Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D3100 battery life.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jestertheclown
    18 Aug 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just a question for those of you using EN-EL14 batteries, the one used in the D3100 and I believe the D5100.

Roughly, how many shots do you get from a fully charged battery?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Aug 2012 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
    18 Aug 2012 - 1:05 PM

There are too many variables: Shot taking, shot viewing, menu fiddling, VR lenses, built in flash, etc. Do you have view after shot switched on? I had as little as 50 from a EN-EL15 when I first purchased the camera. Nikon reckon a 1000, but under what conditions?

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 18 Aug 2012 - 1:07 PM
    Jestertheclown
    18 Aug 2012 - 4:17 PM

Sorry Chris, I should have been more specific.
    The reason that I ask is that I've just bought a D3100 and unsurprisingly, before I bought it, I read everything that I could find about it.
    All the reviewers and Nikon themselves reckon that it ought to be good for about 550 odd shots before it needs recharging.
    There were however, some forum posts, (not on here) by people who's batteries were only lasting for 200 or so shots.
    Initially, I used mine straight from the box and obviously there was a lot of fiddling with settings and taking shots that I didn't really want, just to get the thing working as I wanted it and for me to learn how it all worked. That ended after about 250 shots, leaving me mindful of the 200 shot forum posters.
    I recharged it and used it normally, resulting in another 250 odd shots, about half of these using the built in flash.
    I then recharged it and as I expected, each time it seems to last a bit longer.

The last charge however; only its fourth, has given me 1,329 shots.

It was still showing a third full but I charged it anyway as I wanted to go out and I didn't want my next shot to be the last!
    These were all shots taken during the last week or so, out and about with Chloe, my daughter and are really only snapshots but they're shots all the same. In each case, VR was on, as was AF and I was checking the shots after shooting, sometimes using the histogram, sometimes not and sometimes checking for blown highlights. I used the flash a fair bit, although probably on less than half of them and on three occasions the appropriate folder was played back so that Mum could see them.
    There was no use at all of 'live view' or video.
    I'm not complaining but 1,329 seems like an awful lot more than Nikon and others have said I should expect.

Is this exceptional?

Your views anyone . . . ?

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 18 Aug 2012 - 4:18 PM
    PinkK
    PinkK  480 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Aug 2012 - 6:35 PM

I recently bought a D5100, charged the battery fully when I got it, it's only used a third of the battery power after much fiddling with all the settings and I have taken about 600 images...so I think 1,329 is really good. I had read that the battery life wasn't that good, but bought the D5100 regardless of that particular negative review of the battery Smile

Chrism8
    Chrism8 e2 Member 7730 forum postsChrism8 vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Aug 2012 - 6:44 PM

Lithium Ion batteries will take a few charge cycles to obtain their max endurance.

Jestertheclown
    18 Aug 2012 - 7:22 PM

Quote: it's only used a third of the battery power after much fiddling with all the settings and I have taken about 600 images

Sounds as if you're heading in the same direction then. I'll be interested to hear how many shots you end up with.

Quote: Lithium Ion batteries will take a few charge cycles to obtain their max endurance.

Yes. I'd expected its duration to improve after a five or so cycles but I never expected this.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 18 Aug 2012 - 7:23 PM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62362 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    18 Aug 2012 - 8:33 PM

I do not know anything specific about this camera - but Nikon's without a separate clock battery (D3 & D3s) generally use part of the first main battery charge to charge up the internal clock.
    After 2-3 charges you should have a good idea of how many shots the way you use your camera.

Jestertheclown
    18 Aug 2012 - 8:43 PM

I don't know anything about that Len.

I'm just pleased that it's working well. I shall still have to get a spare battery for peace of mind, if nothing else and I'm expecting to get fewer images if I begin to use it more seriously but for more general use, which is mostly what it will be used for, the future's looking bright.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.