Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D200 Image Sizes / CF card storage

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Assyrian
    Assyrian  7132 forum posts Scotland
    7 Sep 2007 - 11:44 AM

I use Sandisk Extreme III compact flash cards with my D200. I have the camera set to Fine Jpeg with image priority. I always format in camera. But why is that I get WAY more images on the card than the camera suggests I will? I had approx 1000 on a 4GB card recently although the camera suggeest 449. I shoot wildlife and always have the high speed motor drive on but as far as I can see there is no D2X style crop to the file size. What's going on? It's not causing a problem but I can't explain it to my mate who asked.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Sep 2007 - 11:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    7 Sep 2007 - 12:07 PM

The figures displayed on the camera are derived from an average, preset file size kept in the firmware of the camera against a given CF card size.

The ACTUAL data captured - and therefore the ultimate, final, compressed file size - will vary tremendously depending on the amount correlated data the scene holds (light, colours, contrast etc).

As a test, try shooting a card full of RAW files. You might see small differences but the captured figure is far closer to the stated capacity due to the lack of in-camera processing going on compared to the massive processing taking place for a JPEG file. I use the same cards in mine and see the same 'problem' (Smile) when I shoot JPEG.

HTH's...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Sep 2007 - 12:10 PM
    Brom
    Brom  9804 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Sep 2007 - 2:21 PM

same thing happens to me. At least 900 images. I think of it as a bonus Grin

J4MIE
    J4MIE  738 forum posts Scotland
    7 Sep 2007 - 3:07 PM

Same here, I get about double what it says on the camera. Not complaining though!

NikLG
    NikLG  91736 forum posts England
    7 Sep 2007 - 4:07 PM

I get 60 on a sandisk card ( RAW ) and 61 on a Kingston card....never any more...

Nik

Brom
    Brom  9804 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Sep 2007 - 4:12 PM

how big a card are you using?

NikLG
    NikLG  91736 forum posts England
    7 Sep 2007 - 5:36 PM

I only ever use 1 gig cards.

Nik

kaybee
    kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Sep 2007 - 5:55 PM

Don't know why - but you get more if you turn the camera round to portrait format

Assyrian
    Assyrian  7132 forum posts Scotland
    8 Sep 2007 - 8:40 PM

It's not just me then! I'm reassured (but none the wiser!) Ta muchly!

BlindLemon
    8 Sep 2007 - 8:49 PM

Jpeg images are compressed, therefore, the amount of memory used will be different for each image. So the quoted number of Jpeg images that a given size card can store is just a guide.

If you were to shot in RAW the images are not compressed and would use alot more memory.

kaybee
    kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2007 - 10:54 PM

Even in RAW you get more if you turn it round to portrait.............................reason?

loweskid
    loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Sep 2007 - 2:28 PM

Quote: Even in RAW you get more if you turn it round to portrait.............................reason?

The memory chips are rectangular, not square, so you can store more pictures in them if they're turned round the same way?.... SmileSmileSmile

Edit - oooerr.. I don't know why that quote box has gone to pot!

Last Modified By loweskid at 9 Sep 2007 - 2:29 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.