Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CS6, crashing and the blue warning screen.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown

I've got rid of CS6.
I initially installed it on my machine, knowing that the hard drive was getting full up and would soon need replacing. Everything seemed OK for a while, then it began crashing and I was getting the blue warning screen, saying that 'Windows has shut your machine down before it damages itself' and suggesting that something that I'd installed recently was the culprit.
Initially, I just re-started the machine and assumed it was a gremlin; it's happened before. But it wasn't. It crashed several more times during the course of Friday evening.
So I uninstalled CS6, which took with it CS5 and Lightroom but before trying again, I replaced the hard drive with one that I'd got, unused, from a friend for nothing.
I installed the OS and the important stuff, then CS6. The same thing happened. Everything was fine for forty eight hours, during which time, the machine wasn't switched off, then the same crash and the warning screen.
This time I wasn't able to work around it and the drive appears to be shot. (It is now; I've hit it several times with a hammer).
I tried re-installing, booting from the set-up disc, all the tricks that I've used successfully in the past but no joy. So I've thrown it away and gone back to my old one and CS5.
The loss of the drive's no big deal. It was a Western Digital, which sounded like a can of nails falling down a staircase, so I wasn't best pleased with it anyway.
I still need to find a replacement, although really an external one would do; all I really need it for is storage but this time, without CS6.
I suppose I was just unlucky but I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems.
I don't usually go in for using BETAs of anything. Now I know why!
As for CS6, it was OK, I guess but to my mind, it was no more than that.
Using CS5 again, it seems faster, smoother and altogether slicker and there's nothing in CS6 that I can't replicate here. Nothing that I want to replicate anyway.
So be warned; you might want to tell all of your friends!

Has anyone else had any problems?

Bren.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2012 - 7:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
8 Apr 2012 - 8:09 PM

You were lucky (or unlucky). I have tried several times to instal the beta CS6 but always get an error message at the start of the installer stage.

But your "blue screen of death" might be nothing to do with CS6. There is a virussy thing going round just now that causes those crashes. The pattern seems to be that, to start with, you get a crash every few days and the frequency increases to the stage that you can't get more than about 20 minutes without the "Windows has shut down to avoid damage to your computer...." thing. From what I hear on the grapevine, it was getting around almost all anti-virus programs except Norton and Macaffee.

The temporary cure is allegedly to restart in Safe Mode and then restart normally.

(I wonder if it has something to do with the Web-bot that crashed the Home Office website over the weekend? )

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Apr 2012 - 8:11 PM
Jestertheclown

Thanks LF.
What you describe there is exactly what happened to me.
I can understand the virus getting onto this, the old drive via the usual routes and sneaking past AVG but the second drive that went wrong had just had its OS installed which automatically includes a format, even on a new and supposedly empty drive.
Admittedly, it did last for forty eight hours but the only thing that was common to both drives was the fact that I'd installed CS6. I'd installed it, on both occasions from the same source too.
I've scanned both drives using AVG and Malwarebytes but nothing's showed up.
And now, I'm using the old drive, minus CS6, plus a new installation of CS5 and Lightroom and i have to say that it's behaving extremely well.
We'll see!

Quote: The temporary cure is allegedly to restart in Safe Mode and then restart normally.

In the end, I couldn't start it at all.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 8 Apr 2012 - 9:00 PM
parallax
parallax e2 Member 5110 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
9 Apr 2012 - 9:50 AM

Guys you need to get a Mac. They may be more expensive in the short term but life is so much easier and you can run all your Windows stuff under emulation. Hope this doesn't start a Mac v Windows debate, lolGrin

Jestertheclown
9 Apr 2012 - 10:04 AM

Quote: Guys you need to get a Mac.

Gary, If I had the money, I'd buy one tomorrow.

I really think that that's the way to go.

GarethRobinson
9 Apr 2012 - 11:19 AM

or build your own mac its easy and cheaper and alot faster.

GarethRobinson
9 Apr 2012 - 11:29 AM

ps: cs6 works perfect on my old custom home built i7 920 24gb ram, under windows 7 64bit and os x lion/mountain lion.

Pat_Stones
9 Apr 2012 - 11:57 AM

Quote: I really think that that's the way to go

Are you blaming Windows? If a test Beta version of a program causes a crash don't be surprised. It's a beta and you will have been warned about that before you downloaded it.

Jestertheclown
9 Apr 2012 - 12:01 PM

Glad you pointed that out.
I'd never have known otherwise.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 12:05 PM

Quote: Guys you need to get a Mac.

And suffer this? No thanks! Wink

MarkBroughton
9 Apr 2012 - 12:10 PM

I cant believe the comment of "you need to get a mac" because of a beta software problem. Does that mean that when a channel on my freeview starts going dodgy, I need to get a new 1800 telly? How can a statement like that not start a mac vs pc debate?

Actually thinking about it my car has a flat tyre, time to get a Bugatti Veyron methinks Wink

Last Modified By MarkBroughton at 9 Apr 2012 - 12:11 PM
Jestertheclown
9 Apr 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi CB.
I saw that in the paper the other day.
I've always thought that there must, in reality, be malware etc. out there that could/would harm Macs but no-one ever seems to admit, if that's the right word, to having had it happen.
Somehow, the idea of using a machine sans AV seems alien.
The reason that I'd like to get a Mac isn't so much this recent bout of ill fortune, I've been using Windows for years with very few problems, it's more that I'm not sure what Windows will have to offer in the future.

MarkBroughton
9 Apr 2012 - 12:13 PM

Quote:
The reason that I'd like to get a Mac isn't so much this recent bout of ill fortune, I've been using Windows for years with very few problems, it's more that I'm not sure what Windows will have to offer in the future.

You can actually download an early version of Windows 8 at the moment, I did the other day, and installed it. Looks pretty nice too. No problems installing, and no problems running it on my 4 year old PC.

Jestertheclown
9 Apr 2012 - 12:26 PM

I didn't realise that Windows 8 was that close to being a reality.
From the very little that I've seen of it, I'm not in any hurry to instal it but I shall be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

User_Removed
9 Apr 2012 - 12:26 PM

You installed a beta test version of some heavyweight software on an old machine with a nearly full disk and the machine crashed. Wow, that must have come as a huge surprise Wink Thanks for posting Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.