, to touristy on the north for me. If you do come perhaps your parents would like to come to the Greek night, propper plate throwing, fire on floor, spontainious dancing job, not a comercial exhibition which is probably all they've seen.

Got to run....bye!!
17 Jul 2005 7:11AM
Bit more info for you, sorry it's so disjointed but if I don't post it as it comes I may miss something out.

INTERNET CAF: Just had a chat with the INTERNET caf owner.
He has agreed to let everyone have the computer time half price.
For 3 Euro you get a 2 hour card to use in short or long sessions, what ever you want. Downloading onto disk, checking or posting on ePz, sending emails.
We will be stopping there 3 times in the week.

CRETE NIGHT: 8th October.
Just booked the venue, private party, two professional Cretan dancers, full costume. Zora's dance, Hania dance, butchers dance, etc. And the famous Zebbetico, which is danced in a circle of flames. (Good shots, me thinks)
I'll give a dancing lesson the night before for those who want to have a go on the night.
Please save a cracked saucer or small plate to put in your suitcase for this event.

Also, at no expense spared, we may be honored by a rendition of 'I'll always love you' by the pneumatic Dolly Parton...and there is a whisper that Bob Marley may drift in and give us a rendition of 'No woman no cry".

The exotic Cretan dancer, Shallot Anna will perform her tassel swinging, hip jiggling belly dance and encourage anyone inebriated enough to join in.

The menu is limited, sorry. Home made Mousaka, with meat or vegetarian/ or lamb chops, Greek salad, Red/white wine, (much as you can drink) soft drinks, water, fresh fruit and Raki.

This night is included in the price so it's just a few tips for the dancers you'll need.
Fun night! No dressing up, casual/ short even.
18 Jul 2005 12:22PM
Sorry not to have posted itinerary for day 4 yet.
Much is hanging on the grape harvest.
I'm hoping to take you to an ethnic grape stamping so you can roll up the shorts and get on in there; and while a local plays the Lira, dance around, hands on neighbors shoulders, and press the vines.
It's quite an experience and everyone should try it once Smile
I'm trying to find someone with a late crop. Word has gone out. It is customary on these occasions to partake of last years wine..much as pos...they need the empty barrels!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.