Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Critique wanted - Versus - Votes wanted...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 11:29 AM

Quote:
Have you been on the LRPS section of the RPS site where you can see examples of successful panels?

Yes, and have also found some interesting stuff at the RPS forums. I can't help feeling it would be far more useful if the RPS posted some examples of panels that failed (and the reasons why ) in addition to just showing those that passed. After reading much of their literature, and discounting the very obvious photographic errors, I still seem to be no wiser as to what makes the difference between a successful or failed panel.

I'm not sure why people are so averse to clubs. I belong to one of the biggest and most well respected clubs in my area and have found that I have already improved a lot since joining. I do moderate the images I submit for competitions as the judges tastes do seem a bit old-school (nothing too creative!), but that said, in my second year, I am currently leading the DPI table, so this does give me some hope for the LRPS!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jan 2013 - 11:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hazelmouse
29 Jan 2013 - 12:24 PM

Re: LRPS. I can highly recommend attending one of the regional advice days - you can go just as an observer ( I did the first time) or take pictures. Also at Focus on Imaging you can watch LRPS panels being assessed - you would then see some fail.

One of the things that is hard to grasp is the successful making of a 'panel' - an art in itself and best seen in progress I feel.

keithh
keithh  1022766 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 12:31 PM

People fail the LRPS? Pull the other one. Wink

Hazelmouse
29 Jan 2013 - 12:40 PM

Not enough fivers.Smile

Nick_Hilton
29 Jan 2013 - 12:45 PM

p12owe - Another flaw of club photography I think your have just demostrated, just because you are top in your club does not mean your a good photographer or have the skill an LRPS panel requires, its just you might have been lucky by appealing to the judges (another slipperly slope of a club!).

Nick

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 12:48 PM

Quote: People fail the LRPS? Pull the other one

a lot of people fail the LRPS. you would be surprised at the standard required,

sit in at Focus, or see about an advisery day. well worth the effort and pays dividends

its just not about selecting 10 good pictures, failing to properly read the requirements is often the reason for failure. its all about variety of technique and approach whilst keeping a balance of forms and shapes within the panel. not easy at all, sounds so easy. just try making 10 pictures into a panel and you will be surprised.

see you at focus

Phil

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 12:51 PM

struggling to see the benefit of these RPS things.... is it just for your ego?

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 12:56 PM

Elo Ade,

nope, not if you dont use the letters, just a personal target / challange, like any other qualifications.

might be an ego thing with some. in fact sure it is.

Phil

Nick_Hilton
29 Jan 2013 - 1:09 PM

Ade,
I would say its something to work towards to say you have achieved a recognised standard. Where as in your line of work the recognised standard is bringing in the money Grin

p12owe
29 Jan 2013 - 1:12 PM

Quote: P12owe - Another flaw of club photography I think your have just demostrated, just because you are top in your club does not mean your a good photographer or have the skill an LRPS panel requires, its just you might have been lucky by appealing to the judges (another slipperly slope of a club!).

Nick

Thanks for that Nick! If you read my introduction on my PF you will see that I make absolutely no pretense at being anything other than a beginner, and of course, if I thought I already had the skill the LRPS requires I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place....

You clearly have some issues with club photography, (which was not the main point of the thread, so probably best left for another thread!) and whilst I respect your views, many people do gai a lot in terms of improving skills and getting good critique from some very good clubs around the country.

Quote: Struggling to see the benefit of these RPS things.... is it just for your ego?

Not ego Ade, just something to work towards at what is always a pretty miserable time of year for me, and hopefully a tangible measure of my improvement in skills, rather than just a self-inflated perception of that improvement.

Nick_Hilton
29 Jan 2013 - 1:19 PM

Grin Quite wrong I am afraid, I am a member of a large sucessful photography club which has been running for 120 years (some of the member look that old too!).
I am just saying club photography and pleasing the judge has its pitfalls. As its been said before some do it for money others for a hobby and some for the social life.

p12owe
29 Jan 2013 - 1:33 PM

Quote: I am just saying club photography and pleasing the judge has its pitfalls. As its been said before some do it for money others for a hobby and some for the social life.

Well I'm glad we cleared that up... I thinkTongue

So back to the original point, and assuming nobody is going to talk me out of my egotistical journey to the LRPS, is it better, to put images up for critique only or continue to post in the main gallery?

Any thought?Grin

NEWMANP
29 Jan 2013 - 2:08 PM

if attaining your lrps with those that you offer for critique is your goal. then i think its the wrong approach altogether.
yes i agree that each image needs scrutiny for obvious flaws but presentation of the final print with mounting and particuarly paneling is just as important.

thats another point. rejection rates are very high with projected digital images.

you need to show your panel as a whole pasted onto one sheet and then show individual images as varients or versions in the critique gallery. post me a reminder when you do, and i will happlily look at the set as a whole and give you my humble opinion

after that print and mounting quality would be down to you

Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 29 Jan 2013 - 2:13 PM
p12owe
29 Jan 2013 - 2:34 PM

Thanks Phil,
I would only probably be looking for critique on the individual images to decide whether they come up to scratch photographically.

I had always thought to submit a panel as prints, as it would seem sensible that if the panel is being judged as a whole, it should be seen as a whole (perhaps easier and more logical as prints). My main concern with the panel is that because my style and techniques are quite varied, I have no idea how to bring together a cohesive panel without repetition (I'm not even sure if I know what a cohesive panel is!)

I had originally intended to start with the CPAGB as they judge the images individually, but the two year club participation rule, followed by a 12 month waiting list has pushed me towards the LRPS instead. I will certainly follow your good advice as to posting the panel as versions, but fear I may need some more advice before I reach this point. Still, if it wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be worth doing would it!Grin

Nick_Hilton
29 Jan 2013 - 3:01 PM

Personally I would not even entertain doing prints, as not just the image but the printing and mounting add more factors into it. Its rubbish to say projected images are judged more hashly either.
Never mind the extra expense of printing and mounting

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.