Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D200 Image Sizes / CF card storage

Assyrian 7 132 Scotland
7 Sep 2007 11:44AM
I use Sandisk Extreme III compact flash cards with my D200. I have the camera set to Fine Jpeg with image priority. I always format in camera. But why is that I get WAY more images on the card than the camera suggests I will? I had approx 1000 on a 4GB card recently although the camera suggeest 449. I shoot wildlife and always have the high speed motor drive on but as far as I can see there is no D2X style crop to the file size. What's going on? It's not causing a problem but I can't explain it to my mate who asked.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
7 Sep 2007 12:07PM
The figures displayed on the camera are derived from an average, preset file size kept in the firmware of the camera against a given CF card size.

The ACTUAL data captured - and therefore the ultimate, final, compressed file size - will vary tremendously depending on the amount correlated data the scene holds (light, colours, contrast etc).

As a test, try shooting a card full of RAW files. You might see small differences but the captured figure is far closer to the stated capacity due to the lack of in-camera processing going on compared to the massive processing taking place for a JPEG file. I use the same cards in mine and see the same 'problem' (Smile) when I shoot JPEG.

HTH's...
Brom 10 804 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 2:21PM
same thing happens to me. At least 900 images. I think of it as a bonus Grin
J4MIE 7 38 Scotland
7 Sep 2007 3:07PM
Same here, I get about double what it says on the camera. Not complaining though!
NikLG 9 1.7k England
7 Sep 2007 4:07PM
I get 60 on a sandisk card ( RAW ) and 61 on a Kingston card....never any more...

Nik
Brom 10 804 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 4:12PM
how big a card are you using?
NikLG 9 1.7k England
7 Sep 2007 5:36PM
I only ever use 1 gig cards.

Nik
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
7 Sep 2007 5:55PM
Don't know why - but you get more if you turn the camera round to portrait format
Assyrian 7 132 Scotland
8 Sep 2007 8:40PM
It's not just me then! I'm reassured (but none the wiser!) Ta muchly!
BlindLemon 7 226
8 Sep 2007 8:49PM
Jpeg images are compressed, therefore, the amount of memory used will be different for each image. So the quoted number of Jpeg images that a given size card can store is just a guide.

If you were to shot in RAW the images are not compressed and would use alot more memory.
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
8 Sep 2007 10:54PM
Even in RAW you get more if you turn it round to portrait.............................reason?
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2007 2:28PM

Quote:Even in RAW you get more if you turn it round to portrait.............................reason?

The memory chips are rectangular, not square, so you can store more pictures in them if they're turned round the same way?.... SmileSmileSmile

Edit - oooerr.. I don't know why that quote box has gone to pot!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.