Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Critique wanted - Versus - Votes wanted...

p12owe 2 101 2 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2013 11:14PM
Since joining the site a few months ago, I have been mulling over the advantages/disadvantages of posting images for votes and awards or asking for critique. (apparently you can't have your cake and eat it!Tongue). My main aim when joining the site was to improve my photography skills and I have to say that I think I have, even though it has been a steep learning curve. I have received a lot of encouragement, but also learnt some quite hard, but nescessary lessons along the way.

I have set my aim for this year to achieve my LRPS, so feel I might be better off looking for critique rather than votes. I would like to get opinions from all of you as to what experiences you have had and your own feelings from both sides. If you post to the main gallery with votes enabled...why? or if you post for critique... why, and how valuable has that critique been? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
28 Jan 2013 11:25PM
It's a personal choice. I like to see who's been looking, and if a picture is attracting interest. However, I used to post only to the Critique Gallery for awhile. It gives you different perspectives on your photography, and is definitely very helpful. If you are mostly interested in learning, choose those photos that you would like advice on, and post for critique.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Jan 2013 11:30PM

Quote:If you are mostly interested in learning, choose those photos that you would like advice on, and post for critique.

Agree with this and ask specific questions that you want to understand or share information about how the photo was taken and what you were trying to achieve to enable those critiquing to be on the right lines when offering advice.
28 Jan 2013 11:50PM
Quote:If you are mostly interested in learning, choose those photos that you would like advice on, and post for critique.

I think I am more interested to know why some images did not do well rather than have opinions on those that did. Is it possible to re-submit images for critique only at a later date? I suppose my main concern is that whilst I believe I am improving in photographic and processing technique, this is not always supported in the success of an image when posted.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
28 Jan 2013 11:56PM
I agree with all the above, but remember also that you can have a little bit of your cake and eat it - posting in the regular gallery (ie not ticking the critique button) doesn't ban people from giving critique on a shot (though it does make it muchless likely. However, you can inmprove the chancesd of getting critique on a non-critique gallery shot by stating clearly a) on your profile page and b)on the description of the photo, that you actively welcome constructive critique. Many people are loath to give unsolicited critique in case they offend (some people just don't want it and can't handle it - but if you make it clear that you welcome it, there's a chance..
29 Jan 2013 12:12AM
I did this tonight as a bit of an experiment, I asked for critique and ticked modifications allowed on "The boy inside" and was pleased to get a good response. I do feel that people are less likely to criticise in the main gallery though. From my own experience, if I feel an image is poor I will often just move on for fear of offending, even if critique is requested.

I suppose another problem is the lack of visibility in the main gallery. In the time that it remains recent enough to be visible my image might get thirty unique views of which twenty might vote and five leave a comment. Would that image have better longevity in the critique gallery?
Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 1:02AM
If you want some 1:1 feeback on your images for an LRPS panel feel free to send some my way if you like? I'm currently off work having had an Operation and not an awful lot to do apart from editing images.

The critique you generally receive when requesting it I don't think will help you choose an LRPS panel if thats what your aiming for? I'm not saying I'm a great photographer just I think I have an idea what they are looking for in an LRPS

Regards
Nick
ARPS, EFIAP, DPAGB, BPE4*
29 Jan 2013 1:41AM
I apparently was of the opinion that I could get both votes and critique, failed to read the fine print again Lol. I really like the idea of people approving of a shot that I have taken by voting, but in reality at my talent and knowledge level critique is probably better. Especially if it is a shot that I feel I have done well at. If my thought proccess improves in my shooting due to critique be it good or bad, then I think critique is better. GrinGrin

Shakey
hi14ry 2 21 England
29 Jan 2013 4:25AM
Just joining the conversation as on night shift Tongue On the back of Nick's comment I think it would be helpful if the site could add a section in the "Inspiration" about applying for creditation (LRPS) and more. It would be great to hear from members who have been through the process, how they found the experience, how they decided on the images they presented and what feed back they got.

As Pete's partner I am also trying to get together images for LRPS but to be honist I don't have a clue where to start!! What gets a high mark at club level gets a low mark on here (or visa-versa) so you end up not having any idea what the pannel think is a worthy image. Soooo difficult! H xx
Philo e2
4 87 83 England
29 Jan 2013 6:39AM
Since joining the site most of my images have been in the critique gallery and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is a great place to learn.
As you have suggested, you can repost an image in the main gallery after it has been critiqued, or vice-versa. If you don't have a shot to upload every day then you could post every image twice.
Another way is to just tick the modifications box as this can sometimes attract critique. I also agree with Stephen that if you make it clear that critique is welcome then it is more likely to happen.
Good luck with your LRPS application.
Phil
capto e2
2 1.5k 7 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 9:07AM
If mods are enabled, and you get some which you think are an improvement or a different approach which you like, just ask how. Another lesson learnt.

ivor
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
29 Jan 2013 10:05AM

Quote:you can repost an image in the main gallery after it has been critiqued, or vice-versa.

Surely the best way would be to re-post in the main gallery after re-working the image to take into account the critique received?
That way you get advice on improvements then an assessment of the improvements.
However I would never put too much importance on the number of votes received in the main gallery. As an E2 member you can see who has voted for your image. 8 or 10 votes from people who you know produce good work is worth far more than 20-30 votes from unknowns.
29 Jan 2013 10:24AM

Quote:The critique you generally receive when requesting it I don't think will help you choose an LRPS panel if thats what your aiming for? I'm not saying I'm a great photographer just I think I have an idea what they are looking for in an LRPS

That is a generous offer Nick and one I will pursue with you. I have deliberately kept my PF as varied as possible, with the emphasis on developing different skills and techniques. I do not necessarily gauge the quality of the image on the votes it gets or awards received, but clearly it remains a factor. Interestingly, as I feel my technical and photography skills improving, I am getting better responses from other members, but much less from editors. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad.... Tongue

I am quite curious that you feel that critique here would not be useful for LRPS, and wonder why? Could you or anyone else who holds this view, elaborate on the reasons behind this statement.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
29 Jan 2013 10:38AM
One of our members wrote an article on gaining RPS distinctions which may help?
Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 10:57AM
p12owe - I just felt apart from the unhelpful comments of "great shot" etc alot of photographers are not very keen on club photography. Of course club photography is a personal choice but at the LRPS stage good club level iS the mark to reach.

Have you been on the LRPS section of the RPS site where you can see examples of successful panels?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.