Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CS4 main drive or external drive?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    studioline
    studioline e2 Member 472 forum postsstudioline vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Oct 2010 - 7:57 PM

Can someone please advise. I am using an Acer aspire with phenom 9650 cpu, 4gb ddr2 memory and 0ne 640gb drive divided into two. When I set the system up initially, I had the CS4 on the same drive as the operating system and with time the drive filled up with photos. The computer was starting to show signs of slowing after it started hedging to almost 95% capacity hence thought it would be an idea to move the files to another drive. My thoughts were that I could :
    1. Install a 2tb drive in the computer.
    2. Install cs4 on a different partition from the os file and use the internal druve to store the photos.
    3. Install cs4 on a different partition from the os and then use an external usb drive to store the photos.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Oct 2010 - 7:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Warriner
    24 Oct 2010 - 8:38 PM

Install the 2TB and leave the 640GB in as well. Put the OS and applications on the 640, use the 2TB for data.

Put the Windows (if we're talking MS) page file on the 2TB too

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Oct 2010 - 8:41 PM

If memory serves me right we have covered this very subject with you before, Only last time you where talking about shifting the application " Lightroom " to a drive other than the " Logical Drive "C" .......? ? ?

For may part the answer for moving CS4 remains the same as the advise I gave you regarding " Lightroom ".

That is to keep the application CS4 ( this time ) on the logical " C " drive, Because oddly enough thats where the " Program " Files are installed by the " Operating System " by default, When its first installed.

Re-locating applications and especially CS4 to a drive other than the logical C drive ( where the OS lives ) is a disaster in the making.

CS4 and other variants of Photoshop, Use something called " Scratch Discs " as working space, Scratch discs are other drives on the computer, They can also be external, However in order to work efficiently, Adobe do not recommend the logical C drive is allocated as a scratch disc, If you have other discs available.

So bottom line, Get a big external drive 1 or 2 terabytes, Shift all the files ( actual data images etc ) off the internal drives, Then replace your second internal drive with something much bigger, OR run your data from the external.......Grin

OR buy/build a decent sized " Server " where you can keep adding hard drives until the box is full......Smile

BUT leave the darn application on the " Logical C " drive, In the " Programs " Folder, Where it belongs, Or risk the hassles that not doing so might bring......Smile

For those who claim to be succesfully running applications from drives other than the main Logical drive, Good luck, I hope it all hangs together......!!!!!

Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    studioline
    studioline e2 Member 472 forum postsstudioline vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Oct 2010 - 8:53 PM

Yes you are bang on correct Camera Cat. I am in the process of realising that the whole system is in dire need of an overhaul.
    I am so far coming up with this set up.
    (my computer is a small form machine) - 1 drive space.

So. I have backed up the photos. Will restore the main computer and then add cs4 and lightroom. Will configure the computers to save the photos on an external usb drive (which is still pretty fast).
    I think this solution should do it.

Any thoughts.

studioline
    24 Oct 2010 - 10:42 PM

All done. Will report at some point how this has affected the speed. Thanks all for the comments and help.

studioline
    26 Oct 2010 - 1:41 PM

Ok. Slight change of plan. The computer has been opened up and a 2Tb drive fitted - non segmented. I am going to look at the old 640gb hard drive as an external drive to back up to. Will let you know what happens. So far everything is going well and as suggested I am running it all on the C drive.

devlin
    devlin  3651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2010 - 9:59 PM

Quote: So far everything is going well and as suggested I am running it all on the C drive.

Thats always the best way to go..apart from whats been mentioned above the other reason to segregate OS / apps and data is to make it easier to recover from a OS crash remember you can always re-install OS and apps but difficult (not impossible) to recover data....

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.