Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CS5 Bridge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CazM
    CazM  6 England
    8 Nov 2010 - 2:31 PM

Hi Everyone

I have recently upgraded from CS3 to CS5 and Bridge is driving me mad. It constantly crashes especially if I try to move a file, but also at other times. Screen goes white etc., and I need to close. Other things work OK i.e. Raw Converter.

I have Windows 7 and am running PS as 32 bit (64 bit was no better), 4 GB memory; 1 GB hard drive; AMD Phenom with NVIDIA 219 graphics card.

Is this purely a problem I have or are other people also having problems with Bridge. Any help any one can give would be much appreciated.

Carole

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2010 - 2:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4244 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 2:43 PM

Found a post on the Adobe forums with a few people that had a problem with Bridge crashing:
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/2838468

Could try the following, seemed to fix it for a few people:
    - Try to reset preferences by pressing and holding the Ctrl key while starting Bridge. You should get a reset window, choose all 3 options.

CazM
    CazM  6 England
    8 Nov 2010 - 2:47 PM

OK - I will give that a go. Is this a problem affecting lots of people or just a few.

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4244 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 3:27 PM

Not sure, just read your post and thought I'd have a hunt on the net. There's definitely a few people effected by it. Hopefully resetting the preferences will get you up and running. Don't know if it's possibly an upgrade problem, as the person in that post had upgraded from CS4 to CS5, but his didn't work correctly in CS4 either.

CazM
    CazM  6 England
    8 Nov 2010 - 5:15 PM

Hi Have done that and It seems to have helped. Will see how it goes over the next few days. Many thanks.

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 6488 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2010 - 6:26 PM

I am trialling Bridge on a Mac and have the same problem, it seems very unstable and crashes frequently, also when moving files or folders.

miyaguchi
    miyaguchi  4136 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2010 - 7:28 PM

I have had some issues with my Laptop freezing and or crashing and it is usually down to the number of processes I have running additional to PS/Bridge, which indicates insufficient RAMM at the particular moment in time of the crash. Open the Task manager and I think you will be unbelievably surprised at how many programs are running.

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2010 - 8:49 PM

Quote: I have had some issues with my Laptop freezing and or crashing and it is usually down to the number of processes I have running additional to PS/Bridge, which indicates insufficient RAMM at the particular moment in time of the crash. Open the Task manager and I think you will be unbelievably surprised at how many programs are running.

lol.... when i got my laptop out of the box and installed my usual suspects, i had 98 prosesess running at the same time.... Grin they are all gone now though.. Wink and yes it did affect bridge and my version kept on crashing too. Sad

CazM
    CazM  6 England
    12 Nov 2010 - 9:45 AM

Thanks - I don't think I have anything other than Bridge of PS5 running but I will have a look in Task Manager and see if there is anything going on. Any help is appreciated.

Carole

loweskid
    loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2010 - 10:34 PM

First, make sure you've downloaded all the updates.

If you've already done that, or it doesn't help, try this. Open Bridge preferences, select 'Cache' and click the 'Purge Cache' button. Then select the 'Automatically Export Cache to Folders When Possible' option if it's not already ticked. Bridge then creates a cache for the thumbnails in the same folders as the files instead of one huge single cache hidden somewhere. I found this helped a lot when I had similar problems.

CazM
    CazM  6 England
    13 Nov 2010 - 1:17 PM

I looked at the Task Manager and do have lots of things running, but need someone who understands computers to look at the Task Manager.

Thanks "loweskid" I will look at the cache file and see if that helps. The resetting preferences in Bridge helped for a couple pf days, but did not resolve it. I have downloaded all the updates, so cache files next and an expert for Task Manager.

As usual thanks for the help.

jarendell
    jarendell e2 Member 795 forum postsjarendell vcard Spain2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2010 - 7:14 PM

I hope this might help you re cacheLink

CazM
    CazM  6 England
    18 Nov 2010 - 1:06 PM

An update - As I have tried everything to no avail, I have reported this problem to Adobe as a "bug" report. Thank you for your helpful advice.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.