Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D5100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dinky65
    Dinky65  1 United States
    1 Jan 2013 - 11:20 PM

Is this a good starter camera? I just got it and need to learn more about how to use it and what all it can do. I was told it's not the camera but the knowledge of the person with the camera that make it a great shot. That means I'm in trouble because I really don't know much at all. Help needed ASAPTongue

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jan 2013 - 11:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 11:28 PM

It's a great camera for anyone. You could start by reading the tutorials on this site, and I would highly recommend John Shaw's Nature Photography as a starter book. You might find a used copy on ebay, or Amazon.

Good Luck,
    Denny

Fogey
    Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 11:48 PM

Bought myself one for Christmas. Have yet to use it in anger, though.

I would have said it is a bit more than a starter camera, Dinky. The D60 is a starter camera and the 5100 has way more features - more of an intermediate I would have said.

Last Modified By Fogey at 1 Jan 2013 - 11:51 PM
    GarethRobinson
    2 Jan 2013 - 12:16 AM

Have a look here http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d5100/

Have camera at hand.

Gareth

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Jan 2013 - 12:17 AM
    kodachrome
    2 Jan 2013 - 9:13 AM

Yes, agree, its more an upper entry level/intermediate camera and should give you basic and advanced performance when you need it. It has the superb Sony 16mp sensor. See if you can get it with the superb Nikon 18-105 DX lens.

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2013 - 9:28 AM

I have two of them (bodies that is), absolutely superb. And a great range of lenses to choose from. It is far more than entry level and like the D3100 on independent tests it beats many of its opponents. As above, do get the 18-105 rather than the 18-55 lens.

Your comment about the user is totally correct, it has been said since time and memorium that it is the 300mm behind the camera not the 300 in front of it (lenses etc) that makes good pictures. Read the manual well and there is always good information of a general nature in photography magazines that is well worth the reading. If you start off on 'auto' settings, do wean yourself of them asap otherwise there is no need of the D511, you may as well buy a point and shoot cheaper job.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 2 Jan 2013 - 9:29 AM
    Fogey
    Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2013 - 8:28 PM

Used my D5100 in anger for the first time today. I must say that I did have a problem getting the subject in focus. Totally different to my D60.

However, it has to be said the light was extremely poor, so here is the best of the bunch.

robin.jpg

Had a play with the special effects, this evening and am well impressed with the in-camera colour popping.

dsc-0001-1.jpg

This set of videos is very good.

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d5200/index.html

Last Modified By Fogey at 2 Jan 2013 - 8:41 PM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62360 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Jan 2013 - 7:55 AM

Quote: I I was told it's not the camera but the knowledge of the person with the camera that make it a great shot. That means I'm in trouble because I really don't know much at all.

It is not so much knowledge of the camera as your ability to recognise a good subject that helps most to make a good photograph. Your portfolio includes several images which are better than some with more expensive cameras take Smile
    I do not know where you live. A few camera clubs have beginners sections to help people like you learn more about photography.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 11:11 PM

The D5100 is a perfect camera on which to learn any level of photography, right up to pro level. It is also a good instrument on which to hone one's skills. By the same token, most other brands in its class are just as good, so it's just a matter of choosing the system, and Nikon has it all.

derekd
    derekd  8
    23 Feb 2013 - 11:44 AM

The D 5100 is an outstanding camera, I have been a Nikon user for many years and have worked my way through all their top range film cameras and also digital SLR's both for personal use and professional use, my last camera was a D200 and D80, however due to age I have had to change to a D5100 and 18-105 lens as I cannot hump the heavy kit around anymore. The D5100 is as good or even better than the the others I have mentioned. the advantage of the higher range models are they are more robust and can take a battering better.

Dinky65
    Dinky65  1 United States
    23 Feb 2013 - 3:07 PM

Hey, just thought you may want to look at my work since I got a better under standing of my D5100 .I had some questions back in Jan this year you give me some info so thought I would touch base so you can see how I am doing. Thanks

pete146uk
    pete146uk  1 United Kingdom
    4 Mar 2013 - 8:09 PM

I have a 5100 and really do like it. I do wish though that I had bought the body only.

I got the 18-55mm lens kit and it is now hardly ever used. I bought a Nikon 55-300mm for zoom work, but it is a really cheap Nikon 35mm prime lens that stays on my camera. For anybody buying their first DSLR I would recommend buying the body only, and the 35mm Prime. This is really helping me learn so much about composition, aperture, DOF etc - and it works out cheaper than buying the camera with a lens kit!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.