Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Critique Gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AndyD999
AndyD999  243 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 6:32 PM

Is it me or over the last few days a lot of bog standard pictures started to appear on the critique gallery. I am all for people putting pictures on and its the only way we learn. I have learnt a lot from adding pictures and people giving me feed back. But some of the pictures look like they have been taken on a phone camera or that they just took a picture because they thought it looked nice with no after thought at all.

I myself am no pro and class myself as a very basic beginner but i am always very selective about what pictures i put on the gallery. I never try to flood it and only try to put pictures on that i think maybe to some sort of standard.

Thats it i guess rant over

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2012 - 6:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
28 Jun 2012 - 7:32 PM

I was intrigued by your post and, never having looked at this "Critique Gallery", I took a peek.

Bloody hell. I see what you mean.

It seems to be part of the "Click Clique" mentality - a load of garbage photographs with all the usual inane clichés in response such as "Amazing Capture", "Great Image" and such moronic comment. Almost as bad as Flickr.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Jun 2012 - 7:35 PM
robthecamman
28 Jun 2012 - 7:38 PM

a guy said to me once be happy with the photos you take for urself.dont fall into the trap of wanting everyone else to love them too

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 7:47 PM

Everyone has to start somewhere - how do you know that's not what is happening here? And I can't say I have seen much in the way of the two word compliment on the critique gallery, even though I fairly regularly post and critique there. I have had excellent feedback that has helped me see my images in different ways and think of ways forward with projects. Some people are rather bad at letting critiquers know if they have said something relevant, though, and it's nice to get feedback one way or the other!

robthecamman
28 Jun 2012 - 7:54 PM

i agree and different people want different things in there photography too.

RichPitman
28 Jun 2012 - 8:04 PM

Firstly I would say its not just the critique gallery. And secondly, its not so much the quality of the photos that bothers me - as Sue says, everyone has to start somewhere. Its the lack of any critique in some of the comments! If you haven't any constructive critique for an image in the critique gallery, then don't comment!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 8:05 PM

Quote: A guy said to me once be happy with the photos you take for urself.dont fall into the trap of wanting everyone else to love them too

But people put their images into the Critique Gallery ostensibly to get an insight into where they may be going wrong and get some truthful comments. If you don't want critique, don't put it into the Critique Gallery.

robthecamman
28 Jun 2012 - 8:14 PM

iv not used the critique gallery iv thought that comments could be made rightly or wrongly in the ordinary gallery when voted on

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 10:32 PM

i think you may just possibly be missing the point.

when a picture is uploaded to the critique gallery it automatically appears in the normal gallery.

this means that those who flood through all the images adding basic comments possibly may have done so without realising the picture was posted for critique.

additionally there has been a lot of images posted inadvertantly to the critique gallery by new members who just ticked the wrong box and equally there has been a lot of team talk about how to avoid these situations and hense the recent poll on the critique gallery which it was hoped would raise awareness.

hope this helps.
Phil

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2012 - 10:35 PM

I've been a regular user of the CG since I came to the conclusion that because of the way in which they're misused and abused, votes had ceased to have any meaning or merit and for a long time, I found it a useful, positive and constructive part of the site.
I think though that Andy's right.
It's not the same as it used to be, the critique guys still offer all their help and support as they always have done but there's now a trend for some members to want to upload mods. of just about every image in there, usually applying the same manipulation each time.
Then there are the ones who post their own version of critique,which reads like the book it probably came from, who constantly carp on about rules of composition as if they were set in stone, repeating the same things like some kind of mantra.
The ones who comment in there because they relish the thought of receiving some kind of praise or gratification for their efforts rather than because they want to genuinely help another member.
We've even got a 'league table' to help us see who has the most points against our names!
Another problem is a lack of manners in the way in which some so-called critique is applied. Posters in there want to know how their work might be improved. It's possible to tell them that without belittling them or stamping any personal bias upon it.
A number of once regular visitors to the CG no longer use it because of the way it's becoming, which is a shame because without their presence and that of others, willing to participate properly, I fear that it will cease to have any real value.
I wouldn't describe it as 'cliquey' though; certainly not in the way that the 'cliquers' operate in the main gallery anyway. The reason that the 'ooh lovely!' shots find their way in is that, very occasionally, a cliquer will upload in there and his or her mates follow it by default.
All of which is just my opinion of course but I do speak, having had some experience of the CG and having seen some pretty unpleasant exchanges in there due to inflated egos and an inability to accept that, just maybe, you could be wrong.

Hope this helps,

Bren.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014051 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2012 - 7:07 AM

Quote: Iv not used the critique gallery iv thought that comments could be made rightly or wrongly in the ordinary gallery when voted on

they can

Jestertheclown
29 Jun 2012 - 9:16 AM

Quote: they can

True Chris but it's advisable to do so with a certain amount of caution.
There's a lot of people who's egos don't allow them to take unasked for critique kindly. I'm sure that you'll know the kind of thing. As a mod., you must have had to step in on occasions.
It's certainly not something that I'd consider doing again; in fact, it was one of the reasons that I migrated to the CG in the first place.

User_Removed
29 Jun 2012 - 9:43 AM

Never having used it, maybe I shouldn't comment. But that never stopped me before Smile

Surely the purpose of a "Critique Gallery" is to facilitate people who actively seek honest and informed criticism. Not people who crave uncritical praise for a poor image. And I think that is where the OP was starting from.

I agree that beginners should be encouraged but that should not extend to offering inane clichés about their images in the expectation that they will do the same for you in return.

Frankly, I would have my doubts about the mindset of someone who placed an image in a "Critique Gallery and was then upset if they received honest criticism. Really they should just steer clear.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012549 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2012 - 9:49 AM

Theres very little in the way of bad responses to critique in the gallery, theres a huge membership but issues arising from the giving or receiving of critique are limited to a tiny percentage of the membership. As moderators we have had to intervene in a couple of cases recently but its usually the same people.

The Critique gallery provides some excellent advice and some of the comments in this thread do it unjust service, and those that help within it.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96225 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2012 - 9:57 AM

I occasionally upload to the critique gallery and have to say that the critique team members are quite detailed / specific with their advice, now and again it is using a technique with software I do not have so cannot take advantage of BUT it is good advice nevertheless Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.