Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

d3100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    brrttpaul
    brrttpaul  2188 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Feb 2012 - 8:29 PM

my computer died last week so had a new one today trouble is i cant connect my camera as theres no driver now and cant find the disc, i tried the nikon site but try as i might couldnt find it, any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Feb 2012 - 8:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2012 - 8:52 PM

Buy a card reader. Far more efficient than connecting a camera every time.

sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk e2 Member 5250 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2012 - 10:18 PM

yes definitely buy a card reader you dont have all the bother of loading software

Hobo
    Hobo  866 forum posts England
    28 Feb 2012 - 10:23 PM

Most new computers will have a card readers built in.......?

brrttpaul
    28 Feb 2012 - 10:25 PM

i did think about that and will probably go down that route, but I still think Nikon are a bit tight saying its not available, even when I bought the camera (roughly 500) there was no lead supplied with it, you would have thought they would have put one in

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Feb 2012 - 9:54 AM

Quote: but I still think Nikon are a bit tight saying its not available, even when I bought the camera (roughly 500)

Nikon supplied you with a disc when you bought the camera, Its hardly thier fault that you lost it.....Sad

Whatever, There is NO specific driver download for most modern cameras ( Including the D3100 ) However where a driver information for cameras made after an Operating System was built, Is required the companies do include said driver/info data in the software provided with the camera at time of purchase....!!!

The version of any disc based software will in most cases have been updated, Many times in some cases, Since the disc was first written.....!!!!!!

This is " Why " the likes of Nikon and Canon amd others " Provide " free downloadable versions of the software you require, This way you get the latest updated version of the software, In Nikons case the software you are looking for is " Nikon ViewNX2 " The latest " Free " download is available from here......:D

Do read all the stuff related to the download, Make sure you download the correct version for your OS & System bit type......Then download and install the software......Smile

During install procedure the software will if required load any drivers applicable to newer model cameras etc etc, This whole fiasco has not changed for years......Grin

Quote: there was no lead supplied with it, you would have thought they would have put one in

Agree this is a bit mean, You get one with the D5100 though....Smile But look at it this way, Lets say the USB leads cost Nikon 50p, They then put one in each of the 500,000 D3100 boxes they sell, To you or me thats 50p, To Nikons profit margin that a cool 250,000 Yup! A quarter of a million squids.....Smile Thats a lot of wonga for a few cables.....!!!!

Especailly when many people say " Get A Card Reader " and don't bother with a cable......Wink

User_Removed
    29 Feb 2012 - 11:29 AM

Quote: Thats a lot of wonga for a few cables.....!!!!

Especailly when many people say " Get A Card Reader " and don't bother with a cable......Wink

...and, you will almost certainly discover that the free cable you get with your card reader will also fit your camera should you ever wish to use it as such (can't imagine why).

User_Removed
    29 Feb 2012 - 11:32 AM

....having said that, if your new computer is running Windows 7, then your camera should "plug and play" as should your card reader if you decide to spend 2.50 on one.

brrttpaul
    29 Feb 2012 - 6:12 PM

First of all, thank you very much for the link its very much appreciated. Maybe i was a bit short with Nikon. I hate writing letters for anything as I never put myself over correctly. I should explain that the new computer is an old refurbished one lol, running windows xp, seeing as i was saving for a Nikon 55-300 mm lens I was a bit gutted at having to buy another computer so opted for the refurbished one which cost 100. Obviously it it just the bog standard computer no card reader, I think I got it sorted now by buying a docking station with card reader (18). Im not the best with computer jargon i was just told by one of the boys in work "prob the driver", so just looked for that.
    Anyway once again
    Thanks
    Paul

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.