Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D200 custom curves for InfraRed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dandeakin
    dandeakin  6201 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Dec 2011 - 1:39 PM

I've been through the internet and the camera manual and can't find the answer:

I've had a Nikon D200 converted for infrared. I want to shoot in mono, with a hefty custom curves adjustment (IR images are often pretty flat).

I know you can upload a custom curve to the camera from the Nikon software.

Obviously I can also select 'monochrome' from the picture controls. As I understand it though I don't think that I can shoot with a custom curve and shoot mono at the same time?

Does anyone know differently

Thanks

Dan

P.S. I know I can shoot RAW and process later (I do this), but I wanted the JPEG preview on the camera's LCD to look more like the finished article.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Dec 2011 - 1:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    18 Dec 2011 - 2:38 PM

Quote: but I wanted the JPEG preview on the camera's LCD to look more like the finished article.

You'll never achieve it Dan - and it's a pointless exercise as the rear screen is purely for reference purposes. Checking the Histogram is a far better way of assessing the image.

Thom Hogan is my Guru on Nikons - here is his D200 eBook page - I can thoroughly recommend getting it (I have the D300 version)

Smile

dandeakin
    18 Dec 2011 - 5:25 PM

I do use the histogram (although it doesn't work the same after IR conversion).

I thought it would be nice if the LCD looked something like the RAW file does after it's been imported with a Lightroom preset etc. it's a shame, as you can set the D300/D700 to produce a high contast monochrome JPEG preview even when shooting RAW. I guess I'll just have to use my imagination when looking at the LCD image.

User_Removed
    18 Dec 2011 - 5:38 PM

Quote: I guess I'll just have to use my imagination when looking at the LCD image.

Understanding the Histogram is the key Dan... Smile

Have you tried looking at Life Pixel's coverage on the need to compensate on EV - as the camera's meter see's things?

Good Luck with this - and oh!!..

Merry Christmas. I hope the New Year is positive for you and yours.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 18 Dec 2011 - 5:44 PM
    User_Removed
    18 Dec 2011 - 5:45 PM

Quote: I guess I'll just have to use my imagination when looking at the LCD image.

Understanding the Histogram is the key Dan... Smile

Have you tried looking at Life Pixel's coverage on the need to compensate on EV - as the camera's meter see's things somewhat differently?

Good Luck with this - and oh!!..

Merry Christmas. I hope the New Year is positive for you and yours.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 18 Dec 2011 - 5:45 PM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73867 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2011 - 12:32 AM

The histogram shouldn't be affected it still shows the luminance and info in each of the channels. What is really fooled is the white balance. You will probably have one around 2K to get neutral colours.

On the review screen I always have it set very flat ( be it normal or IR) that way you can gauge what tones you have to work with.

When converting watch for softening of the image due to wavelength shifts between the channels (like chromatic abberations only far more prevalent).

But going back to your original point - cant you create a custom profile in NX2 then load it to the camera?

I don't have NX2 to check as I too use Lightroom as my converter.

dandeakin
    19 Dec 2011 - 8:42 PM

You can create a custom curve in NX2 (althought I can't seem to get it to work on my D200) - I believe that this only a curve, rather than an entire profile. e.g it only works for adjusting the curve on a colour image. The only way to shoot monochrome is to select the 'monochome' option, which doesn't seem to have the option of a custom curve.

This is different to my D300/D700. I've never bothered with with this feature before, but it would be nice to have a custom curve for IR images, even when shooting RAW, for the reasons above.

RE Histograms - my D200IR's and my old D50IR's histograms didn't work very well after conversion. The D50IR's highlights were blown&unrecoverable when the histogram showed a value of about 75% accross from the left. The D200IR's highlights are blown&unrecoverable at a value of about 90% accross from the left. No sure why, as all the 3 seperate channels did the same thing.

You can still use the histogram once you appreciate this, although the flashing highlight warning isn't much use - if there's any flashing on the LCD image then the image is probably massively over exposed.

I still use the histogram as a guide for exposure of the RAW file. It would just be nice to modify the JPEG preview on the LCD to get an idea of what the processed RAW file might turn out like.

Sounds like this isn't possible though, at least on the D200.

Thanks for the comments

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.