Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

d3s or d3x - need advice.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2012 - 8:10 PM

Dear members, I need some advice.
the nosie in my D2x is getting on my nerves. I know there are other options , I got some decent software to get rid of some noise now but it is not always satisfying if you happen to remove fine detail with the noise.
So I'd like to pick your brains. Most of my lenses work perfectly with the normal format, as my lenses - apart from to wide angles - date from the pre-digital era.

Please look quickly at the sort of pictures I take and tell me what you would do. There is a D3x and a D3s for sale at the moment, both just within my budget and only 100 quid difference between the them.

any hints welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Apr 2012 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
24 Apr 2012 - 8:40 PM

D700 - and put the remainder of the Budget on some fresh 'glass'.

Smile

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2012 - 9:39 PM

As Mike says the D700, It is the camera that is responsible for many of my " Puddy Tat " shots, Can't fault it in any area, The high ISO performance is better than the D3X and close to that of the D3s.....Smile

If your hooked on the larger bodied camera, The items you have seen for example, For out and out " Clean High ISO " performance, The D3s is way better than the D3X, That said the D3X is not bad and under ISO 3200 should be pretty darn good, Its main advantage is the resolution, At 24 meg pixels, You get loads of detail and can crop quite heavily without loosing image detail.

So taking snaps of the odd cat, That is just a small part of the frame for example, Might well crop out a decent A4.....Grin

But as Mike has said, A D700 and a really good lens makes for a great all rounder, Without the weight penalty....!!!

Good luck with your final choice, You will be more than pleased with any of the cameras mentioned.

Vince....Wink

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
24 Apr 2012 - 9:49 PM

As a pair I have both D3 and D700 identical results apart from frame rate.one problem with D3 and D3s is shutter oil on sensor D700 has a slightly different shutter and has cleaning built in, I have never had a bad image from the D700 in terms of dirt spots and you can alway's add the grip should you feel the need.As said good glass compliments any choice.

Graham

scottishphototours

Yep, sold the D3s to fund 2 D700's and grips - the high ISO perfromance from the 700 is every bit as good as the D3s up to 6400 (seems slightly noisier at 12800 I think).

The big point of this for me was that the D700 had the sensor clean function that the D3s did not have. Have shot around 150,000 images with the 700's and have NEVER had to clone out dust or dirt on the sensor in a single frame. Truly remarkable performance!!

Totally agree with Mike - D700 and new pro glass is the answer...

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2012 - 10:29 PM

thanks very much- just a question to you all about the D700 ( which I admittedly have never tried) :
When trying the D300 I missed the little focussing arrows and the metering with my nice old lenses... that is why I bought the D2x to replace my D1H. and to have the sturdy grip (please remember, if you lift a 600mm or the 500mm you need a good grip.

The cleaning function sounds very good, you wouldn't believe how often I have to clean my sensor. Not self cleaning like your black beauties Vince Smile

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2012 - 11:04 AM

Quote: I missed the little focussing arrows and the metering with my nice old lenses

Annette, Have no fear, The D700 has the little focus arrows you like....Smile It also meters with any and all Nikon lens ever made, So no worries on that score.....Grin

As far as it goes, Feature wise, Look at the D700 as a lightweight D3/D3s/D3x, As standard it has 5.5 fps, Add the vertical grip and a D2X battery and your looking at 8 fps, Same applies if you fill the battery grip with AA rechargeables, The grip makes it a tad heavy though, I only use my D700 with a grip when required, The rest of the time I prefer the low weight of the standard body.

Quote: Not self cleaning like your black beauties Vince

LOL....Smile As far as I know the sensor cleaner has not had any problems with " Fur Balls " as yet........Grin

Enjoy your choice, They are all fab cameras for sure.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 25 Apr 2012 - 11:05 AM
thewilliam
25 Apr 2012 - 11:11 AM

It really comes down to your intended use. Both the D3X and D3s are built like a brick privy and will probably last an eternity with normal use - expect in excess 500k frames. You do pay a weight penalty.

The difference is that the D3s has better high ISO performance and the D3X has twice as many pixels. You couldn't have both in the "3" series so you must choose which is more important. Or get one of each because the handling is identical!

K4RL
K4RL e2 Member 6K4RL vcard United Kingdom
25 Apr 2012 - 12:47 PM

Just a heads up but the D3s does have a sensor cleaner - the D3 does not.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
25 Apr 2012 - 1:02 PM

Quote: Just a heads up but the D3s does have a sensor cleaner - the D3 does not.

Thought that isn't likely to clean oil spots mentioned above.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
25 Apr 2012 - 10:43 PM

The D700 has a lot less high ISO noise than a D2x.
The D3s has usefully less high ISO noise and is a more "pro" camera than a D700.
The D3x is designed for resolution, not high ISO noise performance.

User_Removed
26 Apr 2012 - 8:49 AM

Quote: and is a more "pro" camera than a D700.

??????

You mean it looks more 'poser-like'?

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 26 Apr 2012 - 8:49 AM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 9:07 AM

I've never had noise problems of any note with the D700, ISO 800 is virtually indescribable from ISO200 (base ISO), 1600 is way way better than ISO 400 on my old D80 ( I've used 1600 for landscapes with good results) - I think nothing of using ISO 4000 when needed, yes there is very slight noise, but for mono conversions its actually very very good.

I'm sure the D3s has a slight advantage, but I'd be surprised in run of the mill photography if you would notice it.

Tho if someone would lend me a D4 for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't mind giving that a spin Wink

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2012 - 9:19 AM

Quote:
You mean it looks more 'poser-like'?

For "posers" yes.
What I was getting at is bouncing around in a 4WD in Africa, shooting in pouring rain, high FPS if needed etc the D3s is the camera best able to provide these "professional" needs.
As already mentioned the D3s has an obvious size and weight penalty over the D700.

annettep38
26 Apr 2012 - 1:09 PM

thank you so much for all those interesting answers. Yes I know what the differences are on the datasheet. So Mike Vince and Nick thanks very much for your real world answers!!! that is what I wanted to know
Maybe - well apart from Vince who knows the furry part of my pictures... I'm afraid nobody really looked.
4x4s, oh yes. My future camera has to be 4x4 proof. TBH, the D2x never failed. Not once. Nor did the D1H.
well yes I do a lot of landrover events. That is what I live on. It is not what I share on the forum but yes , I have dropped my d2x more than once and I have been in the pouring rain more than I care and have been shooting in snow and the desert. And, yes I don't drag a tripod unless I really have to. But if the 500m tele is 2.2 kgs who cares about 300g. As I understand the grips evens out the difference so please, forget about the weight. As I pointed out above, all I'm interested in is sharp, less noisy action pictures.

Now if I got that right the extra batteries in a D700 handle add protection Smile and improve the fps rate.
And one important point has been mentioned : is the difference between the D700 and the D2s worth 1200? Or do I go for a modern 80-200 f 2.8? for the difference ? or maybe a wide angle for the big format that is bigger than 20mm Smile

So, unless one of you guys tells me now that I overlooked something really important , I'll start bidding on some d700 with a grip. .. did you say my D2x batteries (actually I have switched to the d3 model) do fit the grip? even betterGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.