Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Criticism - What is it worth?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AdrianTurner
    26 Jun 2004 - 6:55 AM

As far as Im concerned, it is invaluable. I will always consider myself to be learning and what better way to learn than taking on board the objective opinions of the members of ePz, thankfully there are many amounst you who are prepared to say-it-as-it-is.

As an example Here is an upload I made yesterday and Here is todays upload, a rework of yesterdays based on the comments received.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jun 2004 - 6:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Origami_Owl
    26 Jun 2004 - 7:07 AM

I agree - the advice you got was really spot on. Sometimes it works out just nicely doesn't it. You turned that shot into a pro-studio shot. Good work everyone!
    Paul

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2004 - 8:37 AM

I totally agree, without the constructive critism, help and advice of the many generous and knowledgeable people on this site I wouldnt be improving thats for sure.

AdrianTurner
    26 Jun 2004 - 4:08 PM

Thought there would have been more of a response to this thread on a rainy Saturday (most of UK).
    Non-the-less, I'm sure there are loads of members out there who appreciate the more experienced members comments and guidance.

normanw
    normanw  1066 forum posts
    26 Jun 2004 - 4:56 PM

Digiart - The experienced photogs are (very) helpful with technical advice but often a novice's viewpoint is useful simply because they are not looking at the technical bits, but more how the picture 'feels'.

AdrianTurner
    26 Jun 2004 - 5:02 PM

I fully agree and did not mean to imply that the only views worth noting are those of the more experienced. Hope I have not caused offence as none was intended especially as I consider myself to be a novice.

normanw
    normanw  1066 forum posts
    27 Jun 2004 - 5:54 PM

No offence at all, I just wanted to balance a remark that could perhaps have discouraged novices and less experienced people from commenting. (Like both you and I apparently) Smile

raziel_uk
    raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
    28 Jun 2004 - 8:30 AM

How can anyone improve without (constructive) criticism?

So I never understand those people who upload their photos but don't want criticism.

Ashley

sabretalon
    sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Jun 2004 - 8:43 AM

Criticism what is it worth? It would depend on how it came across and how you take it.

If someone says something about your image and you suddenly get all defensive over the image, then it was not critique you wanted but praise. But if someone suggested something was out of place or "if you try this it may improve this" etc.. and then you at least give it a try, a) you may learn something new and b) it may just improve your image.

Also it will depend on the way it was written! Some people will write a lot of information to back up what they are saying or to make it clearer others may say "it's crap like that try doing this instead".

People get hung up on semantics or gramma. It is easier at times to say things than it is to put them in to writing.

Bernie
    Bernie  102201 forum posts
    28 Jun 2004 - 8:49 AM

Lets face it most of the good comments are from people who've made the same minor errors themselves, so just passing on what they learned.
    Now that can't be bad, can it?

UserRemoved
    28 Jun 2004 - 9:04 AM

Agree with all said - I'll accept any criticism, good or bad! Only thing worse than bad criticism is to be overlooked/ignored! I was even criticised on my criticism the other day - but hey, its only a personal opinion and what do I know anyway Wink

The key is that whatever is said is based upon someone's personal view and is inevitably subjective. Just because its in the papers (or in this case, on the 'Net) doesn't make it fact! Learned that from our friends the tabloids and various quotes attributed to me!

adonoghue
    adonoghue  10519 forum posts England
    28 Jun 2004 - 10:39 AM

In my eyes, what is advantageous is actually getting someone elses viewpoint.

Sometimes it isn't very easy to criticise your own work and it needs that gentle prod from another perspective to point out any potential flaws and areas that could be improved.

If the photo you take is for your personal pleasure and you like it, then who gives a stuff what anyone else thinks - but if its something you want to share, or enter into competitions, or you are trying something new,then this is where the Readers Gallery comes into its own.

pfheyes
    pfheyes  10254 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jun 2004 - 12:37 PM

I agree with all of the above, but to look at the other side of the coin, I've posted images where I haven't received very little criticism at all - are they REALLY bad in this instance? I hope not! Wink

My experience has been that I haven't had that much of the 'try this, it will improve your photography' type of comments, which is a shame, because this is the reason for me posting the images in the first place. I have been grateful when I have received then because it gives me the opportunity to learn.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.