Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cry for help: Kingston-upon-Thames and environs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    StephenBrighton

My life is continuing to change. I'll be married in April to my darling Caroline. She lives in Kingston and I'll be moving from Brighton to be with her.

With the exception of certain stretches of the river and the nearby Bushy and Richmond Parks, I have yet to be photographically inspired by the area.

This thought I find particularly weird as it goes against my belief that great photos can be found anywhere! So, here is the point of this posting. Can you help me please? I need a guide, friend, experienced EPZer to nudge me towards photo opportunities in and around Kingston-upon-Thames. Who do you know who can help?

Thank you

Stephen

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Mar 2010 - 8:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    15 Mar 2010 - 8:29 PM

I have the very same problem in Boring Suffolk.
    Flat, lifeless, featureless and boring.

Good luck with your photography Stephen.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    JJGEE
    JJGEE  96219 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 8:49 PM

Stephen

Quote: I'll be married in April to my darling Caroline. She lives in Kingston and I'll be moving from Brighton to be with her.

Congratulations Stephen, and best wishes to yourself & Caroline for a long lasting & happy future together Smile

I will certainly miss your images from around the Brighton area Sad
    Thank you for sharing them with us.

I remember as a child my parents taking me for a river trip from Hampton Court to Windsor, so that may be worth considering for the Summer.

As to what else, not too familiar with the area, but you obviously already know about the Hampton Court flower festival and Kew Gardens, which is probably where I would spend some time, being a fan of Wakehurst Place.

I have no doubt that once settled you will be finding inspiration all around and hopefully will also have time to upload & share with us here on epz whatever you find Smile

Jeff

Last Modified By JJGEE at 15 Mar 2010 - 8:50 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    CanonPlodder
    15 Mar 2010 - 8:54 PM

Hi Ya
    My son lives in Teddington. Visited both the parks and had some good photography.

Just to remind you KEW is just up the road.

Anyway Brighton isn't that far away

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Goggz
    Goggz e2 Member 72301 forum postsGoggz vcard Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 8:58 PM

My bro lives there, but isn't a photographer... however when we visited him we spent a very pleasant evening strolling upstream on the south bank of the Thames bank. There was loads to photograph!! I've just been through the pictures and they range from swans & other birds, river craft, people, trees, abstracts, dereliction, pubs, toadstools, spiders and buildings! All in a few hours...

Kew Gardens is just down the road [edit: beaten to it!] and if you get bored with that place you could always start a family Wink Then you'll be too tired to take pictures LOL

ANyway, good luck with your adventures and I hope you have a great life with Caroline.

Cheers, Goggz

Last Modified By Goggz at 15 Mar 2010 - 8:59 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110169 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:06 PM

not lived there for 30 odd years but:

wetland centre at Barnes
    Chessington Zoo
    Windsor and Eton
    Wisley
    + loads more others are within easy reach

collywobles
    16 Mar 2010 - 8:44 AM

My son has an apartment overlooking the Thames just along from the Bridge and I'm there quite often. Just walk along the river in both directions - you'll be surprised what you will find. Hampton Court is a mere walk away.

StephenBrighton

Thank you

I have a feeling that I might be revisiting different areas of photography such as macros and other close-ups instead of photographing the town

Toonman
    Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2010 - 5:22 PM

Stephen it's a great area and only a bus ride into London. (Love Brighton as well though)
    Adam

SurreyHillsMan
    SurreyHillsMan e2 Member 627 forum postsSurreyHillsMan vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2010 - 10:18 PM

Don't forget the "rut" in Bushy & Richmond in October Grin

Graflex
    Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Mar 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi,Stephan,
    Take a look at the other posting re Richmond & Twickenham Exhibition.
    If you are in the area during Easter,why not pop in there(just down the road from Kingston).See how they cope with photographing this part of the world.

I shot a whole series of pictures back in the 1970's of life around here,only because I live near here myself,You will see one picture,on my pages I took from Kingston Bridge of a lady on a boat hanging out her 'smalls'.
    Now I don't mean you should be hanging from Kingston bridge doing the same thing,otherwise you might get the rolling pin around your head from you know who.And that might be the end of your photography.
    BUT,the area does lend itself to some great photography,especially on the banks of the Thames during the summer months.Especially the river traffic.

You are making me broody again to revisit these haunts.

Regards.
    H.

filmforever
    25 Mar 2010 - 11:52 AM

Quote:

With the exception of certain stretches of the river and the nearby Bushy and Richmond Parks, I have yet to be photographically inspired by the area.

Steven, I'm in Kingston...get your Caroline to take you on some riverside walks in all directions, but particularly towards Richmond....an area of many photo possibilities itself, there's also the ancient Market Place area of Kingston and it's many old buildings. Ham House, Hampton Court. I don't think you'll be stuck for possibilities...just get those walking shoes on...!

[quote]I have the very same problem in Boring Suffolk.
    Flat, lifeless, featureless and boring.

Laurel, how can you describe beautiful Suffolk as boring???!!!!...where's your imagination?.....with towns & villages like Lavenham, Long Melford etc.....possibilities are endless....then there's Norfolk and North Essex....all inspiring areas, particularly for the landscape orientated photographer.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.