Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

CS5 Bridge

CazM 7 12 England
8 Nov 2010 2:31PM
Hi Everyone

I have recently upgraded from CS3 to CS5 and Bridge is driving me mad. It constantly crashes especially if I try to move a file, but also at other times. Screen goes white etc., and I need to close. Other things work OK i.e. Raw Converter.

I have Windows 7 and am running PS as 32 bit (64 bit was no better), 4 GB memory; 1 GB hard drive; AMD Phenom with NVIDIA 219 graphics card.

Is this purely a problem I have or are other people also having problems with Bridge. Any help any one can give would be much appreciated.

Carole

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 2:43PM
Found a post on the Adobe forums with a few people that had a problem with Bridge crashing:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2838468

Could try the following, seemed to fix it for a few people:
- Try to reset preferences by pressing and holding the Ctrl key while starting Bridge. You should get a reset window, choose all 3 options.
CazM 7 12 England
8 Nov 2010 2:47PM
OK - I will give that a go. Is this a problem affecting lots of people or just a few.
Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 3:27PM
Not sure, just read your post and thought I'd have a hunt on the net. There's definitely a few people effected by it. Hopefully resetting the preferences will get you up and running. Don't know if it's possibly an upgrade problem, as the person in that post had upgraded from CS4 to CS5, but his didn't work correctly in CS4 either.
CazM 7 12 England
8 Nov 2010 5:15PM
Hi Have done that and It seems to have helped. Will see how it goes over the next few days. Many thanks.
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 6:26PM
I am trialling Bridge on a Mac and have the same problem, it seems very unstable and crashes frequently, also when moving files or folders.
miyaguchi 4 136 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 7:28PM
I have had some issues with my Laptop freezing and or crashing and it is usually down to the number of processes I have running additional to PS/Bridge, which indicates insufficient RAMM at the particular moment in time of the crash. Open the Task manager and I think you will be unbelievably surprised at how many programs are running.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 8:49PM

Quote:I have had some issues with my Laptop freezing and or crashing and it is usually down to the number of processes I have running additional to PS/Bridge, which indicates insufficient RAMM at the particular moment in time of the crash. Open the Task manager and I think you will be unbelievably surprised at how many programs are running.

lol.... when i got my laptop out of the box and installed my usual suspects, i had 98 prosesess running at the same time.... Grin they are all gone now though.. Wink and yes it did affect bridge and my version kept on crashing too. Sad
CazM 7 12 England
12 Nov 2010 9:45AM
Thanks - I don't think I have anything other than Bridge of PS5 running but I will have a look in Task Manager and see if there is anything going on. Any help is appreciated.

Carole
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 10:34PM
First, make sure you've downloaded all the updates.

If you've already done that, or it doesn't help, try this. Open Bridge preferences, select 'Cache' and click the 'Purge Cache' button. Then select the 'Automatically Export Cache to Folders When Possible' option if it's not already ticked. Bridge then creates a cache for the thumbnails in the same folders as the files instead of one huge single cache hidden somewhere. I found this helped a lot when I had similar problems.
CazM 7 12 England
13 Nov 2010 1:17PM
I looked at the Task Manager and do have lots of things running, but need someone who understands computers to look at the Task Manager.

Thanks "loweskid" I will look at the cache file and see if that helps. The resetting preferences in Bridge helped for a couple pf days, but did not resolve it. I have downloaded all the updates, so cache files next and an expert for Task Manager.

As usual thanks for the help.
jarendell 8 95 2 Spain
13 Nov 2010 7:14PM
I hope this might help you re cache Link
CazM 7 12 England
18 Nov 2010 1:06PM
An update - As I have tried everything to no avail, I have reported this problem to Adobe as a "bug" report. Thank you for your helpful advice.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.