Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Critique gallery

clicknimagine 5 221 88
22 Apr 2010 12:35PM
from the instructions given on the critique gallery, it can easily be said that the critique gallery is a learning zone, we, the members of the site, help each other to learn by offering critiques, we spend many hours in a day by offering critiques whenever get some time,

but unfortunately many members, particularly those members who are new to this site, do not follow the instructions given on the critique gallery, and probably they do not have any option to see these guidelines at the time of uploading an image to this site, they just casually upload an image by selecting the critique option devoid of voting, without any information about the camera, shot settings, their intention, often they do not even look back after uploading,

as the critique gallery is considered as a learning zone, i do not know why members are allowed to upload an image in that gallery without any information about the settings, camera and intention,

i think the guidelines given on the gallery should not remain optional, what do you all think about this including the critique team? or is it possible?...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 12:57PM
As long as there can be an option which says 'Sorry, I wouldn't know where to look to find that information'
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
22 Apr 2010 1:22PM
I have always said that we should have some move toward encouraging (not forcing) people to post more info or even just to talk about a shot in the crit gallery. Its not just an EPZ thing many people (esp those who are new) just don't know what info to provide, how to find the info nor quite specifically what question(s) they are hoping to get answered about their work
22 Apr 2010 1:32PM
As discussed in another topic regarding providing information about camera settings, we have plans to provide EXIF data import on uploads which will help prevent this issue.

You can see this feature in action already in Challenges
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
22 Apr 2010 1:50PM
It is frustrating getting an image in the CG with no text - mainly because you don't really know what they want to learn.

It's far easier answering a targetted question than just doing a generic critique.

Also, you may spend a paragraph describing something they know already - wasting both our times....
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
22 Apr 2010 3:17PM
I agree with most of the above except for the "don't know where to look" bit. If the critique option is ticked, there is an info bullet next to it explaining that it is for the critique gallery, and a direct link to the FAQs for the critique gallery. Hard to miss really. There has been plenty talk in the past behind the scenes about making comments compulsory etc, but the outcome is usually that compulsory is not the way to go, but rather persuasion. It's then a bit like at my work, or maybe just human nature Wink it seems no matter how many ways you try to alert people to information, some just don't see it..

The EXIF data will help (though it's often stripped out to save file size), but the most useful for us regular critiquers is as Ade says, you don't know what they want to learn, and you have to make assumptions about their level of competence
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
22 Apr 2010 3:23PM
Compulsary is bad really - I'm new on another forum and I've not read all the instructions on it, and to be honest am a bit lost and finding my feet

the people uploading stuff to the CG here will be the same, so just best to cut them some slack really.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Apr 2010 4:12PM

Quote:best to cut them some slack really

Absolutely....Smile Why not make a comment on the image, Along the lines of asking for the relevant information to be supplied before any critique can be offered...Wink

I have done this when I have the time, Have noticed others doing the same, Despite the plethora of those mentioned below.....Sad

The ones that " Tick Me Off " big time, Are the ones who choose to put " Nice Pic " etc etc etc, On an image in the " Critique " gallery, With no helpful or otherwise input.

Kinda defeats the whole objective, Or is it that their brains have stuck in " Click Mode " ......Grin
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
22 Apr 2010 4:24PM

Quote:As discussed in another topic regarding providing information about camera settings, we have plans to provide EXIF data import on uploads which will help prevent this issue.

You can see this feature in action already in Challenges

Great to hear that but I have to ask how the team will deal with this problem below

Quote:
The EXIF data will help (though it's often stripped out to save file size)

Unless people are with E2 they have to strip down their shots (save for web) to get them small enough to fit the size requirements for the upload.

Also when it comes to competance level unless I know the person I find that the best approach is to assume they know nothing and to work from there (in a nice manner of course and using some tact and savy - someone with 10 years membership and awards chances are they know where the on button is and such). The way I see it is that on a forum/website you are talking to both viewers and to the original artist so even if the explination you give is only going over old ground for the artist others who view the image and the comments and still directly benefit from the commenting. Further I find that its often a lot easier to communicate ones thoughts and ideas if one explains in detail rather than with shorter replies. A short reply might be missunderstood and they can often also appear to be more "rude" than a longer more worded reply by some (on the internet the language we use is of paramount importance since we don't have faces or gestures to aid our communication).
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 6:32PM
id like to see it perhaps a little more user friendly to the new arrivals. all too often, in fact mostly, they end up in the critique section unwittingly. even had a gentleman canvassing for his phototours in the critique gallery recently.

the request for data all seems clear above the critique section page but almost every image uploaded to it comes without data.

its near impossible to give a full critique without knowing why, what for and with what. i cant see why a system couldnt be adapted so a picture couldnt upload to critique unless info boxes were completed. (in the way you cant log in without the right password.

i also cant help but think the sites getting harder to navigate. im damned if i can suss how to upload a snap to the forum or find the weekend events page. each time i do its by accident. im damned if i can create shortcuts to these things and i spend half my life on here it seems.
regarding exif data. i simply add that to each of my uploads as a matter of courtesy to anyone who views my images. nothing to hide and anyway the final thing probably had 10 layers the exif data wouldnt show anyhow Wink
Phil
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
23 Apr 2010 10:57AM

Quote:its near impossible to give a full critique without knowing why, what for and with what.

I'd reverse that Phil and say that without knowing why and what for, you have to do a full critique - if you want to cover what they'r after that is Smile

More information narrows down what we need to do, makes our life easier.
23 Apr 2010 11:15AM

Quote:Great to hear that but I have to ask how the team will deal with this problem below

Quote:
The EXIF data will help (though it's often stripped out to save file size)

Unless people are with E2 they have to strip down their shots (save for web) to get them small enough to fit the size requirements for the upload.

Simple, by allowing larger uploads Smile
steve_kershaw 9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2010 11:21AM
when somebody clicks on "upload picture" and has the critique box checked, could there be a pop up box appear

saying
you have chosen the critique gallery
have you included bla bla bla
do you want to continue Y N
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Apr 2010 12:23PM
I doubt the EXIF feature will help hugely. Many people use the "Save for Web" function as a matter of course - and this strips out the EXIF information. In any event camera settings etc are just the bare bones. What any critiquer would really like to know is, to quote the FAQs:

Quote:Briefly try to point out what you were trying to achieve, and indicate any areas where you feel there is room for improvement.

It really is as simple as that - not rocket science! Wink We could probably live without the camera settings etc if we just had that.

The pop-up box idea is a good one; it could incorporate a reminder of the statement above, camera settings etc.
clicknimagine 5 221 88
28 Apr 2010 8:35AM
thanks a lot to all of you...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.