Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

CRETE, FUN PHOTOGRAPHY MEET.

User_Removed 9 132
19 Jul 2005 1:41AM
would it help if i brought a few empty barrels of my own to free up theirs?? Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2005 10:56AM
Sten, it's a better plan if we help them empty theirs:-Z

Anonymous girlfriend photographer who's just paid deposit: Thanks for the info on how to do a link, knacked now but will get the hang of it tomorrow.

Rob! where are you? I do need organizing Smile

Promise to post next itinerary tomorrow, night-night [-O
User_Removed 9 132
20 Jul 2005 12:38AM
i'll bring the resolve then Smile

BTW did my deposit show up ok in ur account?
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2005 2:44AM
ITINERARY: DAY 4. 7TH OCTOBER.

9am ish, pick up from apartments, hour stop at beached fishing boat wreck.

10.15 drive to ostrich farm for coffee break, ostriches, and views over Agios Nikolaos.

11.15 drive to the ancient salt pans of Elounda. Egrets, herons, windmills. Byzantine mosaic in the middle of a goat field. Lots to see and photograph.

12.30 lunch at small canal under causeway. Every kind of water craft, old fishing boats going out, jet skiers at luxury hotel, eat kebabs and salad at edge of sea.

2.30 Elounda. Picturesque, location of a couple of films. Typical post card shots.

4pm 10 minute drive to Placa, traditional fishing boat trip to Venetian fortress island of Spinalonga, which was until recently a leper colony. Amazing story of courage and survival.

Sunset: 10 minute drive up to newly built wind farm overlooking the bay of Elounda and Mirabello. Breathtaking views. Incredible architecture.
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2005 3:08AM
Itinerary: day 5&6, 8th/9th October.

Much depends on the grape harvest for these two days.
We will go treading the grapes and photographing the event. I need a late crop for the treading and an early crop for the raki distilling.

When the grapes have been pressed and the juice barreled up for wine, the skins and pips are fermented for another 2 weeks, then distilled. The distilling is done at the side of the road and potatoes are put in the olive wood charcoal so there is always food for local passers by who come to keep the distiller awake. He's only allowed to distill for 48 hours and doesn't leave the still in that time.
This is a dieing tradition as the government stopped issuing licenses to distill years ago and it is now only existing stills that are passed down in the family.

Those that don't want to try a nude model shoot (see above) will be taken to a nearby village which is very picturesque and also a nice place for a swim.

We will also join the old fishermen when they gather to mend their nets and long lines. They like to be photographed and are an interesting and colorful bunch of blokes.

There will also be half a day in Mochlos, (see 'mooring line' 'room with a view' and 'missed stroke' in pf) Tonnes to shoot here, from cute little craft, beautiful village people, super views and lots of interesting chandlery and flowers.

And half a day in a mountain village, very basic living, chickens, goats and villagers living side by side. 4 churches, 3 cafenion, 6 stills, no shops.
Anyone wants to try riding a donkey side saddle, or milking a goat or sheep will have the chance here Smile

There is also the possibility of a Cretan wedding in these two days to which you are all invited. I'm still waiting for the date though. (see film: Shirley Valentine, for an idea of the occasion).

Evenings: 8th Cretan Night...see above.
9th Sunset from Ha Canyon (5 mins from apartments) Free evening.
10th Beach BBQ fun night. There will be a hilarious challenge for 4 pairs of volunteers and any monies left over from the week will supply prises (as many bottles of wine as pos probably) for the winner. The shots WILL be good!

11th October: Early morning start with bags packed, to Hiraklion. Those that want to 'do' Knossos Archaeological site will be dropped there, everyone else to the spice market, meeting at an ancient fountain at the end where interesting characters play with their worry beads and natter the day away.
Hilarious traffic situations and bustling shoppers make this a great place to people watch.

Airport is 15 mins away so runs will go there accordingly.

Later flights can have a run into Fodele, the birth place of El Greco if they want or relax on the beach.

GREEK COSTUME: I have a full Cretan costume (see pf) and anyone who wants to borrow it for a shoot is welcome Smile

ROOMS: I'm doing a bit of arm twisting with the apartment owners and think we will have twin bed apartments for the same price Smile I'll do my best.

Any questions please email me: patricia@acn.gr
scotdiver e2
11 260 1 Scotland
24 Jul 2005 7:54AM
Patricia

I should have time this evening to put together the web pages on my website.

I've still not had confirmation back from the charter company about the flights, so will chase them Monday.

Rob
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2005 1:00PM
Rob, that's great, thanks!
We've got 2 from USA, 1 Belgium, and 5 from UK deposits paid so far.

So everyone, listen-up...
Here is your first Greek lesson....

THANK YOU...A FAIRIES TOE
(not a pixies foot...or an elfins digit)
A FAIRIES TOE! Got it? Right, don't forget it Smile
Night-night:-O
X
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2005 8:20PM
ITINERARY FOR CRETE MEET WEEK:
thanks to Rob (scotdiver) for putting this in a more orderly fashion for us. You'll find it all in order here

http:www.robsmith.couk/crete/index.htm

(if this doesn't come up as a link perhaps you wouldn't mind fixing that too, RobSmile told you I was hopeless)
scotdiver e2
11 260 1 Scotland
25 Jul 2005 10:36PM
Rough Itinerary for each day.
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 11:11PM
To keep you informed about the EXHIBITION prospects:

I have an appointment to discus the possibility of an exhibition with the managing director of 'Istron Bay Hotel' this evening.
This is a first class hotel and you will find its website through goggle.
It would be the perfect venue as it is only ten minutes drive from the apartments.

Fingers crossed, guys Smile

Forgot to say, Wednesday is also market day in Agios Nikolaos...and there is a photographic exhibition on in the town which may interest some Smile
Sure you'll go home saying a week wasn't long enough, ha-ha!
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
31 Jul 2005 11:55PM
Good idea to list the itinerary Rob, but anyone with sensitive eyes will find reading white text from a black background hard work.
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2005 1:36AM
BIRD WATCHERS:
On my way home last night I came across 3 buzzards, a black kite and a goshawk or female sparowhawk...failed miserably to get a decent shot as they circled above me, but just so you know what's in the area.
gill f e2
10 115 England
1 Aug 2005 6:22AM
I've managed to rearrange my work commitments and I'd like to come too. I'm looking at getting the flight from Gatwick at 9am on 4th and the return one on 11th from Heraklion at 16.20.
Now I've said yes ...I am really looking forward to seeing all these great places and meeting some other epzers.
Gill
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2005 9:50PM
Great! Thanks Gill, look forward to meeting you Smile

Guys still outnumbering the galls so come on sisters! get those holidays organized Grin

Any talents out there? Masseuses? Practiced sensor cleaners? Guitar players? Come on down!

The apartments will let me have a table set up for still life shots so each day I'll bring a collection of local things for a challenge (big rusty keys, pomegranates, shells, driftwood and pebbles, donkey saddle, colored glass bottles, an octopus, etc).

Any suggestions, anyone?
Patricia Fenn e2
10 614 56 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2005 12:13AM
Waiting for a phone call from the managing director of Istron Bay Hotel about Exhibition...wracked with nerves...I'm a complete coward about these things...the minutes stretch out...UGH!

Big thanks to Magda for keeping the 'Essence of Crete' exhibition on line until we get a result. It's fab! hope you've all had a look Smile

Not a good day to give up smoking!...waiting...god I hope I don't let you all down....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.