Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

critique (group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
clicknimagine

can anybody please tell me why this image does not work, where are the faults? is it the light? or composition? or what is the fault according to your point of view?...

your opinions are welcome and your are invited to the group...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jul 2010 - 5:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2010 - 5:41 PM

Not that I'm anyway expert....

Given the title...

1 The picture (right) although probably relevant confuses the main focus (which is the hands?).
2 on the same lines, the guy's shirt distracts from the face and the hands.

The definition in the hands is superb but I would like to see a little more face and perhaps a step or 2 back from the target?

hope that helps Smile

clicknimagine

many many thanks Jeff for your valuable critique, it is indeed helpful, you are very much welcome to the group, if you are interested,

ok, let me explain a little bit more,

the hindu is the title,

the photo at the background is one of the hindu god and goddess, the hand is the connection between the photo at the background with the worshiper and the relationship between them...

User_Removed
10 Jul 2010 - 8:34 AM

You ask why I doesn’t work. When I am looking at an image to give a critique I don’t read the replies first, so, if I repeat what’s been said I am sorry but I rather look at it with my eyes first.

Firstly I like the image. My initial thoughts are not to do with the image as such but the presentation. I am not a fan of the black top and bottom borders I would also prefer it to be true black and white, I am not a fan of sepia either!

Looking at the composition I have questioned if it would be better to show more of the wrist, just a touch just pull back slightly, maybe. The picture in the background? It links the subject to the action, but the title does this too. I can’t decide if it would be better without it, the only reason I think it might be better without it is that it would allow the fingers to be defined throughout the image. However, there is something there about the praying hands touching/overlapping the picture I like.

I think it would be better if we could see slightly more of the face. I would rather the mouth didn’t come to the edge of the image and, although he needs to wear glasses, it would be nice and maybe have more “power” if we could see his eyes.

I like that the fingers are seen on both hands as this show he is praying (I think) and not just simply talking to someone and gesticulating.

So I think I would have pulled back a little and turned to the left slightly too, made it black and white and not had the borders.

What makes an image work is the viewer!

I am not a student but hope I am allowed to join the group. Now I can read what others have said.

User_Removed
10 Jul 2010 - 8:36 AM

Quote: the photo at the background is one of the hindu god and goddess, the hand is the connection between the photo at the background with the worshiper and the relationship between them...

Yes, that is what I was getting at with the linking of the subject to the action.

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 9:10 AM

Many many thanks to you too AHobbs, fantastic critique and very much helpful, you are very much welcome to the group...

exactly you have said, different viewer can see the image in different ways, but to find the common factors is the intention of the group,

everyone else please contribute, if you are interested, it will be really valuable...

User_Removed
10 Jul 2010 - 9:25 AM

Quote: .....but to find the common factors.....

A common factor that all viewers see would, I think, have to be at the very base level of “seeing” the image. In this case the common factor is a man with his hands together.

Different groups of people will see things with a different common factor. E.G. “technical” photographers will maybe look first for the exposure and processing. An artists (painters etc) might look for meaning and symbolism, as with this image and the hands relation to the picture in the background.

How we are taught to look at images plays a massive part in what we see. So to find a common factor that all viewers see we have to account for the very “basic” elements of the image as everyone sees them.

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2010 - 9:37 AM

Oh - I have also joined the group but I am not a student in the strictest sense - but we are always learning so that is my excuse.

I think the image posted for analysis is interesting but perhaps what is more interesting is the question 'Why doesn't this image work'. The moment that question is posted together with the image then the viewer is primed and it is almost impossible, I think, to view the image in any sort of objective way anymore. The words and the context that surround an image can so easily overwhelm the picture and make true critique impossible.

But also there is a lack of context setting by the image maker 'clicknimagine' - what did you want to acheive when you took the shoot - you mention light and composition - were these your chief concerns?

That said, I think AHobbs critique is spot on and would sign up to everything - except perhaps 'that the viewer makes the image work' which takes us to notions of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - which in turn make critque almost impossible. When AHobbs has just demostrated so beautifully that it clearly is possible.

In film making there is a school of thought based, I believe, on a notion of 'the look' which reflects this 'viewer makes the image work' idea and it has many powerful and intelectual advocates. My only problem with it is that if we all make sense of an image in our own unique way how then can we ever reach any sort of consensus on what does work and 'why doesn't this image work'!

Ramblings of a madman - mumble mumble but hope this makes some sort of sense.

Cheers

Robert

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 9:44 AM

But also there is a lack of context setting by the image maker 'clicknimagine' - what did you want to acheive when you took the shoot - you mention light and composition - were these your chief concerns?

no, i have only given some examples, the question was that why this was a poor shot, what are the deficits that can be sorted out and corrected, the light and composition is only two examples i have given...

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2010 - 7:09 PM

my turn - I was looking for colour and contrast...it has symmetry and I think it is focused and exposed fairly well.......but hardly a look in
why oh why oh why?

is it just that people don't like static shots, or flags? let me know what you think? Smile

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 7:40 PM

Jeff, it is an interesting subject matter, if it attracts you, that is well enough,

but as a general point of view, i can add something extra to the image to work probably better,

Light:- photography is light painting, the light of the scene is not very much pleasing, or i mean to say it may not be extraordinary, and in this time of the day, it should not be expected so, you can think about the digital manipulation process to give some extra definition in this respect, although it is true that a huge development in this respect may not be possible here only by manipulation,

Composition:- you are talking about symmetry and you have done well here, but the purpose of composition is to please the human psychology, is it pleasing? an example, a minimalist approach with loosing the lower part and including more of the sky, as far as possible taking the shot a few step backward or even altering the sky at the digital darkroom, may have added some mood/ drama to the scene,

obviously i am expecting some motion on the flags rather freezing it, may have worked well,

although there are several elements, you can experiment with the shot and see the results,

but it is only a personal choice and how we see it differently, so all including you may not agree with the facts, but it is worth to give it a try to change the composition (may be breaking those rules), to change the pov, to give some mood and atmosphere to the sky and light at the digital darkroom, and see the results,

Hope it give some points, let see what others say...

cats_123
10 Jul 2010 - 8:27 PM

Many thanks `clicknimagine'...I was a little limited as the shot was taken from within a hangar, so had trouble getting any more sky...take your point about pov...will think about this more closely next opportunity. I value your input Smile.

although i was quite happy with the light, as you say, it's all about how we all see things differently...food for thought

Last Modified By cats_123 at 10 Jul 2010 - 8:28 PM
ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2010 - 8:59 PM

Actually I love flags and this is a cracking image 'cats' - please upload with a mods welcome I should love to have a 'go' at this super image.

The problem with it for me is it lacks passion - its too much about flags flying and not enough about pride and how you might have felt - its quite zippy (good sense of movement) but it is a poor composition all running off to the right and strange things going on in the fg with cones???

The light is happy, in fact its got a really nice 'feel good its a nice day' sense about it - and I think this is potentially a first class shot with a little tweaking.

Robert Smile

cats_123
10 Jul 2010 - 9:39 PM

for once I didn't upload with mods...if i get chance I'll delete and upload Smile

cats_123
10 Jul 2010 - 9:46 PM

mods

here you go Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.