Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cropping to square in PS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
17 Aug 2012 - 12:44 PM

Does anybody know of a quick method of cropping an image to a square in Photoshop (CS5). At the moment I'm using the Crop tool and using the ruler at the top and side of the screen to 'guesstimate' the square i.e I drag the tool so that ( for landscape format) the width is equal to the height and vice versa for a portrait format. However, this means that I have to > IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE to see how accurate I've been and invariably, on a 17"x 11" size image, I'm out by anything up to 1/2". This means I have to go back to Image Size and trim off the extra.

What I'm after is to be able to have the Crop tool as a square so that I can move it around the image and select the best view and then crop.

Any suggestions? (Hope all the above is clear Sad)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Aug 2012 - 12:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
17 Aug 2012 - 12:48 PM

Type 1 in each of the size boxes for the crop tool and the frame will be a square. You can then resize it and move it as required.

rossd
17 Aug 2012 - 12:57 PM

Tried it, done it, like it....................many thanks Sabreur for a very rapid response.

(Simple when you know how Smile)

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 12:58 PM

You should have a 5x5 square crop drop down in the Crop box at the top of the picture. No need to type in anything if you use that.
x

rossd
17 Aug 2012 - 1:14 PM

Quote: You should have a 5x5 square crop drop down in the Crop

There is a range of sizes (5x3, 5x4 5x7 etc) but no 5x5 (not in my version anyway). Besides if I have an 'odd' sized image (say 15x8.3) the square crop would be 8.3 x 8.3.

Also, I should have added that with Sabreur's solution, I used the dimension of the short side in the size box and not 1".

Jestertheclown
17 Aug 2012 - 2:36 PM

If you have an image of 15x8.3, using a square crop will do just that. It will crop a square out of it, removing the bits that, presumably, you don't want.
Your original image will never become square by cropping.
To retain all of its contents, you'd need to resize it to square dimensions. Which will cause all manner of distortions.
You're right that there's not a 'square' option in the drop down in CS5.
To create one, open an image, type 1 into both of the dimension boxes, then open the drop down and click on the little right pointing arrow.
Click on "new tool preset" and you're done.
It might be saved in inches or some other measurement type but it won't make any difference. It's the shape that you require.
Just drop that on top of your image and pull on one of the corners until you've got the crop that you want. Provided that it's at least as large as you want the finished article to be, you can resize it afterwards.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 17 Aug 2012 - 2:43 PM
SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 2:45 PM

Another piece of (probably useless) information. If you select the rectangular selection tool and press the shift button just after you start to draw your selection, it will make a square selection/crop box. If you hold down alt at the start of this process, the box will be centred on the point you started from. I must say, I find this more useful for circles! Grin

rossd
17 Aug 2012 - 3:07 PM

Quote: To retain all of its contents, you'd need to resize it to square dimensions. Which will cause all manner of distortions.

You're quite right and thats not what I wanted.

Quote: To create one, open an image, type 1 into both of the dimension boxes, then open the drop down and click on the little right pointing arrow.
Click on "new tool preset" and you're done.

Hadn't thought of that but I assumed you had to 'save' a preset of fixed size (i.e 10"x10") and therefore it would be no use where the required image size was (as my previous example) 8.3x8.3".

Jestertheclown
17 Aug 2012 - 3:17 PM

I think that you'll find that the 'sizes' applied to the presets actually refer to the aspect ratio insomuch as they're all based on print sizes.
In other words, a crop of '8x10' inches doesn't mean that your image will finish up that size, it will finish up the correct shape to make an '8x10' inch print. Your image will still be much larger.
They don't actually resize your image.
Try cropping something to a preset, then go to "image>image size>document size."

Quote: Hadn't thought of that but I assumed you had to 'save' a preset of fixed size (i.e 10"x10") and therefore it would be no use where the required image size was (as my previous example) 8.3x8.3".

The 10x10 (for example) homemade preset will give you a generic square crop template. Any dimensions would do provided they are the same, of course, and will work like my example above. 8.3x8.3 will do the same.
You would just crop out the square that you require, disregarding the rest. Save it. Then resize it to 8.3x83 using your favourite method.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 17 Aug 2012 - 3:23 PM
rossd
17 Aug 2012 - 4:04 PM

Quote: homemade preset will give you a generic square crop template. Any dimensions would do provided they are the same,

Got it now. It's the 1:1 ratio that's important not the actual measurements. You can use any 1:1 proportion (ie 10"x10") and using the Crop tool this will give you a square. However, this changes the resolution and so this has to be changed back to 300ppi or 72ppi or whatever as required. This of course will change the actual dimensions but you still end up with a square crop.

The image size for my 600D is approx 16"x11"(@ 300ppi) straight from the camera so if I have a preset of 11X11 that should do it.

Thanks to all. i hope others found this useful ( I did! Smile)

Jestertheclown
17 Aug 2012 - 4:10 PM

Quote: It's the 1:1 ratio that's important

Yep! in fact, I've just been comparing the drop downs in CS5 and CS6 and the ones in CS6 aren't described in inches followed by the resolution. They're simply figures, for example: 1x1 square is the one you'd use to get a square crop. There's no reference to inches, resolution or size at all.

Amd speaking of resolution, sorry. I should have remembered that.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 17 Aug 2012 - 4:16 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 4:38 PM

Sue's advice works also with the crop tool and personally I find this the easiest method. Select the crop tool. Press and hold shift as you drag the crop tool over the image. Job done.

thewilliam
17 Aug 2012 - 6:10 PM

Do folks make good use of tool presets and actions?

They save a lot of time and allow me to see my family occasionally!

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 6:22 PM

Rarely actions as each pic for me is a one off (except when I have been persuaded to shoot weddings..... Aaaghh!) But I do check out presets before reinventing the wheel. As you say, saves time!

Jestertheclown
17 Aug 2012 - 6:26 PM

I find tool presets handy but rarely use actions because I always feel that each image is different to the one that the action was written for. Even if I wrote it!
I've got quite a collection of actions but I always seem to end up doing something else after I've run one..

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.