Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D300 Max Print Size

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    4 Apr 2009 - 8:46 PM

Hi

I hope this hasn't been asked a hundred times before, I have searched. I have been asked to print some images as large as possible for an exhibition. I have no idea how large I can go with a D300 image. I take in RAW if that makes a difference. I don't print many and have only printed at 16inx11in before.

Thanks - Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Apr 2009 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    4 Apr 2009 - 9:55 PM

As large as you like so long as the printing house know what they are doing...

User_Removed
    4 Apr 2009 - 9:59 PM

Thanks Mike, do the images not loose quality as you get larger? I really have no idea about printing.

User_Removed
    4 Apr 2009 - 10:07 PM

It's all about perception Andy.

Print a 6x4 inch on your printer - a 16x12 indeed! - and what you will find yourself doing naturally is holding the the image - the larger it gets - further away from your eyes (so long as you are not being critical from an editing point-of-view at that particular output resolution)

As the image size increases, the same phenomenon occurs.. but the 'quality' of the original image does not diminish - so long as that original quality (light, subject, DoF, sharpness etc) remains.

I have a 6ft x 3ft poster print of this which, viewed at a natural distance (for the image size) you wouldn't tell apart from the 10"x7" version.

HTH's...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Apr 2009 - 10:10 PM
    User_Removed
    4 Apr 2009 - 10:12 PM

so as long as you stand far enough away the print will look ok. is that right? being me, I want it to look right even if you get close so i guess that would limit the max size?

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Apr 2009 - 10:58 PM

A lot will depend on how it is to be printed and on what media. I have seen prints from Epsom printers at 160 dpi that are identical to ones at 300 or 360 dpi. I print D3oo images at A3 no problem without interpoaltion, I'm sure they could be printed at A2 with the right sharpening / interpolation choice of media etc.

User_Removed
    4 Apr 2009 - 11:05 PM

If you want to be able to view a print at close quarters then divide the images pixel length and pixel height by your printers native resolution, probably around 300dpi. This works out at roughly 16"x9" for the D300.

To go larger something has to give as you have no more pixels to play with and they have to be added by interpolation - ie created by photoshop by comparing surrounding values. As has been mentioned the print size can be increased probably to the size of a building but will not look great when viewed up close.

It is catch 22 but I cannot see why you need the best of both worlds.

User_Removed
    5 Apr 2009 - 8:33 AM

Thanks, I will chat with the people doing the printing and work something out.

The only reason I guess I want the best of both worlds is because the way I look at printed images. I will always go up close and look.

I was talking to someone who makes a living out of teaching photography and selling his images (a couple of years ago I admit) and he bet me I couldn't tell the difference between a large, about 5ft across, print from digital and one from film. The digital one stood out a mile, all the edges were "blurred" and had sort of a halo effect to them. From a distance it looked ok, sort of.

I will experiment and see where it goes. I thought I wanted to have my work being shown! Whole new world of problems! Sorry, challenges, learning curves.......and more positive things like that!

Thanks for all the advice it will all be used.

Andy

User_Removed
    5 Apr 2009 - 9:17 AM

Not ignoring you Andy... just so pooped last night, I went to bed!

User_Removed
    5 Apr 2009 - 9:37 AM

Quote: Not ignoring you Andy... just so pooped last night, I went to bed!

Me too!

theorderingone
    5 Apr 2009 - 9:54 AM

Quote: just pooped last night

eewwwwww!

theorderingone
    5 Apr 2009 - 10:01 AM

Apologies, I couldn't resist!

On the subject of print sizes, I have a poster I made from smaller prints on the wall taken with a 6mp Fuji S2 which is nearly a metre and a half high. From a sensible viewing distance it looks great. Up close it does look a bit nasty though.

For a print that'll stand close inspection, I find 150dpi will normally give a good enough result on most printers. It just depends what you class as close inspection, I suppose! Wink

Why not attempt to print some smaller samples using the same printing process at different resolutions to see what the maximum compromise you can live with is?

User_Removed
    5 Apr 2009 - 10:10 AM

Maybe I need to buy a printer!! I only get them printed when I need them and I use South West Colour Labs for them. I will get some done over the next couple of weeks and let you know how they work. Thanks.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.