Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D200 Manual settings

28 Feb 2011 2:07PM
m-002.jpg

Could someone please help me? Please could you look at the properties of the above image and tell me why it is that if I use manual settings on my D200 I get this black picture. It is only if I use flash that I get an in decent capture.

I generally use a bank of four custom setting which I have set in camera - to use in different modes such as point and shoot, action etc., so do not always use manual. At the moment I cannot use manual at all.

Many thanks,
Sally

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2011 2:12PM
Without wishing any disrespect, do you understand that if you are in manual you have to adjust both the shutter speed and aperture yourself to get the desired exposure? My guess would be that these are set to let too little light into the camera in normal circumstances, but the flash is overcoming that because it is making the place brighter.

Ian
thewaiter e2
13 1.2k 9 England
28 Feb 2011 3:12PM
as with Ian, what was the aperture and shutter speed used on this ?
28 Feb 2011 6:46PM
Its not 1st April yet but I think the giveaway is "It is only if I use flash that I get an indecent capture." Flash and indecent capture? Yes I get it.
28 Feb 2011 8:35PM
Sorry Guys, just a typo nothing indecent meant. I just have a lousy capture.
Properties as below

EXPOSURE TIME 1/800 SEC
ISO SPEED ISO-1600
EXPOSURE 1/10
ISO SPEED 100
EXPOSURE 0 STEP
FOCAL LENGTH 300MM
MAX APERTURE 5
METERING SPOT
35MM FOCAL LENGTH 35
WHITE BALANCE AUTO
I might add that I still get a black picture even in bright sunlight. Presently have a bank of custom settings on the Nikon which work very well but would like to have a go at Manual settings. Anyone know of a step by step guide(for novices) on how to do this on the Nikon D200 starting with the basics!
Thanks Sally
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2011 9:06PM
Hi Sally. Try this:

Used Matrix metering. Choose any manual setting, and look at the inbuilt camera meter. Adjust either ISO, Aperture or Shutter until l you get the correct exposure (that is the meter should read in the middle of meter gauge).
28 Feb 2011 10:12PM
Hi miptog, Very helpful, I will experiment with it tomorrow, thank you very much! I can now get a picture instead of a black screen. Does anyone use the Nikon Cheat Sheet?
dlegros e2
12 217 England
1 Mar 2011 7:47PM
Where in the UK are you?

There are plenty of Nikon shooters who could offer help.

I'm West Midlands based, shooting with D80 and D300 - if you're local I would be happy to meet up and help.

Dom
1 Mar 2011 8:16PM
Hi Dom, based in North Norfolk.

Sally
dlegros e2
12 217 England
1 Mar 2011 8:33PM
Ah, bit far for me, but I'm sure there are other ePZers closer.
1 Mar 2011 9:16PM
Not a problem - will spend sometime looking at the Nikon Digitutor - guess it is all about me wanted to learn more about my camera. Thanks to all for trying to point me in the right direction.
Sally
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2011 12:47PM
hello there,

i have a d200, d300, and used nikon manual cameras too.

just to test the camera in manual, put on a stardard sort of length lens, ignore any meter readings

assuming cloudy bright conditions.

set iso 100

set aperature f8

set shutter speed 1/125 sec

this is the old kodachrome slide film box recommended settings for cloudy bright conditions.

if its too bright drop the aperature to f11, if too dark open to f5.6

if you get nothing come back and lets try again.

Phil
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
2 Mar 2011 1:34PM
Spot on Phil. The CdS prism on my Mamiya RB67 gave a reading of 1/125 at f/11 in sunny conditions using Ektar 100 film yesterday.

Remember how we managed in the days before any exposure meters when "normal cameras" (i.e. those costing shillings rather than pounds) had only one shutter speed and two holes in an aperture slide roughly equating to f/16 and f/11?

2 Mar 2011 4:39PM
Hi Phil, and LeftForum,

Really appreciate your time and advice.

Really dull day here - set the camera to( M) on the back - Program M. Set f5.6 Exposure 1/125sec - at ISO 100 but it has been another really dark day today. So, set white balance to cloudy day hoping that would help but had to increase the ISO to 800 just to get the picture attached - probably could have done with more ISO but would be interested to hear your commentsephotozine-027.jpg

A dose of sunshine might help. Look forward to hearing your comments.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2011 4:52PM
Hi Sally

Unless you are shooting at night I would have expected those settings to massively over expose your shot.

Can you confirm a couple of things:

- Can you see the meter reading, either through the viewfinder or on the top panel? If so where does it show when you use the settings above, in the middle?

- do you have any filters on the lens?

- when you look through the viewfinder does the image look darker than you would expect?

Either we are all missing something obvious or there is something wrong with the equipment.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.