Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D3100 vs D90

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

onetrickpony
13 Mar 2013 - 2:41 PM

You can probably sell a D3100 on ebay for 250-300 and acquire a used D90 for about 300-350. If it were me, I would do it.

The main advantage of a D90 over the D3100 is the extra controls you get (two function wheels and external ISO and WB buttons) which make it much easier to control the manual settings of the camera. It's much easier to learn to shoot in manual mode on a D90 (I am learning right now Smile ) because the dual control wheels and external ISO control allow you to manage exposure yourself far faster (well, auto ISO is fine most of the time). Sorry, I know this goes against everything that's been said, but its just my opinion. For me, its all about the controls. The rest (high iso, more megapixels etc) can wait until you have money to spare, but if you really want to learn the basics of photography, you need a camera which allows you to control things yourself, not a camera that is built to do everything for you. Plus, it shouldn't really cost you anything at all.

I rarely take a picture without considering the white balance, iso, shutter and aperture and feel the need to tweak all of these things all of the time.

The D90's other major advantage is its big, bright viewfinder which makes composing and focusing much easier and is basically nicer to look through. The D3100 has a small, cheaper pentamirror - you'll notice the difference the second you look through it. Being able to see exactly what you are taking photos of - isn't that the whole point of a DSLR anyway? Plus, the back screen is MUCH nicer and you'll get a better impression of what you are taking.

If the D90 was a significant investment, I'd advise 'stick with your 3100' but seeing as you really won't have to spend very much if you minus the income of selling your 3100, I really think you should reconsider.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Mar 2013 - 2:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
13 Mar 2013 - 5:43 PM

Quote: you need a camera which allows you to control things yourself, not a camera that is built to do everything for you.

That statement doesn't really hold water and is more than a little confusing to someone who's just begun learning.
Once set up to do so, a D3100 allows you to control everything yourself and a D90, also set up to do so, will do everything for you.
I'm not sure I'd want to use auto ISO too often either.

Alda
Alda  146 forum posts United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 5:51 PM

I've never used the guide on the D3100 anyway, I find it more confusing than trying to do it myself lol. I bought the 18-105mm lens today, and I'll see how I get one with it. Thank you all again for your comments GrinGrin

DonSchaeffer
18 Apr 2013 - 7:49 PM

I don't understand why the D90 is better than the D3100. The D90 has a 12 megapixel APSC sized sensor. It's older technology. I'd love to know.

DonSchaeffer
19 Apr 2013 - 3:34 PM

I noticed that the D3100 has a Fresnel screen. This is a big advantage in manual focusing. They went back to film era SLRs.

jryans10
jryans10  1
22 May 2013 - 9:14 AM

I started off with a D5100 but went to buy a used D90 because the price is good for what you get - and you have an internal motor and battery grip.

I also like how you have quick access to things like the ISO and White balance without having to go through the entire menu.

Idk - I just seem to love my D90 now, but it's all about preferences. I think even though it is 12mp (still very good), the quality is great.

Last Modified By jryans10 at 22 May 2013 - 9:16 AM
Alda
22 May 2013 - 9:28 AM

Thank you all for your comments Grin. In the end I got a refurbished D5100 and I absolutely love it. If anyone wants a 6-month old D3100 let me know lol.

ste_p0270
ste_p0270  358 forum posts England
23 May 2013 - 8:14 PM

Quote: If anyone wants a 6-month old D3100 let me know lol.

why not trade it against another lens? you have the 18-105mm, why not consider a prime or
other type?

Ste

Alda
23 May 2013 - 8:50 PM

I'm keeping the 18-55, and I have a 50mm f1.4 prime. I need the money from the D3100 to pay for the D5100 lol TongueGrin

ste_p0270
ste_p0270  358 forum posts England
23 May 2013 - 9:04 PM

GrinGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.