Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

CS6, crashing and the blue warning screen.

9 Apr 2012 12:30PM
Here you go Bren, the preview of windows 8

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
9 Apr 2012 12:30PM
Hi Chris!
Where have you been?
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
9 Apr 2012 12:31PM
Thanks Mark.
Saved for the moment.

Quote:You installed a beta test version of some heavyweight software on an old machine with a nearly full disk and the machine crashed. Wow, that must have come as a huge surprise Thanks for posting

Even on a new machine it wouldn't be a surprise, betas are betas
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2012 12:34PM
True
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
9 Apr 2012 1:49PM

Quote:

Even on a new machine it wouldn't be a surprise, betas are betas

Once upon a time, Pat, that would have been true.

But my cynical view (shared, I believe by millions of others) is that Adobe no longer use Beta releases of software for genuine testing purposes but, rather, as a blatant attempt to hook unsuspecting users in, pre-release, as a cheap marketing ploy. A lot of the ironing-out of bugs and issues is left until after the Release Candidate versions and even v1.0 of the "for sale" edition have been released on a gullible public (of which, I admit, I am a fully paid-up members! )
If Adobe, or any other software mfr, were to attempt to iron out all the bugs in a new piece of software it would never get on the market. Also the cost would be phenomenal!

Several 1000+ people using the software are more likely to find the few bugs remaining than a couple of software writers or engineers scanning the software.

Leaving the software guys free to issue the few patches that may be required.

There is an economical break point.
Exactly. But some people expect even the betas to work without bugs!
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2012 2:01PM
I tend to agree with Leftforum. Lightroom 4 was released with loads of bugs (rumours of 800 known bugs are floating around), I reported some myself. Now LR 4.1 is already out to address some of them. The original version 4 should never have been released for sale in that condition, indeed I suggested on Adobe's own feedback forum that here in the UK I would not consider it 'of saleable quality'. This has damaged Adobe's reputation IMO.
Beta versions are expected to have bugs but 800 in a retail version was a disgrace! I'm using LR 4.1 and it is much better but still disappointing in performance speed compared to LR 3. It's a great piece of software but this latest version has been embarassing.
I get the impression that much software today is released without adequate checking - Adobe are not the only culprits. Despite being a devoted Apple user I have not installed Lion because of the huge number of concerns about it. Too many companies seem to want to be in too much of a hurry to get new software versions out.
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
11 Apr 2012 4:21PM
Dont worry guys the mac g4 would have handled it fine.

Are you shitting me? Software is HEAVILY tested. - It is mostly USERs machines that make it not work.

You can upgrade windows DOS all the way to Windows 8 without issue; and STILL retain your background and icons! LOL

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.