Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Current gallery trends...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 5:11 PM

Not really had a lot of time to play in the galleries of late Sad

What are the current popular subjects/techniques etc. ?

Are textures still getting people excited or have we moved on?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Apr 2011 - 5:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 5:22 PM

Some gut feeling and some fact from me in no particular order
Textures are still being used, and some of the users are getting much better at blending. There's a fair few more conceptual works appearing, and a noticeable increase in higher quality fashion photography - the type where a model, and stylist are involved. There are fewer pictures being uploaded at the moment, but there are more comments per minute than ever, although some users will have seen a drop in activity. I don't think the gallery has quite the same level of quality as it had two years ago, but we keep getting some surprises. there's a reduction in high quality landscapes, and an increase in high quality wildlife. Street photography took a hit a year ago when a few really good members got upset with a decision of mine and left. I miss their work.
We will be making a change soon to portfolios which I hope will encourage a new breed of photographers to the site and hopefully entice some who are less active to stoke up their folios again.

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 5:33 PM

Lots of high quality wildlife stuff, particularly butterflies at the moment. It can be a difficult field but it's often impossible to tell the work from one photographer apart from another. There's also quite a lot more motorsport work, which continues to be largely ignored, as does black and white. I agree with Pete about the fashion stuff and also that there is possibly a reduction in the overall quality of work, probably due to the loss of some high profile names over the last few months. It's a shame as we all need the inspiration, but there's still quite a few good photographers on the site.

I am one of Pete's photographers who have seen a reduction in activity. I've cut the number of uploads and now have far fewer votes or comments on my images than I previously did. I still contribure to the gallery though because it's unfair to expect people to vote/comment/critique without contributing yourself. Hey ho, God loves a trier!

VinceJones
18 Apr 2011 - 6:38 PM

I think it would be a good idea to follow the route other sites have gone by making the site benefit the photographers, a great improvement than all benefits going to the advertisers. Surely it would be a winner all round by allowing the site photographers to sell their images through an EPZ Ecommerce shop, gifts such as cards, mugs, framed pictures etc.

How EPZ does this or even looks at it is another matter. With camera kit being so expensive,not forgetting the time put in, surely getting something back to help towards time & costs is a positive, personally I think it's a winner all round plus it would encourage more activity on the site, especially the galleries.

This direction might bring some of the old people back to the site to upload their images.

Just a few thoughts on a subject that has been probably talked to death.

Vince

Last Modified By VinceJones at 18 Apr 2011 - 6:43 PM
VinceJones
18 Apr 2011 - 6:49 PM

Sorry for taking the subject in a different direction, I just picked up on the comment Pete made

Quote: We will be making a change soon to portfolios which I hope will encourage a new breed of photographers to the site and hopefully entice some who are less active to stoke up their folios again.

Phil-LS
Phil-LS  11632 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Apr 2011 - 7:18 PM

I remember a few years ago that even though my photo's aren't Brilliant i would still get comments and advice.
Well the last few pic's i've just about nothing. I'm not after votes hence always putting C&C's welcome. When i've marked on a couple that i would like Critique 1 i only got a couple of bits of advice but nothing on the new upload. I uploaded 1 This morning marked for Critique and still nothing to date.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 7:26 PM

Yup the CG does seem to have slowed down a bit over the last month or so....

lawbert
lawbert  71704 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 7:43 PM

Also the Activity from the Guvnor (Pete) has dropped off the edge of a cliff....A bit like them Pirellis in F1Tongue

I guess the stats are working well towards the pension but the direction of the site and its status of having an ex Ed of a photography mag is losing its appeal....

But Hey Ho...shi@e loads of site hits tho but less photographer activity...A site like this will never manage itself and the GE award isnt the answer to it all..A bit more Guvnor Participation would go a long way to keeping hold of good and bad togsTongue

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 7:47 PM

Quote: Also the Activity from the Guvnor (Pete) has dropped off the edge of a cliff

Not sure what you mean. Why am I less active?

lawbert
18 Apr 2011 - 8:00 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Why am I less active?

Your activity on the HC and EC is pretty minimal nowadays?.....Surely thats not promoting good or bad tog participation?

woodlark
woodlark e2 Member 10522 forum postswoodlark vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 8:07 PM

Quote: Street photography took a hit a year ago when a few really good members got upset with a decision of mine and left.

what decision was that Pete ?

bfgstew
bfgstew  8668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 8:08 PM

Quote: Your activity on the HC and EC is pretty minimal nowadays?.....Surely thats not promoting good or bad tog participation?

???????

Don't follow you on that one!
Maybe Pete doesn't choose EC's and HC's every day, the man does have a life outside EPZ, but he does go through the whole lot by the end of the week and chooses some bloody good uploads.
Do you follow his blog everyday? Techniques, Reviews and the miriad of other stuff he does?

bfgstew
bfgstew  8668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 8:17 PM

Anyhow, this thread is not about Pete's activity, its about site trends, so get back to that.

More motor sport, which is good.

More arty model stuff, some good, some not but the majority are outstanding, note EC gallery.

Wildlife on the up with some belting uploads.

Street and mono need a renaissance though, it seems it is the leper of the photography world.

Textured stuff is working well, some very cleverly worked images are being created.

All in all I feel the site is going well, plenty of stuff to inspire and aspire too.

Oh, forgot landscapes/seascapes as ever on the top of the pile. Plenty on offer and many are a treat to view, few are outstanding and you know who you are......Wink

Pete
18 Apr 2011 - 8:36 PM

Quote: what decision was that Pete ?

Not to censor shots by a couple of members who were considered to be sleazy.

Quote: Your activity on the HC and EC is pretty minimal nowadays?

I'm doing the same as I've always done?

lawbert
18 Apr 2011 - 8:46 PM

Quote: Your activity on the HC and EC is pretty minimal nowadays?.....Surely thats not promoting good or bad tog participation?

???????

Don't follow you on that one!
Maybe Pete doesn't choose EC's and HC's every day, the man does have a life outside EPZ, but he does go through the whole lot by the end of the week and chooses some bloody good uploads.
Do you follow his blog everyday? Techniques, Reviews and the miriad of other stuff he does?

Errmmmm....No I dont Follow Petes Blog everyday...Never to be honest...If I had the time which I dont I probably still wouldnt.....Much better to be doing something constructiveTongue

I still feel the site needs a little direction and encouragement for people with lesser equipment etc.....Its not a once a month Glossy publication....Its a Daily thing and as such needs a little more pushing to encourage actual posting members...Not just pick the cream from semi skimmed milk....Yup there aint much cream in semi skimmed but shake it about a bit and encourage it and more will rise to the surfaceWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.