Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D300 tethered shooting

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

geniehawk
geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
26 Aug 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hi All, Can anyone give me any advise as to how to use my D300 tethered to my computer, I am at the" thinking about it" stage to use when doing small plant & flower images in my studio (spare bedroom!).

Thanks
Jeannie.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2010 - 12:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

akh
akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2010 - 12:52 PM

This any good?
Tony

Nikon_Tog
Nikon_Tog  6105 forum posts England
26 Aug 2010 - 1:06 PM

Lightroom 3 also supports tethered shooting for the D300.

Barry.

redhed17
redhed17  8658 forum posts England
26 Aug 2010 - 2:50 PM

I've used this software in the past just to see if it worked, and it did very well. Smile

I used it with a D200, and possibly my D300. They say the D300 works though.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2010 - 3:05 PM

Lightroom 3, The tethered shooting facility is very very slick......Smile

geniehawk
geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
26 Aug 2010 - 3:08 PM

Thanks for your replies, I will look into the suggestions and try to understand them!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62481 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
27 Aug 2010 - 9:47 PM

If all lap-tops had a HDMI input it would be easier.
Most DSLR's have HDMI output to a TV - which I think with Nikon can be set to show on monitor without software.
Software is needed to control the camera from the laptop.
Nikon works with up to 30 feet of HDMI cable - John Clements sometimes works this way for his lighting workshops.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 27 Aug 2010 - 9:47 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2010 - 9:58 PM

As others have said Lightroom 3 works just connect from a USB cable, using the one provided with the camera to connect to a laptop.

Only really just had a play to see if it works. If you don't currently use LR you can download. Trial version for 1 month.

chase
chase Critique Team 91118 forum postschase vcard England240 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 9:14 AM

Just had a quick play with this technique in LR on my main PC.I only have the very short cable that came with my D300 though so it was very limiting,looks interesting though.
Which USB extension would anyone recommend ?...my PC is in my 'studio' so I would need a 5metre one I reckon,to give me plenty of room for movement.
There seem to be plenty around but the price ranges tell me there are good & not so good available.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 10:23 AM

Quote: Which USB extension would anyone recommend ?

Think I am correct in saying that the connection on the camera body is a mini-usb, and most 5M USB cables are standard USB at both ends. This will require an adapter for the camera end. The weight of the trailing cable can often cause the lead to be pulled out and if not used carefully, also possibly bend the connection in the camera body.

chase
chase Critique Team 91118 forum postschase vcard England240 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 12:30 PM

Yep,the camera end is a mini usb..the other end is a normal usb for the computer.Is there something around that will actually fit onto the normal sized usb plug,then it would be like fitting an extention cable to the existing camera cable...or am I talking rubbish as per usual ?

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 12:47 PM

Bought a 5m cable from Robert Dyas some time ago, 10 I think, which included the converter to mini-usb. May still have them. The problem I have is that it keeps popping out.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 2:29 PM

Janet they are readily available as the mini USB fits quite a few things, Blackberrys, a lot of Satnavs I think most mobiles will shortly use it as a default for chargers so you shouldn't have too much problems.

chase
28 Aug 2010 - 3:27 PM

Thanks guys....a trip to Maplins tomorrow it is then Wink

dlegros
dlegros  12217 forum posts England
29 Aug 2010 - 12:39 PM

If you get a standard USB extension, one end will be a plug, the other a socket, you then plug your camera cable into the socket on the extension.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.