Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Current gallery trends...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lawbert
lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2011 - 10:02 PM

Quote: But photographic ability is so much more than just gear - its linked to lighting (both the use of and control of - and both natural and artificial) - subject - understanding - artistic ability

The equipment is an important part - but no less or more than the others. One might resent being called a beginner when they are doing a lot of lighting and expert composition whilst just using the cheap 50mm f1.8 on a 550D camera body.

Those that have the ability and knowledge using lesser equipment would I am sure not be offended by recieving an award....

But the cruxt of the matter is the reviewer and giver of the award would easily know a beginner, intermediate or pro on the given image..

Just look at your own first photographic images....pretty poo i guess and being improved upon all the time as they should be....But maybe you didnt post the first ones because you were put off by the quality of others and read up on kit and stuff.

Theres still a need to nurture and encourage people who have meagre kit and limited knowledge beyond the critique gallery etc.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Apr 2011 - 10:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
21 Apr 2011 - 10:10 PM

Quote: It is not about effort of the team, nor it is about either people putting in genuine camera/lens information, Paul.
It is just not a way to judge people's ability to produce good photos.
For example, if you give Keith Henson or Joe Cornish or Colin Prior or Andy Rouse a compact camera, are you going to class them as beginners?

The reviewer and awarder of an image should without doubt know a seasoned pro with a compact compared to a beginner.

I really couldnt see Andy Rouse without a very long lense unless!!.......But hey.. thats wildlife photography bought and paid for by someone elses research and merely the cash to get yourself there with the equipment and knowledge to nail the shot.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2011 - 10:11 PM

Quote:

Those that have the ability and knowledge using lesser equipment would I am sure not be offended by recieving an award....

even when that award is the top award for the beginner photographers?

Quote:
But the cruxt of the matter is the reviewer and giver of the award would easily know a beginner, intermediate or pro on the given image..

Really? I've known some beginners take some great shots without much experience and visversa.

Quote:

Just look at your own first photographic images....pretty poo i guess and being improved upon all the time as they should be....But maybe you didnt post the first ones because you were put off by the quality of others and read up on kit and stuff.

actually they are mostly not here because I started before I came here (and I did upload bad ones lots - they are still there!). But one a day makes you think about what you choose to upload yes. Same as within any photographic community.

Quote:
Theres still a need to nurture and encourage people who have meagre kit and limited knowledge beyond the critique gallery etc.

Again I agree, but pandering and lowering the award standards by making more brackets isn't going to help them. You've got to move away from the wards - that is flickr thinking that everyone who gets awards is going to improve. You've got to think outside of the awards box!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2011 - 10:13 PM

I would have given up photography long time ago, Paul, as I didn't get any HC/EC for over a year after I first joined, according to what you said.
If one really wants to learn and improve, they will just strive to achieve the standard they want to achieve. If they are put off by higher quality shots on the site rather than being inspired to achieve something of similar standard, then they probably should just upload photos to Facebook and share with their friends.

lawbert
21 Apr 2011 - 10:36 PM

Quote: I would have given up photography long time ago, Paul, as I didn't get any HC/EC for over a year after I first joined, according to what you said.
If one really wants to learn and improve, they will just strive to achieve the standard they want to achieve. If they are put off by higher quality shots on the site rather than being inspired to achieve something of similar standard, then they probably should just upload photos to Facebook and share with their friends.

I agree with you Cole....I have no HC or EC awards but I do have quite a few user awards and a couple GEA of which I am very proud of. So in that respect the award system works.

But EPZ is a photography magazine on the internet which is a 24/7, 365 a year environment and as such to my belief it only encapsulates the utmost of the best photography for its front awards page which can be very daunting to people.

There are a lot of facebook etc type shots uploaded to the gallery but this is waht the site is...A Photography Site open to all.

I still believe it should be possible though to sift through the genuine and not genuine images to award those up and coming photographers with limited equipment to nurture and encourage them to do as you and many others have done.

As for Flickr I have uploaded half a dozen shots on there and the level of reciprocation is totally over the top so I do understand the intended exclusivity of epz....But surely ideas, (put badly as in my case) should not be dismissed as the internet is a fast moving environment and whilst epz is the market leader if it rests on its laurels and doesnt encourage and recognise people with lesser eqipment it will surely lose its market share to what ever comes along next and the advertisers will follow that trend.

woodlark
woodlark e2 Member 10522 forum postswoodlark vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2011 - 11:59 PM

Im with Cole on this.
I went to my local camera club about 8 years ago entered a comp got a bit of a slating from the judge and decided to return when I had improved.

I found Epz and used the better photographers as inspiration, I slowly improved as I couldn't give enough hours to my photography. Got the odd decent image with a naff camera and the continued to love my hobby and build up my equipment.
Gone back to camera club this season and doing pretty well Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 9:24 AM

Quote: I really couldnt see Andy Rouse without a very long lense unless!!.......

You missed the bit of his lecture then at Focus when he showed the images using an ultra wide angle, then.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 1:00 PM

I'd certainly agree that the "kit" should not be a huge factor with awards - because its the end image that counts. I just don't see how relevant it is really - sure, it's "of interest" as we are curious beings and may like to see what kits been used.

We've also been round the "skill level" debate too - that's a whole nightmare scenario waiting to happen, how do you decided which level you're at for a start? Do you choose your own level, or do other people do that ? I'd choose beginner as I'm still learning Wink

What would you choose for yourself and would that be how others see you? Do you use the number of awards as a gauge of where you stand? Too many grey areas - too much potential for upset... and to what end really?

I don't really see any real benefit for people to be tagged in this way.

If you could filter the gallery on "ability", surely most people would just want to look at the best shots, and filter out all shots from "beginners" etc etc.

As for the debate on the EC/HC thing... I've not seen the issues with the processing on any of the EC portraits I looked at - I'd be curious to see which shot was being referred to, though via PM, not on a public forum.

I probably get more HC's than RC's these days so am obviously a fan of Pete's selections Wink

Should there be yet another award system?? Well with the GEA I still think we've got all bases covered - each week we get a completely different set of eyes awarding stuff - and Pete does his thing - and we have the user awards - and the popularity RC - and the POTW.... do we really need a "beginners award" or "intermediate award" - who'd award them, what criteria would you employ etc. etc.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72193 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 5:09 PM

Has this topic helped you Ade, in getting an idea about current gallery trends, as that was the question you asked? Wink
The main gallery does fascinate me, as I've never been completely confident about anything I've uploaded since I joined epz, regarding how well it is received.
Sometimes this is frustrating when I upload something I really like and it bombs, then other times, something is well received when I didn't expect it to.
When I'm looking through the main gallery, much as I try to be open minded about all the images, I rarely find that many I leave a comment on - a few more that I click-vote, mainly because of time restrictions.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 5:31 PM

yeah - Pete answered it straight away Smile

then it went waaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic!

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2011 - 5:33 PM

Only
Quote: waaaaaaaaaaaaay

Grin

Not the usual waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.