Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Critique Gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'm not going to point any fingers, but I get frustrated that some people submit image after image to the critique gallery, and don't appear to take any notice of the helpful comments they are given.

Over the last few years, you see the same members submitting images with the same faults repeatedly: not focussed, camera shake, exposure badly off, wonky horizons...and they are time and again given helpful and constructive advice which these people fail to heed.
There are people (like Willie for instance) who give great feedback and often show exactly how to do something and provide a mod for the submitter to see what can be achieved, yet the same faults appear on the next photo and the next, and so on. Do these people actually read the comments they have asked for?

You can see from the number of constructive posts, how many people give up a lot of time to help others - the least they could do is try to take notice.

Rant over!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Apr 2012 - 10:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHawthorne
26 Apr 2012 - 11:14 AM

I can sympathise, maybe even empathise to a certain degree, but what can you do? I've had a glance at some of the feedback you give and you are to be commended because you do give some good advice and give up quite a bit of your time in considering the images for critique. However it isn't only the original photographer that benefits from good critique, it is everyone who reads it. I've learnt things from critique given to other people. In cases where other people benefit, the original critic is often unaware of it and it can then seem disheartening, so I can only encourage you to keep going. Also giving good critique can be directly beneficial in your own photography, although maybe not so obvious, because it can reinforce what you've learnt and that can help when it comes to practising it.

Hope that helps a little,
John.

User_Removed
26 Apr 2012 - 11:16 AM

It's not just the Critique gallery either.

Some people don't acknowledge anything at all.
That's one of the reasons I just can't be bothered anymore.
And I'm sorry to say that the other reason will become clear when this get's deleted.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 26 Apr 2012 - 11:17 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 11:18 AM

Quote: The other reason will become clear when this get's deleted.

YAWN!!!!

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 1:04 PM

I think John has summed it up admirably. Quite a few members both on and off the Critique Team do give up valuable time to help others, and the sad reality of life is that a lot of it goes unacknowledged. There are really two issues - not acknowledging and not learning from advice.Unfortunately, although both are frustrating, no-one can be forced to either acknlowledge or to learn from something offered to them. Time-served critique team members (and other regular non-CT member contributors) have to some extent learned to live with this and see a bigger picture where their input is helpful whether or not acknowledged.

Others like Gerry get annoyed by this and so don't contribute, which is fine and understandable (though why he thinks his comment should be deleted I've no idea and find Pete's yawning infectious....)

Sooty, you give a lot of constructive critiques and get some good critique points, while some of your comments get ignored. That's par for the course. I'm sure Pete won't mind me mentioning that we're working behind the scenes on introducing some changes to the Critique gallery which will prompt and encourage posters to interact and acknowledge more. That should be a useful improvement, but won't be a magic wand - we can't change human nature...

Stephen

SimonAlesbrook
26 Apr 2012 - 2:10 PM

Can't we all just get on Sad Wink

Last Modified By SimonAlesbrook at 26 Apr 2012 - 2:10 PM
FlashBangPicture

Quote:
YAWN!!!!

and relax ... Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 2:27 PM

Quote: Do these people actually read the comments they have asked for?

No. Smile

But as has been said, the comments can be helpful to others who are stopping by.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 2:39 PM

Quote: and relax ...

touche... lol

TRUEX
TRUEX  7218 forum posts10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 2:41 PM

Quote: YAWN!!!!

and relax ... Wink

You should get that printed in big black letters on a white t-shirt Pete...Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 3:12 PM

Pete should use that response far more often - it would certainly help him to relax! Wink

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Apr 2012 - 4:08 PM

Have to say I havnt been on here long (less than a year) and I put quite a few photos in for critique, I cant wait for a reply if Im honest and try and take everything on board. And its always much appreciated by me.

stevew10000
stevew10000 e2 Member 262 forum postsstevew10000 vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2012 - 4:13 PM

Although I haven't posted anything for critique I have learnt a lot from what many have said.

I'm sorry that I haven't taken the time to publicly thank those that take the time to do so. It is very much appreciated.

Pete
26 Apr 2012 - 6:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that I haven't taken the time to publicly thank those that take the time to do so. It is very much appreciated.

It always useful if you learn something on someones picture to say so if you have time. The quickest way is by ticking the nominate as useful critique option...even better if you add a few words to say how it helped. That way people are more encouraged to make further comments and the site grows as a result.

losbarbados
26 Apr 2012 - 6:30 PM

I've had a few images in the critique gallery, and I think I respond / interact with everyone. I may not be giving constructive votes as often as I could, but I don't really want to be click happy with it so I tend to err on the side of underuse rather than overuse. I do hope that I learn from what is written in the comments, and I try not to make the same mistakes over and over.

Please if you offer critique then continue to do so - it is gratefully received by those of us trying to improve - there are of course those that just want people to comment on their pictures for the sake of commenting, but I hope you don't feel the need to stop offering the advice to those appreciate it because of the few that don't want to learn.

As a point of reference, any advice given to me is constructive

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.