Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CS5 Keeps closing down after a few minutes.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rainbowsmyyarn
    10 Mar 2011 - 7:38 AM

Hi i have just purchased PS CS5 Extended, after working on a file for a few minutes the program says it has to close and away it goes.
    Very annoying when you are trying to work on a photo.
    Any ideas ! Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Mar 2011 - 7:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 8:48 AM

How much memory does your machine have? What other programs are you running at the same time? How big is the file you are editing?

Open Windows Task Manager and go to the performance tab. Load CS5 and the image which causes the trouble and see what the memory stats are.

If your machine doesn't have much memory you may need to upgrade, but before you do so try removing and re-installing CS5. Also clean all the unnecessary processes out to free up some resource (things like fast load helpers, QuickTime scheduler, etc).

HTH

Ian

User_Removed
    10 Mar 2011 - 10:24 AM

As above.

Plus, if you have installed the 64-bit version of PS and, after cleaning out your start-up programs, closing down all other programs and checking your memory, the problem still persists, try uninstalling it and reinstalling the 32-bit version.

Also check that your virtual memory (the mechanism by which the real RAM is supplemented by hard disk space) is set at the maximum level and that you do, indeed, have enough free hard disk space to accommodate it.

User_Removed
    10 Mar 2011 - 10:27 AM

..... more generally, there is a simple batch file that you can write and keep on your desktop which, when clciked, will close all idle program and processes. You'll find references on Google and some "sites" offer free downloads of programs that perform a similar function, some automatically. But make sure your virus definitions are up to date before downloading anything like this.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 1:04 PM

Quote: after working on a file for a few minutes the program says it has to close

We need much more information in order to make a half accurate guess as to a cure......Grin

So lets have the following.

1. Your Operating system, Name rank and serial number........Smile

2. Your computer specifications, From the top downwards.......Smile

Without this information there is very little point in making a suggestion, Because all it will be is a wild stab in the dark at best......Sad

Over to you the OP.....Wink

Angelbabe
    Angelbabe  6 England
    29 Nov 2012 - 9:32 PM

Wif anyone can come up with a cure I would be very pleased as I have the same problem. I have spent all night working on a composite then CS5 decided it wanted to close and I lost the lotSad not amused!

User_Removed
    29 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sounds like a hard fault (page fault).

Open Windows Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Then click on the button called Resource Monitor. When Photoshop is running what memory is Available (click the Memory tab for a graph like below)

29-11-2012-22-27-43.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.