Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D lighting on or off

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 May 2012 - 4:05 PM

I am relatively new to digital following retirement so processing is a whole new world to me.
    I have the D3100 and D7000 and process using elements 9 I was advised to shoot in Raw with Active D lighting on I am aware that there is more control wth the D7000, however having read the July issue of NPhoto I am now confused as on page 80 it says that D Lighting is best used when shooting Raw files that will be processed by Nikon software as the same files will just look underexposed in Photoshop or Lightroom.
    So what to do ON OR OFF??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 May 2012 - 4:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 4:11 PM

This may help....or not Smile

User_Removed
    31 May 2012 - 4:17 PM

Active-D Lighting has no direct affect on Raw files (just as other in-camera settings do not directly affect Raw files).

But if you do use any of the in-camera settings when shooting Raw and you process in Nikon's own software (e.g. NX2), then the software will read the settings you used and apply them to the image produced from the Raw file. In third-party software, such as Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom, those in-camera settings are not picked up when you import a Raw file, so there is no point using them.

Look at it this way - by default, your Raw file contains all the digital data that the sensor picked up when you made the exposure. Why would you want to reduce that data by using in-camera settings such as Active-D (unless you are using NX2 and prefer to do some of the processing in-camera rather than afterwards on your computer)?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 May 2012 - 4:18 PM
    NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jun 2012 - 9:15 AM

thanks both will leave it off unless i switch to jpeg sometime

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    5 Jun 2012 - 7:53 AM

Quote: Active-D Lighting has no direct affect on Raw files (just as other in-camera settings do not directly affect Raw files).

That depends.
    If you process in Nikon software the effect (and most others) is implemented with RAW files - and can be modified on a "lossless information" basis.
    Nikon's free View NX is quite good for doing a wide range of basic adjustments on a lossless basis - better than say Elements 9.
    A lot of Elements 9 steps reduce 12 or 14 bit colour to 8 bit.
    The downside if you then want to further post process in something like Elements is you need to save as a TIFF first to carry over the camera settings and effects at both the taking stage and in Nikon post processing.
    If you want the highest quality, particularly for printing, always do as much as possible in the manufacturers (including Canon for Canon images) software, save it in a suitable format and then export it to some other software.
    If you are a Nikon Pro users Nikon say at their Pro training days if you think D-lighting might help use it in camera rather than post processing. Nikon say if this is done the camera reduces exposure if needed to preserve difficult highlight detail, which if lost, cannot be recovered. I am inclined to trust Nikon advice rather than some web feedback.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.