Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D300 Live View

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BillyGoatGruff
    BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2011 - 4:06 PM

Hi all you Nikon gurus.

Here's a little poser.
    Anyone know if the depth of field preview button works in Live View mode on a D300?
    I haven't figured out how, yet! Sad
    My guess/experience is that it doesn't. Sad Sad
    If you know of a way to make it happen, then please reveal all!

I don't really need to know about the D3, D3x D700, D300s or any other Nikon machine as I don't have any of those!

Thanks in advance - I'll catch up when I get home.

Bill

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jun 2011 - 4:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2011 - 4:14 PM

DOF preview just shuts the aperture down to the selected F stop, so in theory there is no reason why it couldn't work in conjunction with live view, which really just relies on the mirror being locked up.

Ian

mickp
    mickp e2 Member 8mickp vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2011 - 4:21 PM

With live view on the D700 so I assume it's the same on the D300if you set the aperture before going into live view then when focused zooming into the live view screen will show you what is in focus throughout the frame. As far as I know you have to select the aperture before selecting live view for this to work and only goes up to f8.

Mick

Andy_Cundell
    3 Jun 2011 - 4:40 PM

For what it's worth, it doesn't work on the D90, just tried it!Tongue

BillyGoatGruff
    BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2011 - 5:09 PM

Thanks guys.

Ian, yep, I know what it does! Wink And agree that in theory it should work in live view; only it doesn't!

Mick - I'll give definitely that a try, although it does sound distinctly un-useful from dear old Nikon! It may also only work on the D700. I generally change settings etc whilst already in live view, so it would mean a slower set up and I frequently shoot at f/11 to be at the best diffraction limit/greatest DoF compromise! Worth a try, though, thanks.

Thought so, Andy! Sad

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    6 Jun 2011 - 4:26 PM

The only Nikon that shows dof at a stopped down aperture in LiveView is the D3s.
    Most Canon bodies show stopped down dof.

BillyGoatGruff
    6 Jun 2011 - 7:22 PM

Thanks Len!

Sounds pretty definitive to me, although not the answer I was hoping for but the answer I kind of expected!

BillyGoatGruff
    7 Jun 2011 - 8:21 AM

Well, if anyone is stilll interested, here's a quote from Thom Hogan, Nikon Guru Extraordinaire.
    He responded to my emailed query thus:-:

"Live View IS in depth of field preview. What youíre having a problem with is that you canít change apertures once in Live View ;~). Basically, Live View uses whatever aperture is set before you invoke it"

Kind of clears up my confusion rather succinctly.

Last Modified By BillyGoatGruff at 7 Jun 2011 - 8:21 AM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2011 - 8:55 AM

Quote: The only Nikon that shows dof at a stopped down aperture in LiveView is the D3s.
    Most Canon bodies show stopped down dof.

CORRECTION
    Sorry - this is not right.
    LiveView reads dof at the taking aperture - you can check this by looking at the size of the aperture blades through the front of the lens when LiveView is on.
    What you cannot do is compare dof at different apertures directly by changing the aperture setting except on the D3s.
    On other Nikon bodies to compare f8 dof to f11 you have to come out of LiveView, change the aperture, and go back into LiveView.
    For those not familiar with the feature the LiveView image is much brighter than a well stopped down viewfinder image, is much bigger, and you can zoom in on the LiveView image.

BillyGoatGruff
    14 Jun 2011 - 9:31 AM

Yep. That pretty much correlates with what Thom Hogan sent through, Len!

Just have to remember it when/if changing apertures - it's useful to have it pointed out, since I've been changing my settings from within Live View.
    Which is probably why I couldn't effectively see what I wanted to in terms of DoF. Not usually a big deal as a lot my landscapes are shot at f/11 and usually pre-set before invoking LV.
    It is interesting that even though a new aperture setting can be set in LV without a noticale effect on the LV screen, the picture is nevertheless taken at the new aperture!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.