Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D3200 camera raw

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Locton
    Locton  2 United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2012 - 12:15 PM

can anyone help, i am unable to open camera raw images on the D3200.

i have downloaded the latest version of both camera raw & the DNG convertor. this is what i do, i drag the files to be converted from I Photo into a new folder marked "RAW files to be converted" once converted they should show in another folder marked "converted DNG files". i name the file & i then press convert.

i have also downloaded apples support for camera Raw in I Photo, still will not work.

But this does not happen & i get the following error message: The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files but it does when you open the folder, the only thing that i can see is that when the RAW file is dragged from I Photo it appears as a jpg & not a raw file anymore despite it originating as a RAW file.

has anyone that has a D3200 managed to solve this problem & if so how?

any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jun 2012 - 12:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    15 Jun 2012 - 7:26 AM

I use the latest Aperture 3 and I have an old version of iphoto (which I don't use anymore) on my imac and I have no problem opening raw files from the D3200. Also iphoto and Ap3 convert raws directly as you post process the images and save them as Tiff's, keeping your unprocessed raws in tacked. I only use DNG converter if Apple doesn't support the camera..
    Whats happening is that when you drag the files to be converted from iphoto, they automatically become Tiff's and the DNG converter rejects them because they are not raws.
    I hope that helps
    Terry Grin

Last Modified By TTT at 15 Jun 2012 - 7:27 AM
    Locton
    Locton  2 United Kingdom
    15 Jun 2012 - 9:45 AM

TTT thanks for your reply, i think you may be right about what I Photo is doing, although it is converting to jpg automatically & not tiff when i drag out of I Photo. it was driving me mad as i could not work out what was going wrong, no help from adobe or Nikon as they both will not support 3rd party software, DNG being a adobe labs product.

i tried another RAW file from a sony camera (which i new i could open in P/S as a RAW file), dragged to the desktop from I Photo & it automatically changed to a Jpg i totally ignored the DNG converter this time, so i then realised that it is I Photo that is the problem as such, i am now going import a new RAW file ignoring I Photo & if this works I know what is happening.

will update when i know, thanks.

Locton
    Locton  2 United Kingdom
    15 Jun 2012 - 12:09 PM

TTT, it was I Photo, i needed to export from I Photo & not drag the files, as you said when the files are dragged it drags a Jpg version & the original RAW file stays in I Photo, if you export you can then specify what type of file you want, it will then work in the DNG converter.

i have to give thanks to the guys at N Photo magazine as well as they explained in detail what to do.

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    16 Jun 2012 - 8:08 AM

I'm not sure for what reason you are wanting to convert to DNG or is this for storage purposes? Why don't you do yourself a favour and get a copy of Aperture 3 from the app store its extremely well priced and works far better than iphoto. I do virtually all my organising, PP, exporting and printing in Ap 3 and hardly use PShop any more. Also with Ap3 you can copy directly your whole library into a Vault on a separate hard-drive
    If you prefer to use DNG's then you should download your camera images directly into a folder on the Desktop first, then convert to DNG's and then import into iphoto.
    Hope this helps
    Terry.

Locton
    Locton  2 United Kingdom
    16 Jun 2012 - 12:02 PM

the reason i wanted to convert to DNG is that i can then use camera raw & photoshop, i know i can convert the files through ViewNX2 which came with the camera, but i do not like it. also i like I photo & it is easy to view the files, maybe aperture or lightroom would be better, i don't know, i have thought about using lightroom in the past but not got round to it, i will think about your suggestions.

on my previous sony dslr i could open the raw files from iphoto or directly in camera raw or P/S, so i have got used to it, but you cannot do it with the D3200, so i needed to convert to DNG. as i have not needed to convert to DNG before or did not know anything about it, i looked on line & found this the way to do it, now you are saying there are other ways i will look at that & see what suits me the best, but i do like I Photo. i also like using P/S i have been using it for about 15+ years now.

anyway whatever i end up doing, thanks for your comments, i appreciate them.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.