Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D3100 vs D90

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Alda
Alda  146 forum posts United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi all Grin

I have had my D3100 for a few months and I love it - it's my first DSLR and I haven't even touched my Finepix S9600 since I opened the box of my new toy.

However... I am sorely tempted to get a D90. My ultimate goal is to do portraits/boudoir/fine art nudes, and I'm not sure the D3100 will live up to that.

Also, lenses... I have the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm f1.8G AF-S. I'm torn between the 55-200mm or the 18-105mm. All of these lenses will (I assume, I'm very confused at the moment), work on both cameras. I'm on a budget, so really can't do any more prime lenses SadSad.

Any help/tips/advice will be greatly appreciated. The more I read and research I do the more confused I get, so it will be nice to hear from people who actually use these cameras/lenses.

Alda Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Mar 2013 - 10:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
9 Mar 2013 - 11:27 PM

Don't go dashing into buying another camera until you've exhausted all of the possibilities with the first one.
I also use a D3100 and it's quite up to the job of producing some fine work, portraits included, particularly with your prime 50mm.
That's not to say that the kit lens is lacking.
I can't help you re. the two zooms as I've never used either. I do, however, have the Nikon 55-300, which gives a bit more reach (obviously!) and costs a bit more.
It gives excellent results though and I reckon that it's well worth the extra money.
It all depends on what you want to do with it, I suppose.
Hope this helps.

Bren.

pablophotographer

hello Alda.

I would say stay with the D3100. Keep the money for the lenses Wink

A friend of mine has the D3100, with the VR 18-55mm and a Sigma telephoto.
He feels he wants a brighter and wider lens like the f1.4 24mm, especially for improving light ghosting when shooting video at night time. The Nikon website has a useful tool under lenses section where it stimulates what you picture you get from the camera you use to shoot it with. Give it a try, (Although I didn't see a portrair picture there).
I suggested him the x 0.7 converter lens by Digital King (to give him wider not brighter point of view)
I suggest you to check what is being discussed under the lenses forum also.

kodachrome
10 Mar 2013 - 10:05 AM

If you intend to stay loyal to one brand, in this case possibly Nikon, invest in top quality glass, the body can come later if you feel its needed.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
10 Mar 2013 - 10:37 AM

I would agree with the above comments. However, and at the risk of appearing mercenary, should you decide to move up to a D90 I have one for sale in the classifieds. It is a superb camera and a lot more versatile than the 3100.
Also, I would not be too keen on the 18-105 zoom because it has a plastic mount, which is a serious potential weakness for a lens which may be on-and-off the camera a lot.

Andy_Cundell
10 Mar 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have a D90 and love it to bits, it really is a great camera. I have seen all the new camera's coming out and would love to upgrade but ask yourself this:

Have you really outgrown your camera or have you actually only just learn how to use it properly?

AndyGrin

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2013 - 1:02 PM

Bottom Line, The D3100 is an easy peasy " Entry Level " DSLR.....!

The D90 however is a more flexible " Advanced Amateur " camera, Though its a bit long in the tooth by today's standards....LOL...Grin

You would be wiser looking for something like a D7000 or splash the cash on a D7100, That said the D90 is a pretty darn good machine all round.

The choice however is yours, If you feel your ready to upgrade to the newer technology.....Why Not Go For It .....Smile

There are some thing's you can only get from a newer camera body, ie: Greater Resolution, Faster AF, Better ISO to Noise ratio Just for starters.......Wink

Sure a good lens upgrade is an option, But it will not make up for High ISO issues Or more detailed resolution, It Might perk the AF a tad, But not enough in all situations to be a deal breaker.

Personally I'd look around for a D7000 or go the whole hog with a D7100..........Simples....Smile

Alda
10 Mar 2013 - 1:50 PM

My budget doesn't stretch anywhere near a D7000/7100 Tongue. The reason I'm so tempted by the D90 is that I can get a used one in mint condition for 349, that I can pay off over two years. At the moment that's a very attractive option for me.

Mmmm, let me sleep on it again lol. Thank you all so much for your comments/advice GrinGrinGrin

DerekL
DerekL e2 Member 9100 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2013 - 5:09 PM

Might be worth you checking this one out in the "classifieds" section to save you a little more money?
http://www.ephotozine.com/classified-ad/niko-d90-body-for-sale--280-7154

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 - 11:31 AM

Alda,
stick with the d3100 till you can afford the jump to a 5100 or 7100 the 50mm lens you have will be fine as will the kit lens.
As for going for a telephoto the 18-105 may suit your style best

thewilliam
12 Mar 2013 - 12:04 PM

The image quality given by Nikon cameras seems to depend more on the age of the technology than on market position. As others have said, the D90 is getting near ancient so you'd be taking a step backwards by making the apparent upgrade.

Alda
12 Mar 2013 - 4:06 PM

Thank you all so much for your comments and help. I phoned and spoke to the salesman, and he - to his credit and losing himself a possible sale - advised me to stick to the D3100 Grin. I think I will go with the 18-105mm, I can pick a new one up for 169, which is really good. GrinGrin

ste_p0270
ste_p0270  362 forum posts England
12 Mar 2013 - 7:05 PM

Quote: I think I will go with the 18-105mm, I can pick a new one up for 169, which is really good. GrinGrin

i have the same lens on my D5100 (also have the 35 AF-S f/1.8), it's a good lens.

a lot of people comment on the plastic mount, but unless you're really rough with it, it should be sound enough.

Ste

Alda
12 Mar 2013 - 7:09 PM

Quote: I think I will go with the 18-105mm, I can pick a new one up for 169, which is really good. GrinGrin
i have the same lens on my D5100 (also have the 35 AF-S f/1.8), it's a good lens.

a lot of people comment on the plastic mount, but unless you're really rough with it, it should be sound enough.

Ste

Well, the 18-55mm kit lens has a plastic mount as well. That's taken quite a few knocks, and been dropped once, and it's still fine, so I'm not too worried about the plastic mount Smile.

ste_p0270
ste_p0270  362 forum posts England
12 Mar 2013 - 8:46 PM

Quote: Well, the 18-55mm kit lens has a plastic mount as well. That's taken quite a few knocks, and been dropped once, and it's still fine, so I'm not too worried about the plastic mount Smile.

true, but the 18-105 is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the 18-55 so i guess the mount will be subject
to higher stresses than the smaller lens.
169 sounds great for a new lens though Smile i got mine new for 180 a month or so back.

Ste

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.