Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D300 move to D800 or D600 dilema

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gavrelle
gavrelle  231 forum posts England
20 Sep 2012 - 12:20 PM

Dear Colleagues,
this may have been covered in previous threads. I currently use a D300 which i absolutely adore, my main glass is the 28-70 F2.8 and 80-200 F2.8 both old but good. I would like to add a full frame camera to my D300, but which one. I mainly shoot landscapes, nature but do do some sudio glamour/portrait work.
I like the look of the D700 but most on sale at the moment seem to be pricey with high shutter counts. The D800 has come down in price, but opinions seem mixed, the D600 was announced last week, looks the right number of pixels, but is probably 200 to pricey. I admit i was hopingthe D600 would have the body of the D700 wit hthe pro features but new sensor and processor within that body, i am not sure that the D600 is quite what i wanted.
So dilema is D800 or D600 as prices are not gulfs apart. sO opinions please!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Sep 2012 - 12:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91033 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 12:39 PM

If I was buying at the list prices, I would probably go for the D800. As you say, the difference in price doesn't make much sense at the moment. However, if you were to wait 6 months, I suspect the D600 would be available at a substantial amount less than RRP and may fit more readily with what you were thinking.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62479 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 - 1:15 PM

Adding an FX body is straightforward (apart from money) when you have no DX lenses and want to keep the DX body Smile
Your D300 is comfortably good for 16x12 prints to 1600 ISO.
What do you want to do with more MP, different dof and better AF?
If you want to print A2 cropped or to have the best AF the D800 wins - with a small price premium.
If you want to wait perhaps 3 months for a D400 you could have another option.
Ideally you need USB 3 and a recent fast computer processor for either new body, but more so for the D800.

Mayfly
Mayfly  9485 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 1:20 PM

I'm also a D300 user and Love it to bits,

If I had the readies available and was looking to buy within the next few weeks I would go for the D800. Extra MP for landscapes (which you are more likely to enlarge) and for studio work the D600 is missing a PC connector and has a max sync of 1/200th. Not sure if this is a dealbraker as you have this facility on the D300 if you need it but certainly something to consider.

As Stu says it won't be long before the prices tumble, unless Nikon is planning on being crafty, keeping the prices of the D600 up to make the D800 appear better bang for your buck...

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 - 2:44 PM

If the purse fits and as you say your into landscape then go for the D800e.
Had mine for only a couple of weeks, retirement present, plus daughters chipped in with some fast glass awesome piece of kit.
Yes I could have waited for the 600 or 400 or what ever next months camera will be, but at some point you have to take the plunge and hope that the price you pay doesnt crumble to fast.
Now I have to upgrade my PC monitor printer etc to take full advantage of the 800e's capabilities.
Now where did I put that piggy bank

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 3:42 PM

At the moment I think it's pretty much a no-brainer between the D600 and D800 - but very sensible prediction [IMO] from Stuart. If you don't need the extra megapixels/want the chug of those enormous file sizes, you can [SFAIK] choose to shoot at a lower resolution and still get the benefit of the 800's superior build/AF extra features.

The D600 may well be around the 1400 mark in 6 months time. I'd hazard that the D300 successor at the top of the Dx line will probably offer better build quality, better AF and metering and much faster shooting speeds - and be not much cheaper than 1400 on release. All hypotheticals of course...

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 4:08 PM

The D800 is by far the best camera in it's class and nothing to really touch it. This camera is even pushing Hasselblad, so if I were you I would snap it up. People keep on about large files, but extenal hard drives are now cheap to purchase to keep your images on.
Stephen

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 4:25 PM

With the current price differential between the D600 and the D800 it really is a no-brainer. The D800 wins by a long way.

gavrelle
gavrelle  231 forum posts England
20 Sep 2012 - 6:13 PM

Thanks you all, there are a few good points made.

Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 6:57 PM

Quote: With the current price differential between the D600 and the D800 it really is a no-brainer. The D800 wins by a long way.

The difference is now (as in today according to CPB) 500 for a UK supplied camera.

D600 at Amazon

D800 at Amazon

LenShepherd
20 Sep 2012 - 7:42 PM

1650 VAT paid is "about right" for UK; based on US $2000 excluding taxes.
For reasons known only to Nikon the D600 is priced much higher in the EEC than USA.
UK D800 prices were similar to USA at launch.
With recent UK D800 discounts prices seem lower than USA.

User_Removed
26 Sep 2012 - 9:42 AM

In one of the daily e-mails I received this morning from Amazon.co.uk, they are now offering the D800 (body only) at 2070.

thewilliam
26 Sep 2012 - 9:46 AM

I suspect that the D600 is over-priced and will depreciate faster than the D800.

Saving a couple of hundred now could cost more when you come to sell.

It's worth considering the "total cost of ownership" before you buy. A genuine Nikon lens that was bought 30 years ago will fetch about twice its original purchase price on eBay whereas most of the independants aren't even worth listing singly.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 26 Sep 2012 - 9:50 AM
triumph
triumph  5 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 1:27 PM

I am pleased I have come back to check these forums, I too feel D600 is well over price, but its weight appeals to me. I am a current owner of E system Olympus having the 400 n 620, therefore the 600 possiibly would be the better of the 2, here comes a but, I feel the 800 is better value for money. I guess sitting on the shelf for 6 months and see if the prices get more realistic. Triumph

LenShepherd
27 Sep 2012 - 7:25 AM

Prices are coming down quite quickly.
One reason is the exchange rate on UK imports of Japanese cameras has improved about 5% in the last 6 weeks.
My advice is when you are getting ready to buy start at http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Nikon_D600_Body_pc.html

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 27 Sep 2012 - 7:27 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.