Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

CS6 32-bit AND 64-bit loaded at the same time?

canonfan46 5 1.1k United Kingdom
7 Nov 2012 11:09PM
Hi all, by now you all know I am a computer dummy, but this is a puzzling thing.

I recently upgraded from CS4 to CS6 and had the disc sent out to me.
I also bought a new computer (64bit). I left the old program on my old computer and loaded the new program onto the new one.

Everything worked fine but I have noticed that I have two short cuts on my desktop, CS6 32-bit and CS6 64-bit.

When I select the 32 bit version, CS6 loads and is described in the "about Photoshop" as CS6 32-bit.
When I select the 64 bit version, CS6 loads and is described in the "about Photoshop" as CS6 64-bit.

This made me think that I had two different versions of CS6 loaded but with my limited knowledge, I checked the program files and there seem to be only one program loaded.

Does anyone know why this appears this way, and if I should be using one or the other options?

Thanks

John

ps I have been trying to ask Adobe about it without any immediate response

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2012 11:11PM
im pretty sure it installs both (did on mine too and im 64bit) just in case some people who run a 64bit machine have nto got enough memory to run 64bit then you can simply run 32bit.
7 Nov 2012 11:15PM
so it is a normal thing and I can just select the 64 bit option each time and ignore the 32
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
7 Nov 2012 11:22PM
When you say that you 'upgraded,' didn't you have to un-register the copy of CS4 that you left on your old machine and use the same number?
I only ask because if you've simply bought CS6 as a replacement, you might have spent money that you didn't need to. Quite a lot of it.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
7 Nov 2012 11:27PM

Quote:So it is a normal thing and I can just select the 64 bit option each time and ignore the 32

Unless you have plugins that don't work in 64-bit, yes. That's one of the primary reasons for having both options.
7 Nov 2012 11:28PM
when installing unless you select custom install and select exactly what components to install it will install 32bit and 64bit on pc. Just uninstall the version you dont need.
7 Nov 2012 11:28PM
No, it was an upgrade. I only had to load the new program but needed both the old and new serial numbers to activate it
7 Nov 2012 11:31PM
Ok, thanks a lot, I was just making sure everything was normal, cheers
7 Nov 2012 11:43PM
Update.........Got to Adobe at last.........here is their answer:-

Suman: Hi John.

Suman: I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to verify your account and to review the details of your request.

Suman: Thank you for being online.

Suman: I understand that you want to know whether you have installed both 32 and 64 version of the product on the same system or you are accessing same version of the product from the two different Icon. Am I correct?

John Mann: yes, correct

Suman: Thank you for confirming.

Suman: I would be glad to help you with this.

Suman: Thank you for confirming.

Suman: I would be glad to help you with this.

Suman: Could you please provide me the serial number of the product to check and assist you better?

John Mann: ********************************

Suman: Thank you.

Suman: Could you please navigate to the C: Drive?

John Mann: ok

Suman: Please double click on the C: Drive and let me know if you have Folder called "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86 )".

John Mann: yes

Suman: Are both the files available?

John Mann: yes

Suman: Okay.

Suman: Let me explain now what exactly happening.

Suman: The Program files is for 32 bit product and the Program files(x86) for the 64 bits product. Even though your system having 64 bit OS there is a image of 32 bit program. So, when you are trying to install the product the installer work the product as 32 bit once and in case of "Program Files(x86) installer work as 64 bit product. Version of the product is same so all the features of the product will be same. No matter whether you are using 32 bit product or 64 bit product.

Suman: The version of the product is Photoshop CS6( internal version 13.0).

John Mann: ok, so I have two versions of the program loaded, one 32 bit and one 64 bit.

Suman: Yes, you are correct.

John Mann: This is normal and I need do nothing about it?

Suman: No, you do not need to do anything. You can use 64 bit product as your OS is 64 bit and ignore the 32 bit version. You can delete the Icon of the 32 bit from the desktop as well.

John Mann: Is it advisable to delete the unwanted 32 bit program?

Suman: No. One image should be there under the " program files". Please do not delete 32 bit product.

John Mann: Ok, that all seems clear, thank you for your help

Suman: You are welcome.

Suman: Is there anything else I can help you with?

John Mann: no thanks

Suman: You may receive an email survey in reference to this interaction with Adobe. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Suman: Nice chatting with you.

Suman: Thank you for contacting Adobe. Good Bye.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.