Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cyanotype anyone ...?

Lulu01 5 156
12 Nov 2009 9:53AM
I fancy trying out some cyanotype work using both old negatives and more expessive stuff.

Any ideas where I can buy ready prepared papers? Have looked online and can't seem to find anything.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.8k
12 Nov 2009 10:46AM
Find "The Keepers of Light" by William Crawford and it'll give you pretty comprehensive instructions. I gather the keeping qualities of the paper aren't good so it's best to coat your own a day before you intend to use it. For exposure, get a UV light-box of the kind used for printed-circuit making. Then you'll get consistent and controllable exposure, which will cut wastage. An important point because the price of good watercolour paper is horrendous.

Better still, find someone like me who has all the kit and chemicals sitting in the shed waiting for the day when I have a bit of free time for experiments. But unlike me in that he/she is willing to sell or give it away.
fstopshere 5 43
12 Nov 2009 11:20AM
Fotospeed do both a kit with starter quantity of chemistry and paper and refill,chemistry only, I think Firstcall do it.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
12 Nov 2009 12:21PM
We have a really good guide to doing Cyanotype here by one of the UKs leading authorities: Cyanotype by Dr Mike Ware
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2009 1:04PM
Firstcall do have coating and paper kits by fotospeed, but I don't see ready made paper there.
I have seen it sometime this year from a UK on line supplier.
I think an art materials or educational supplies company.
fstopshere 5 43
12 Nov 2009 1:30PM
Silverprint, London sell papers for alternative processes but I find a good choice for most alternative stuff is Arches Aquarelle, hot pressed if you want a smoother surface, which is generally available in art supply shops.
Lulu01 5 156
12 Nov 2009 2:21PM
Thanks for all your posts. Much appreciated.

I was thinking more of papers which have already had the solution applied. A friend has some she bought a while back, but can't remember where she got them from.

I have dropped Firstcall and Silverprint an email, just in case.

Any thoughts?
Lulu01 5 156
12 Nov 2009 2:22PM

Quote:Better still, find someone like me who has all the kit and chemicals sitting in the shed waiting for the day when I have a bit of free time for experiments. But unlike me in that he/she is willing to sell or give it away.

Where do you live??!!!
12 Nov 2009 8:23PM
BlueSunPrints.com

I'm sure it was listed by a UK supplier earlier this year, but I can't find it now. I expect its easy enough to do your own, and a lot cheaper, so sales may not have been very good.

Interesting is the idea that you can use fabrics as well as paper.
ripleysalien 8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2010 8:00AM
13 Oct 2010 8:42AM

Quote:Where do you live??!!!

More to the point - where do you live?
There's quite a bit of Cyanotype going on around here with a Childrens workshop at the Priddy folk Festival and workshops as part of Somerset Art Weeks.
One of the Festival workshop pieces was huge, about 8ft - see http://priddyfolk.org/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-1030
If you are in the South West I'll post more details.
13 Oct 2010 10:59PM
If anyone is still interested, considering the thread started nearly a year ago (!) I found mine eventually at Homecrafts, they call it nature print paper, here .

The cheaper paper is a bit thin, I don't how it goes for longevity, but it works fine. 8 for 30 sheets. The sheets are about 5x7, so they're also OK for contact printing with 4x5, quarter plate, half plate, and medium format. With the more expensive water colour paper, 8x10 sheets, I didn't really like the texture.

The best thing probably is to coat your own, but this is a quick an easy way of getting started
Lulu01 5 156
14 Oct 2010 7:23AM
Thanks for all your posts, and apologies for not replying sooner - I haven't been receiving any update notices via email so thought nothing else had happened with this since my last post in November 2009.

I did manage to get some paper through Amazon. It's called Sun Print Paper and is sold in packs of 10 x A5. It's been good fun, and you can get some quite results although they are quite variable. The paper seems to work better in strong sunlight rather than the more diluted autumnal sunshine.

DuncanDisorderly - the print made at the festival was great.
14 Oct 2010 12:59PM
I found mine does very quick in very strong sunlight.
Otherwiswe its slower and quite variable.
Also a good large daylight flourescent lamp will work, mine is very slow, but it is more controlled than sunlight.

The thing to do perhaps is make a printing box with fluorescent tubes, as people do for platinum and palladium printing, but that is a step too far at the moment.
Lulu01 5 156
15 Oct 2010 2:49PM

Quote:I found mine does very quick in very strong sunlight.
Otherwiswe its slower and quite variable.
Also a good large daylight flourescent lamp will work, mine is very slow, but it is more controlled than sunlight.

The thing to do perhaps is make a printing box with fluorescent tubes, as people do for platinum and palladium printing, but that is a step too far at the moment.

Thanks, Keith. I'll try the lamp. The printing box sounds interesting, but also a step too far for me at present.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.