Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Critique rankings . . . ?

darranl e2
5 318 England
27 Mar 2012 4:35PM

Quote:Do they approve their own comments as it appears some of those at the top of the list are or have been Critique team members ?

A British government style EPZ scandal - critique points for critique team members Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2012 4:42PM
I'm dead chuffed at 49th - i spent a while thinking it was pointless as image posters never bothered to mark my comments as constructive - but then they may have been frequently right Wink

But then recently noticed that as critique is reviewed by epz you do get points - what's selfishly nice for me is that if you understand what can be improved in others photo's there is at least some chance in not making the same mistakes in your own photo's. And if this helps someone else then its a bonus.
Tooth e2
9 5.8k 227 Ireland
27 Mar 2012 4:46PM
NO No No Critique team members do not approve their own comments - they will approve the comments of another member of the team if someone else has nominated it for a constructive critique point a (and if they consider it worthy of it). They have a lot of points because they are on the Critique Team and spend a lot of their own time in the Critique Gallery and give a lot of constructive critiques

It's worth pointing out that if you extended the list beyond those on the page, there are several non-CT members who also give selflessly to the gallery and have amassed much more points than some of us in the Critique Team - and a public hats off to them. It shows though that the one and only reason someone has a lot of critique points is becasue they have given a lot of good critiques

I think JJ's point above is the reason why I think turning it into a ranking is a bad idea - it leads to either people trying to work the system to get a good score (as David says very difficult to do )..

or..

to other people jumping to their own, often erroneous, conclusions, or at least harbouring their suspicions
Brian_Scott e2
5 42 27 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2012 4:51PM

Quote:68th I am......hehehe....

It says im 68th aswell so move over Cole Smile
On the wonderful all new and all extremely useful Critique Rankings page, I am puzzled to see:

This Weeks

Why this weeks?
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
27 Mar 2012 6:16PM
Why any of it?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2012 6:22PM
why not?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
27 Mar 2012 6:32PM
Cheer up you miserable lot.
There are lots of things in this world that are sadder than this.
No likey, no lighty! Tongue
This = singular weeks = plural

How can you get this weeks?
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
27 Mar 2012 6:36PM

Quote:why not?

I just think it's all very childish Chris.
I use the CG in the hope that I might learn something and perhaps help others to do the same. I don't need to see my name on a list of the greatest contributors.
Despite what Pete said to me earlier, that, to my mind, is going to be a huge ego trip for some people and as such it belittles the whole ethos of the CG.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
27 Mar 2012 6:39PM
Whoops!

I've just pressed the wrong button and turned my own above post into a 'helpful post.'

I didn't think that you were supposed to be able to do that.
lobsterboy e2
27 Mar 2012 6:46PM

Quote:Despite what Pete said to me earlier, that, to my mind, is going to be a huge ego trip for some people and as such it belittles the whole ethos of the CG.

If the end result is loads more good critiques, where is the harm? even if people do it as an ego trip then the CG user still benefits.
People said a similar thing about the little CG medals..in practice they hardly seem to have made much difference to anything.
lobsterboy e2
27 Mar 2012 6:47PM

Quote:Whoops!

I've just pressed the wrong button and turned my own above post into a 'helpful post.'

I didn't think that you were supposed to be able to do that.

don't sound right to me, maybe you have special dispensation for just being a helpful chap Smile
devlin e2
4 651 39 India
27 Mar 2012 7:07PM
well...it definitely tells us we need more people participating Smile, looks to be an interesting statistical exercise
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2012 7:10PM

Quote:don't sound right to me
Been like that for a while, makes no sense to me either, and you can 'like' your own comments too!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.