Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cropping question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RCM
    RCM  2
    3 Sep 2012 - 9:29 PM

Hi,

Just registered & already learning lots from your helpful forum...

My question relates to whether it is best practice to keep an image true to its original proportions when cropping. E.g. when I'm using the crop tool in Lightroom should I be keeping the "original" dimensions locked or does it not really matter if I change the proportions to whatever I feel best shows off the image?

Up to now I've just been cropping to whatever proportions suits but was wondering if this is somewhat frowned upon should I get to the stage of entering competitions, getting stuff published etc. Does that require a more conventional size ratio & therefore should I get in the habit of doing this now?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Sep 2012 - 9:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
    mlewis  101476 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:07 PM

It's usually best to crop to whatever you think works best. It's what I do. There does not have to be a fixed aspect ratio for all pictures.

dandeakin
    dandeakin  7201 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:19 PM

I would try and stick to a 'standard' crop ratio eg 3:2 , 4:3 etc as if and when you come to print & frame your images it will be vastly easier to do so. Eg if you get 4 or 5 picture frames that can mount a 12x8 inch print then you can just print a new image when you feel like changing whatever it is that you've got on your wall.

That said, for internet use it really doesn't matter.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96353 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:28 PM

Crop to what you feel is best for the image.

If they are for prints then one can get the mattes / frames in standard ratios / sizes and cut the aperture of the matte to suit the print.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 3 Sep 2012 - 10:29 PM
    RCM
    RCM  2
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:35 PM

Got it, thanks all

dandeakin
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:45 PM

Only if your happy to a) cut a new mount every time you want to frame an image and b) have mount dimensions that are unequal on the horizontal and vertical e.g. 5cm on the top and bottom, 3cm on the left and right for the mount aperture.

The first panoramic image that I framed had a ratio of something like 3.129x1 because that was how I cropped it. I had a custom frame/mount made. Every panoramic image that has subsequently been in the frame has had to be cropped to the same random dimensions. I wish I had just stuck to a standard crop size e.g. 3:1. Particularly as I could have printed two panoramic images onto each 18x12 inch print.

dandeakin
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:46 PM

That said , for Internet or competition use it really doesn't matter

Jestertheclown
    3 Sep 2012 - 10:53 PM

I'll crop my images to whatever size and shape I think looks best but I do tend to stick to 'standard' dimensions, ie. print ratios where I can, simply so that printing them should I ever choose to do so, won't involve any clipping or strange borders.
    But like everything else in photography, there are no rules.

User_Removed
    4 Sep 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yep. Deciding the ratio of the final print is part of the overall artistic process of creating your photograph. Don't be bound by conventions imposed by paper manufacturers or Supasnaps.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.