Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

curved horizon

flowerted e2
10 105 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 9:03PM
i went out on tuesday to do some slow shutter images of the rocks and sea, when checking on the computor a lot of images seem to have curved horizons.using a kit lens 18mm 55mm, any idears why this is happening
ted

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Railcam 8 481 Scotland
12 Jul 2012 9:17PM
The fact that the earth is a spheroid might have something to do with it. The horizon actually "is" curved. Barrel distortion in a wide angle lens might add to the effect but the fact remains the horizon is curved.

Take a ruler and hold it in front of you and you will see the horizon is not a straight line (unless you are a member of the "flat earth society")
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 8:30AM
This has to be a wind up - its not April 1st is it?
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 9:04AM
since its a well known fact that the earth is flat and that you may fall off the edge if you sail too close, im pretty sure its to do with barrel distortion due to the complex configuration of elements in your lens.

tilt it down and you have a convex curve, tip it up and your have concave the opposite effect , these are commonly called barrel distortion and pincushion distortion and they can be pretty much eliminated in photoshop.

problems come with really complex lenses or cheap lenses stuck onto bridge cameras where you sometimes get compound distortion like a snake shaped horizon.
Niknut e2
4 673 64 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 5:25PM
It's a typical occurrence with wide angle lenses !!.....with the horizon on the centre-line of the image it will appear
straight.......by tilting the camera down, to include f/g detail, the horizon is placed near the top of the image & appears
curved (down at each side).....tilt the camera up for a skyscape & the horizon is placed near the bottom of the image
& will curve the opposite way (up at each side).

The wider the lens, the more exaggerated the curvature.....I use an 8mm lens occasionally, & if I tilt the camera either
up or down from the horizontal the curvature of the horizon becomes extreme (see "Twisted Distortion" & "On top of
the World" in my PF..Grin)

It's just a 'characteristic' of wide lenses !.....but some slight curvature can be corrected in photoshop anyway, under the
'Filter > Correct Distortion' command.

Hope that helps a little ??.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.