Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CS4 to CS5 Upgrade

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    8 Oct 2012 - 3:43 PM

And now for something completely different............Smile

Some time ago I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 from CS4 (by upgrading, I mean I bought the CS4 to CS5 upgrade from Adobe rather than buying CS5 outright). I was under the impression that a CS5 ‘upgrade’ did nothing more than add the extra bits to CS4 thereby converting it to CS5 but that doesn’t seem to be the case as I now see that I have two full versions of PS ie CS4 and CS5 (@2.2 Gb and 2.5Gb respectively).
    So, now that I’m trying to free up some space on my HD, my question is, can I now safely uninstall CS4 or is it still linked in some way to CS5? Also, I dont really understand how I've ended up with two full versions. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Oct 2012 - 3:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 3:45 PM

Depends what is shared I would guess. Might be safest to uninstall both versions and reinstall CS5?

rossd
    8 Oct 2012 - 3:52 PM

Quote: Might be safest to uninstall both versions and reinstall CS5?

But I bought a CS4 to CS5 upgrade. You can't install the CS5 upgrade if CS4 isn't already on the computer.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 4:01 PM

Ah sorry - in that case just uninstall CS4. I would be inclined to use something like Revo Uninstaller so you can keep track of what is being uninstalled during the process.

puertouk
    puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 4:47 PM

Look for the CS4 uninstaller. DO NOT uninstall any software with third party uninstallers, unless you have no alternative, otherwise you can finish up with all sorts of trouble. The CS4 uninstaller will only uninstall CS4. Everything you did in CS4 will work in CS5. If you find you have a problem, get in touch with Adobe about it.
    Stephen

Carabosse
    8 Oct 2012 - 5:21 PM

Quote: DO NOT uninstall any software with third party uninstallers, unless you have no alternative, otherwise you can finish up with all sorts of trouble.

Not true at all for Revo Uninstaller which always first uses the built-in uninstaller of the software concerned and the gives an option to clean up if you so wish,

rossd
    8 Oct 2012 - 6:16 PM

Quote: Everything you did in CS4 will work in CS5

Thanks. I'll uninstall CS4 using the original CS4 disc (hadn't thought of that).

User_Removed
    8 Oct 2012 - 8:09 PM

Just a point of interest:

With Adobe products (and most other software producers as well) the "upgrade" version, that you either buy retail on a disc or purchase as a download, is exactly the same as the "full" edition. But, instead of having a registration key that will work on its own, the registration key supplied with the "upgrade" version requires you either to have a fully registered copy of the older version installed on your computer or have the registration key for the older version to hand to enter when asked.

In your case, when you install your CS5 upgrade, you do not need to have CS4 installed as long as you have the CS4 registration key (registered in your name, obviously) available. As I say, the actual software on the upgrade edition is exactly the same as in the full edition. Only the registration protocols are different.

So you can uninstall your CS4. If anything does go wrong, simply re-install your CS5 upgrade and enter the CS4 registration key when asked. Same applies if you replace your computer. De-register CS5 on the old one, install the CS5 upgrade on your new one and enter both registration keys. No need to install CS4 on your new computer at all.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Oct 2012 - 8:12 PM
    Jestertheclown

Quote: Not true at all for Revo Uninstaller which always first uses the built-in uninstaller of the software concerned and the gives an option to clean up if you so wish,

I'll second that.
    It might be an idea though to use Revo but only uninstall using CS4's uninstaller and leave the rest. The reason that I say that is that the registry keys etc. that Revo clears up could also be relevant to, or shared with CS5.
    I say this because I used to have Lightroom and CS5 installed on here when I tried the beta of CS6. They all installed themselves in subfolders in a folder marked 'Adobe.' The beta was awful, so I uninstalled it but when it went, it took with it files that were required by Lightroom and CS5, which then wouldn't work. Because they were corrupted, uninstalling and reinstalling them was the a nightmare.

rossd
    8 Oct 2012 - 8:59 PM

Quote: that you either buy retail on a disc or purchase as a download, is exactly the same as the "full" edition. But, instead of having a registration key that will work on its own, the registration key supplied with the "upgrade" version requires you either to have a fully registered copy of the older version installed on your computer or have the registration key for the older version to hand to enter when asked.

Thanks for that........... very helpful. All that makes sense.....I understand now.Smile

rossd
    8 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM

Quote: Because they were corrupted, uninstalling and reinstalling them was the a nightmare.

Noted !!

Jestertheclown

I suppose, with hindsight and bearing in mind what LF has just said, you might be better off investing a little time removing both CS4 and 5, completely, using Revo and reinstalling just CS5.

Make it a proper clean installation.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.