Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D300s Pointless

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

photofrenzy
31 Jul 2009 - 3:07 PM

I am all for camera upgades be it a worthwile one, But Nikons new Arrival the D300s is absolutely pointless.

Some things are best left alone and in this case they should have left the D300 alone what a completely waste of time.

Why not upgrade the D90 and call it the D90s for whats its worth with what they have given the D300s.

Nikon got it right first time with the D300 it was a SIGNIFIGANT upgrade from the D200.

Would be interesting to see how many people trade in thier beloved D300 for the D300s .

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2009 - 3:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 3:21 PM

Pointless for you... but not for people who wants a D300 with video mode.
Wink

MattGrayson
31 Jul 2009 - 3:25 PM

I expect it's a stop gap between now and a more substantial upgrade later this year or early next year. I may be wrong...

Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 3:26 PM

I agree
D300 body 1149
D300s Body 1499

D700 Body 1729 is the one i would go for now as the price point diff is only 230 and you get full frame and better noise responce and many of the features of the D3.

BTW i have both a D3 and D300 so i know the differnece betwen them, i dont need a movie mode and the s does not offer 350 of value but the D700 would.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 3:30 PM

Quote: Would be interesting to see how many people trade in thier beloved D300 for the D300s .

I don't think the D300s is aimed at current D300 users - but rather new customers who are thinking of buying the D300.

If the addition of the movie mode gives it a competitive advantage in the marketplace, then it is worth it.

Besides, how do you improve a D300?

randomrubble
31 Jul 2009 - 4:06 PM

I think the clue is in the name D300s.

A genuinely significant upgrade would be called D400, no? It's just a catch up adding video which, like it or not, is something people seem to want.

SteveCharles
31 Jul 2009 - 4:10 PM

Just like when they released the D70s after the D70, and the D2Xs after the D2X, putting a few extras & improvements onto an existing model. It's nothing new.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 4:19 PM

Quote: I don't think the D300s is aimed at current D300 users - but rather new customers who are thinking of buying the D300.

If the addition of the movie mode gives it a competitive advantage in the marketplace, then it is worth it.

Exactly. For some people, it may be the last little push.
No, I won't be trading in my D300, because it kicks ass. But in three or four years, when my shutter's begging me for mercy, I'm not going to sniff at a a good camera just because someone's put video or something into it. I'm sure there are many D70 or D80 users out there today in a similar situation, for whom the interest has just been piqued.
Back when I had a bridge camera, there were times that the video capability came in handy. There are times now that I wish I still had the option. I'm sure I'm not the only one. And as was pointed out elsewhere, the dual card slots make a welcome addition, especially for those who are looking to upgrade from some of the entry level cameras.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 31 Jul 2009 - 4:21 PM
edsephiroth
31 Jul 2009 - 4:33 PM

Well I was gonna start a thread on this but even that seemed pointless - I really don't understand and would rather Nikon spent their time developing something worthwhile, instead of adding the optical equivalent of fluffy dice.

No-one who wants a high-spec DSLR is going to be swayed by the addition of 5mins of video film capability, and no-one who wants a decent video camera will see this as a viable substitute, surely?

Even if you were already planning on getting a new D300 and this came out, I can't see anyone thinking that it's worth the extra dough.

I would like to think Nikon know what they're doing, but given that the article on this site suggests they're not even sure what the "s" stands for, I'm not too convinced about that either!Wink

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123934 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 5:02 PM

It will be popular with pros who shoot unrepeatable events; the 300S has two cards which for me is far more useful than the video function.

Last Modified By peterjones at 31 Jul 2009 - 5:03 PM
Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
31 Jul 2009 - 7:19 PM

I agree about the 2 cards i have a D3 and the 2card system is great,but i am looking for a second body does this mean that a d300 will fall in price to make it a must have 2nd body,or at the price of the S the d700 body is only a couple of quid more.Hmmm.
Quote: Besides, how do you improve a D300?

Buy a D3?

Last Modified By Graysta at 31 Jul 2009 - 7:22 PM
User_Removed
31 Jul 2009 - 7:34 PM

Why? The D300 can deliver everything the D3 can - UNLESS - high fps is required for 80% of what you shoot.

The same was/is true for the D200/D2x combination.

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Jul 2009 - 7:35 PM
bigalguitarpicker

What exactly is the problem with having video capability?

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
31 Jul 2009 - 8:04 PM

Your right Mike, but the D3 will deliver the full frame which the D200/D2x could not,I was allways a sceptic of the full frame Vs crop debate, for my pack of lenses full frame was a real move.and i also use the high fps of the D3.but as fast as manufacturers move on the downfall of all the technoligy lies between the trigger and the shoes of the person buying it.

Graham

User_Removed
31 Jul 2009 - 9:14 PM

Ah! Yes... the 'Holy Grail' that is (supposedly) Full Frame. I had forgotten...

I use my F5 for that.

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Jul 2009 - 9:14 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.