Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CS6, crashing and the blue warning screen.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MarkBroughton
9 Apr 2012 - 12:30 PM

Here you go Bren, the preview of windows 8

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

Hi Chris!
Where have you been?

Jestertheclown
9 Apr 2012 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Mark.
Saved for the moment.

Pat_Stones
9 Apr 2012 - 12:33 PM

Quote: You installed a beta test version of some heavyweight software on an old machine with a nearly full disk and the machine crashed. Wow, that must have come as a huge surprise Thanks for posting

Even on a new machine it wouldn't be a surprise, betas are betas

User_Removed
9 Apr 2012 - 12:34 PM

True

User_Removed
9 Apr 2012 - 1:49 PM

Quote:

Even on a new machine it wouldn't be a surprise, betas are betas

Once upon a time, Pat, that would have been true.

But my cynical view (shared, I believe by millions of others) is that Adobe no longer use Beta releases of software for genuine testing purposes but, rather, as a blatant attempt to hook unsuspecting users in, pre-release, as a cheap marketing ploy. A lot of the ironing-out of bugs and issues is left until after the Release Candidate versions and even v1.0 of the "for sale" edition have been released on a gullible public (of which, I admit, I am a fully paid-up members! )

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 2:03 PM

If Adobe, or any other software mfr, were to attempt to iron out all the bugs in a new piece of software it would never get on the market. Also the cost would be phenomenal!

Several 1000+ people using the software are more likely to find the few bugs remaining than a couple of software writers or engineers scanning the software.

Leaving the software guys free to issue the few patches that may be required.

There is an economical break point.

Pat_Stones
9 Apr 2012 - 8:12 PM

Exactly. But some people expect even the betas to work without bugs!

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7577 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
11 Apr 2012 - 2:01 PM

I tend to agree with Leftforum. Lightroom 4 was released with loads of bugs (rumours of 800 known bugs are floating around), I reported some myself. Now LR 4.1 is already out to address some of them. The original version 4 should never have been released for sale in that condition, indeed I suggested on Adobe's own feedback forum that here in the UK I would not consider it 'of saleable quality'. This has damaged Adobe's reputation IMO.
Beta versions are expected to have bugs but 800 in a retail version was a disgrace! I'm using LR 4.1 and it is much better but still disappointing in performance speed compared to LR 3. It's a great piece of software but this latest version has been embarassing.
I get the impression that much software today is released without adequate checking - Adobe are not the only culprits. Despite being a devoted Apple user I have not installed Lion because of the huge number of concerns about it. Too many companies seem to want to be in too much of a hurry to get new software versions out.

User_Removed
11 Apr 2012 - 4:21 PM

Dont worry guys the mac g4 would have handled it fine.

Are you shitting me? Software is HEAVILY tested. - It is mostly USERs machines that make it not work.

You can upgrade windows DOS all the way to Windows 8 without issue; and STILL retain your background and icons! LOL

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Apr 2012 - 4:23 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.