Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Current gallery trends...

Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
18 Apr 2011 8:52PM

Quote:Its not a once a month Glossy publication....Its a Daily thing and as such needs a little more pushing to encourage actual posting members

Not sure what else you want???..everyday Nik posts a tutorial and a forum post is added for people to post results of that tutorial. I cannot name one other site that posts daily content of this level for free.
We provide 3-10 news stories per day, usually a review every other day. All free!

And, as Stewart says, I've been uploading a photo365 blog daily since January 1st, with the hope that some members will pick up some ideas to stimulate their photography. Everything I shoot is possible - no foreign trips and expensive equipment needed.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bfgstew 8 668 105 England
18 Apr 2011 9:02PM
Couldn't agree more with Pete.

You only have to look at stuff on here to get inspiration. PM other members for meets or help and guidance or EPZ staff who are only to happy to help.

I did a little scout round on other sites, one in particular caught my eye and I had a longer delve into it. To say it was disorganized, lacking direction and inspiration would be an understatement. I believe this is one of the better Photographic sites on the web for the small amount you pay (if an E2 member).

But this thread is turning into a pop at Pete thread and this is not the OP original idea, please keep it on track!!!!!!!!!!
lawbert 7 1.7k 15 England
18 Apr 2011 9:07PM

Quote:Its not a once a month Glossy publication....Its a Daily thing and as such needs a little more pushing to encourage actual posting members
Not sure what else you want???..everyday Nik posts a tutorial and a forum post is added for people to post results of that tutorial. I cannot name one other site that posts daily content of this level for free.
We provide 3-10 news stories per day, usually a review every other day. All free!

I personally dont want anything else!!Tongue

Yup...Its a good site...No denying that.

But....without picking the bones out of your statement like you did to mineTongue

Shouldnt you really be less focussed on the cream and encourage more?

The EC and HC are hardly awarded now (I have looked),....Photographers look to you Pete as an ex mag ed....and hope for some encouragement with less than perfect equipment not just go WOW at a few pics chosen by you over a matter of days.

At the end of the day Im sure your revenue is up massively from all the site changes and ads....But all these new togs with new digital camera dont get any encouragement.....Just see the cream....A bit daunting really when other sites are free also.....and reviews are just a search away in google....focus on the peeps that really keep your site running....the ones posting pictures.....and pay the lesser equipment beginner, improver, wanna be pro but never gonna be the time of dayWink
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
18 Apr 2011 9:13PM
I'm not totally sure what you're asking here? It seems you're asking me to lower my awards standards to award lesser quality photos, thus increase feel good factor and number of awards? If so I'd rather keep it the way it is and have a standard that needs to be achieved. Quality not quantity.
The only flaw in that is what I perceive as being quality may not necessarily be what others feel. So there will always be disagreement. But at least it's consistent. And we now have several alternatives RCs GEs UAs for those who think my choice is flawed.
If I've misunderstood please elaborate?

And yes sorry we've gone off the original question :-(
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
18 Apr 2011 9:40PM
I don't think Lawbert is necessarily referring to the allocation of awards nor the creation of new lower standard levels of awarding - that never works (just look at most of the flickr award groups). Instead I think he's trying to say that comments - even if only light - from the head of the site (or other key members of the society) really helps to bolster a persons self esteem and confidence when they are shooting at a lesser ability/level and thus far have not managed to push to a higher skill level.

I'm not sure how this would be implemented - maybe some kind of system a little like the old "pro critique" though this time catering more toward informality and toward highly skilled regular members of the site. Encouraging them or alerting them to the idea of providing some supporting commenting/critique in areas outside of the critique section alone (oft I see many who are not asking for crits as such, or who don't know/don't use the crit section, but who benefit greatly from them - sometimes more so than those in the crit section who are at least already growing self aware of the problems and solutions.
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
18 Apr 2011 9:44PM
Interesting read Pete - cheers.

Must admit that I never thought landscapes would be on the decline - I guess things go in cycles - sure they'll be back Smile

Just wondering what was "cool" in EPZ terms at the mo.

My life seems to be strobist stuff that's probably of not much interest on here - though just about to upload something I hope does well... it's certainly different for me anyway Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
18 Apr 2011 10:04PM
ah - I replied having read Pete's initial post...

I was asking about the photos members are posting -- not after a site-bashing session...

ho hum
oscarshost 6 34 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2011 10:06PM
I joined EPZ two-and-a-half years ago, had some fun, got bored, left. Now I'm back and really enjoying the daily features, tutorials etc.

