Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Customised straps

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
9 Oct 2012 12:22AM
I`d been trying a selection of grip straps for the OM-D and found they all had one common problem, there no good if you want to hold the camera in portrait orientation.

Tonight I had a rumage through odds and ends, old straps and bits and pieces, this is what I came up with and made, a detachable neoprene wrist strap.

p1010006.jpg

p1010005.jpg

Held together with two cable ties and a plastic buckle from an old bag.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 12:40AM
Not sure I'd want to trust my cameras to "an old buckle".... I know how easily they pop. More so once they are worn.

Tbh, I'm not sure what the problem is, there are no end of wrist straps out there, but I can't see why turning the camera 90 degrees makes much difference, unless you swap your hands round?

If you have the strap round your right hand, isn't it still in the same place to press the shutter in any orientation?
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
9 Oct 2012 12:45AM
Old buckle ?

The camera is attached via a very tough connector.

So are you recommending that we all do away with are grip straps and hang cameras from our necks
Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 1:10AM
No, I never said that. I just can't see how your wrist strap works any differently to any other wrist strap.

The "old buckle" words were yours, not mine.

I have several times had "tough connectors" pop open...even on top end military grade kit. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't rely on it if my 1000 camera was hanging from it.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
9 Oct 2012 1:24AM

Quote:The "old buckle" words were yours, not mine

The plastic buckle isn`t supporting any weight it slides freely up and down simply to tighten the grip around the wrist.

This optic neck strap buckles have never sprung open, even supporting a heavy dslr and lens, so there`s no worries here Smile
parallax e2
5 119 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 8:22AM
I'd say that strap is a handy piece of improvisation. Must admit that somebody's got to invent an improved neck strap. Even a good neoprene one hurts after a while.
pabloisme 4 566 England
9 Oct 2012 8:33AM
as craghoppers now use them for nylon belts, and I first sold them in the 1980's with countrywear!

SO watch out for falling trousers Wink

and NOTE these nylon belts/buckles are IDEAL as flying (on holiday or business) wear NO stripping and hopping around holding yer trews up, under the anti knife and bomb checks!

all thanks to our not friendly.... suicide friends!
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 9:09AM

Quote:I'd say that strap is a handy piece of improvisation. Must admit that somebody's got to invent an improved neck strap. Even a good neoprene one hurts after a while.

They Did, Its called a Black Rapid and something I swear by now, altho I use A 3rd Party version,
worth every penny
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
9 Oct 2012 9:11AM
I've got a wristband thing intended for the hand control on a Nintendo DS.
It's very basic but you can tighten it via a sliding plastic collar, around your wrist. It won't break or come undone and you can hold the camera in just about any orientation.
Yours would be a lot more comfortable though.
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 11:07AM

Quote:I'd say that strap is a handy piece of improvisation. Must admit that somebody's got to invent an improved neck strap. Even a good neoprene one hurts after a while.

I don't normally bother when I have a 35mm prime fitted. However if I have one of my F2.8 zooms fitted, I always fit the strap around my neck and under my left shoulder (I am right handed) It is easy to swing the camera up to the eye quickly, and removes the weight off the neck.
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 11:52AM
Recently at a wedding I was a guest at the Tog had a strap that was attached to his belt which screwed into the tripod bush at the bottom of the camera. He had two, one each side for two cameras. I thought that was an iteresting alternative to a neck strap.
hollkj e2
10 187 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 12:57PM
If worried about buckle popping open then Optech have their Secure-Its . They are small felcro straps that wrap the two halves of the buckle. Effective but means unclipping the strap takes longer. Not sure if these were released due to unwarranted user concern or because Optech have had actual reports of buckles popping open.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 1:10PM
I have the Optech shoulder strap and on seeing the buckle my immediate thought was not strength of the buckle but security: if I were in a busy place it would be damned easy to nick the camera hanging from the strap. So I would either buy the Secure-its or use the original neckstrap.
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 1:16PM

Quote:Recently at a wedding I was a guest at the Tog had a strap that was attached to his belt which screwed into the tripod bush at the bottom of the camera. He had two, one each side for two cameras. I thought that was an iteresting alternative to a neck strap.

Like this, Seen one used but my consern would be that it gets jolted alot when moving around, that is not based on experience tho and it can be removed without you knowing. the black rapid still has the strap round you and cam be used comfortably

http://www.spiderholster.com/black-widow-kit.html
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 1:24PM

Quote:Recently at a wedding I was a guest at the Tog had a strap that was attached to his belt which screwed into the tripod bush at the bottom of the camera. He had two, one each side for two cameras. I thought that was an iteresting alternative to a neck strap.

Like this, Seen one used but my consern would be that it gets jolted alot when moving around, that is not based on experience tho and it can be removed without you knowing. the black rapid still has the strap round you and cam be used comfortably

http://www.spiderholster.com/black-widow-kit.html

Ouch!!! They show the requirement for an adjustable spanner to tighten the fixing point to the tripod thread on the camera base. I have visions of the tripod thread being ripped out of the base of numerous expensive cameras.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.