Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cyber Security Strategy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thatmanbrian
    25 Nov 2011 - 5:06 PM

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/default/files/resources/The%20UK%20Cyber%2...

The government have published a paper (see above) with a couple of headline aims.

First is to use existing laws to punish criminals by banning them from the internet.

Quote: It calls for police and courts to make more use of existing “cyber sanctions” to restrict access to the social networks and instant messaging services in cases of hacking, fraud and online bullying. Sex offenders and those convicted of harrassment or anti-social behaviour also face more internet restrictions under the new strategy

Secondly, to use Facebook as a government tool to disseminate information to the masses

Quote: The document suggests that new routines of "cyber hygiene" could prevent 80 per cent of the current cyber crimes that affect businesses and the general public. And they'd like to deliver the new hygiene tips to us over social media.

I see problems for both aims. Firstly, how do you enforce bans or restrictions on the use of the internet? The Ministry of Justice talk vaguely of "cyber-tagging" but don't explain what that is. Then there is the civil rights issue, with Courts and Judges here and in the EU already having said internet bans are against human rights. (I simplify).

The second aim smacks of Big Brother doesn't it? Will all citizens be forced to be on Facebook so they won't miss out on the helpful government guidance?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Nov 2011 - 5:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    25 Nov 2011 - 5:59 PM

haaa im not on facebook good luck mr cameron

keith selmes
    25 Nov 2011 - 8:21 PM

Quote: how do you enforce bans or restrictions on the use of the internet?

It doesn't seem any different to driving. If someone is banned, it doesn't really stop them, but if they're caught, they're arrested and quite possibly "banged up", and most people will simply not risk it.

If they're using the internet for criminal activities, its difficult to see how a ban would be a civil rights issue, any more than depriving them of their freedom by putting them in prison. And if they're using it to harm other people, those people have to be protected.

On the second issue, disseminating information is what the systems are for. Good for them.
    No, they can't make me use Facebook, but if that's what millions of people are doing, it's a good way to reach them with useful advice and news.

Mind you, I already do get news from governemnt agencies via Twitter.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.