Back then the majority of the gallery seemed to me of a lesser standard than it s now. Am I right in thinking that HDR had just become popular then? I seem to remember tonnes of HDR images springing up.

I have no patience for nature photography, so am really enjoying viewing these in the gallery, and as you say, the quality coming from many nature togs is excellent.

As a little feedback on EPZ as a whole (since it has been touched upon in this thread): The challenges (in their various capacities) are good fun and offer a challenge. The member-led challenges and the ability to give awards are great features as the site becomes three-dimensional - not only are mods and staff running the show, but the forum is massively social across all levels, abilities and between staff and members and the challenges and awards allow members to play a 'bigger' role.

That was my two penneth. Kerry
Stenno 7 11 England
20 Apr 2011 8:43PM
Can I be so bold as to ask who these 'very important' members who have decided to leave this site, actually are?
They obviously had there reasons for moving along...something which I'm considering myself as of late due to fact that this site seems to promote sycophantic adulation for the chosen few instead of encouraging the (dare I say) 'lesser gifted' of us?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
20 Apr 2011 8:57PM

Quote:'lesser gifted' of us?

I certainly don't think you are
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
20 Apr 2011 9:15PM
Members who you refer to as "very important" have been from all levels, some winning many awards, others going unnoticed. They leave for various reasons. Other joins I'm delighted to see the recent appearance of Miss Aniela

Quote:this site seems to promote sycophantic adulation for the chosen few instead of encouraging the (dare I say) 'lesser gifted' of us?

If by "this site" you mean the awards I give I've said it all before..I award what I think is best and have absolutely no "sycophantic adulation"
We introduced Guest editors to give an alternative view. If you're seeing some pics get huge numbers of votes, that's possible because they have a huge following of members who take the time to view selections of the gallery through favourites. Human nature at work and time sensitivity.

Got any suggestions of how we can avoid this...improve things and, I assume, pay your photo more attention?
Stenno 7 11 England
20 Apr 2011 10:10PM
Pete,

I find it quite surprising that you chose to use a sarcastic remark to close your reply, I'm actually not as shallow as you might think?
It does however surprise me a bit when after a few days I may get 15 to 20 votes and no comments for one of my images yet certain members uploading an image of perhaps the same standard will probably get 150 or so, a HC and EC within a 24 hour period?
Ok, perhaps I should emphasise that this comment wasn't actually directed towards you personally, or your chosen reasons for giving out HC awards etc.?
As a rule I never pass judgement (negative or otherwise) on the work produced by others, although at times if I see what I feel is an outstanding image, for what it's worth I do offer something positive? It does however surprise me that a few never even bother to respond with a simple thanks...unlike them (ego driven), I will never vote on someones work just so they may reply in kind, all I do is try to give credit where it's due?

Thanks to Coleslaw for your comment, very kind of ya although despite what Pete believes, I don't actually 'get off' on the adulation certain members thrive on?
I'm happy enough for people just to enjoy what I do and perhaps take a little time to give feedback making me aware that what I'm doing is actually worthwhile Smile
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
20 Apr 2011 10:18PM

Quote:I find it quite surprising that you chose to use a sarcastic remark

It wasn't a sarcastic comment. If you look at your reply it's fact...
Quote: I may get 15 to 20 votes and no comments for one of my images yet certain members uploading an image of perhaps the same standard will probably get 150 or so, a HC and EC within a 24 hour period?
and rather than just state what's not good it's much better to suggest solutions which is why I asked if you had any ideas. This is not written in a brash or aggressive way either - please read it with a sympathetic voice.
I mentioned to you before, in my mind your work is very good but generally not outstanding and that's why it gets less EC / HC attention. I will gladly dish out awards if I think a photo deserves them. Rightly or wrongly, I'm not going to start dishing quantity over quality.
The reason some pics get huge amounts of votes that aren't as good as yours is because the owner of the photo has a huge network of friends on here. It's human nature at work.
Ideas of how we can improve this are always welcome, but it's been like this for seven years or so and we've not found an answer yet.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
20 Apr 2011 11:23PM

Quote:The reason some pics get huge amounts of votes that aren't as good as yours is because the owner of the photo has a huge network of friends on here.

Quote:it's been like this for seven years or so and we've not found an answer yet.

I don't suppose you ever will Pete.

But let's not let this descend into another "clique click" thread. We've been down that road dozens of times.
NevP 9 853 13 Canada
20 Apr 2011 11:25PM

Quote:and we've not found an answer yet.

but it's imperative that we keep trying. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.