Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D300 move to D800 or D600 dilema

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
photofrenzy
7 Nov 2012 - 5:53 PM

The D800 will probably do away with having the need for an aps camera, It will give you 36mp full frame and 15 mp aps 3 mp more than your d300 so makes sense to get rid of your D300 and opt just for the D800 and adjust format at the touch of a button as and when needed Simples .Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Nov 2012 - 5:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 12:24 AM

We've been using a D300s for the past several years, since its inception...recently purchased a D800, and are more than happy with it. Overexposes horribly at times, but no more so than any other Nikon DSLR we've ever owned... The low FPS rate is a pain at times, but we can live with it. ISO 6400 shooting is awesome, and the detail recorded, even jpeg is astonishing. For the price difference between the 600-800 I would opt for the 800 everytime.

We've not been on here for a while, so you'e probably bought by now anyway Smile

gavrelle
gavrelle  230 forum posts England
14 Nov 2012 - 10:01 PM

KNS, i am happy with the D800, its phenominal. Its like using a film camera with kodachrome!!. I have nt sold my D300, it still has a place, so i have an awesome team.

KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 10:26 PM

Good to hear - enjoy Smile

Appledorephoto
15 Nov 2012 - 1:18 AM

A sensor can only sense the image it receives from the lens; you should seriously consider trading the venerable 28-70 in for a newer 24-70. The improvement is not subtle, and every step up in resolution exposes it ever further. The obvious choice of bodies is the D800. Using a D800 with a 28-70 is like driving a Ferrari with the handbrake on; it goes, but you are missing out on a lot of performance.

I can't comment on the D600 images but I assume they are very similar to a D3x. This means they will be very good indeed, but the D800 is in a different league.

gavrelle
gavrelle  230 forum posts England
15 Nov 2012 - 6:18 PM

I assume Mr Appledore that you aare local to me on the ROmney marsh?. Fair point, a 24-70 is on the horizon, but not yet, the walletts taken a kicking. Actually i have found that the 28-70 is a decent lens, so is still doing the job. You have hi lighted the important point, folks keep banging on about camera resolution, but it the lens which needs to be good. I will have to hire/try a 24/70 to see if there is an appreciable difference.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.