Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D600 - still dust problems on new bodies?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    forestcaver
    24 Apr 2013 - 2:11 PM

As the subject says - anyone know if recent D600 bodies still have the dust and oil problem?

Cheers,
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Apr 2013 - 2:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kojak
    kojak e2 Member 1kojak vcard United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 3:46 PM

I've not had any on mine. Nikon would clean it anyway.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55647

gingerdougie
    24 Apr 2013 - 6:36 PM

No problem with mine.

carper123
    carper123 e2 Member 283 forum postscarper123 vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 6:46 PM

Problems with dust etc on the sensor from day one, took the camera back to my local camera shop, explained the problem, they said that if they sent it back to Nikon i would probably be without the camera for at least a week and they would probably only clean the sensor anyway. My camera shop said they would clean the sensor for me whilst i waited, they have since done this for me on three occasions, the dust etc getting less each time, all this free of charge, a fantastic service form my local independant camera shop. They also said they would continue to clean until the problem goes away. (Yes i did buy the camera from this shop, Canterbury cameras. Brilliant service.)
    Cheers.
    Darryl. Smile

RoyChilds
    RoyChilds e2 Member 656 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
    24 Apr 2013 - 7:24 PM

Yep sent mine back to Nikon for clean waited nearly three weeks Sad but got a full service recalibrated etc but after a few weeks use there back will learn how to do it myself in future. Tried Harrisons in Sheffield didnt want to know. probably cos i didnt buy it from them Blush

forestcaver
    24 Apr 2013 - 7:29 PM

I'm seriously unsure about whether to get one or not - on paper it's ideal but I do not want to be cleaning the sensor every 5 minutes....

barrovian
    barrovian e2 Member 10161 forum postsbarrovian vcard United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 8:15 PM

Just sent mine back to Nikon yesterday. Just hope the fix is permanent.

sitan1
    sitan1  6490 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 8:45 PM

WoW this is actually quite scary

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 9:05 PM

Glad I learnt how to clean sensors when I got my first camera the D70 it has saved a shed load of money and only takes a few mins to do. No matter what brand of SLR someone owns they really should learn how to do it. It's like house work it needs done more often than anyone thinks or wants.
    WoW this is actually not scaryTongue

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 24 Apr 2013 - 9:10 PM
    phil99
    phil99 e2 Member 744 forum postsphil99 vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 8:59 AM

Always happens with a DSLR.Had D70. D300 and now in D 800. Learn to clean it . If you are frightened to do that it only takes seconds in photoshop to zap them out.Not really a scary issue .they only start to show at f11 anyway

forestcaver
    25 Apr 2013 - 2:47 PM

I am happy cleaning sensors.

Using photoshop to clean lots of spots on lots of photos is a waste of time and totally ridiculous!

I have DSLRs (including high end Nikons). I specifically want the D600 for a trip to the jungle - 4 weeks of camp living and caving/climbing. I want the D600 as it is lighter than my heavy D800 and is still weather sealed.

I really do not want to be cleaning the sensor regularly in those conditions hence I want a camera without the flaw that it spews oil and dust on to the sensor. If you are happy sensor cleaning daily in a jungle camp then good on you...

That was the reason for asking if the problem had been sorted - I dont need to be told to learn to clean it or clone it out in photoshop or only go wider than F11

Jeez!!!!

forestcaver
    25 Apr 2013 - 2:54 PM

ps. should have also said that I probably use my D3100 more than any other camera(including D800) due to size and weight so may just stick with that as I very rarely need to clean it!

johnnypanic
    25 Apr 2013 - 6:13 PM

Forestcaver, with the money you're spending on camera bodies, you could probably hire someone to come to the jungle and clean the sensor for you Grin Btw, have had a D600 for several weeks now and no issues as yet.... fingers crossed.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62479 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    27 Apr 2013 - 8:27 AM

Quote: anyone know if recent D600 bodies still have the dust and oil problem?
    Andy

On a point of perhaps very important detail - did ALL the D600's have a dust problem?
    Having been involved in early D200 "banding" enquiries at a time when Henry Posner of B&H (perhaps the person most likely to know) said "there is a lot more talk about banding then there is banding to talk about" the best research outside Nikon concluded about 3% of the first 6 weeks production were affected. Nikon asked for sample images from any unhappy customer to make sure there was a banding issue rather than an owner who did not know what banding was, and then arranged a quick repair.
    A batch of faulty batteries and faulty cases for the 200-400 zoom have more recently been replaced
    More than 12 months after the launch of the D800 a few on the web imply Nikon are "double village idiots" because they believe there is a widespread left side focus problem and Nikon still do not know what causes it. While I am not saying any new camera has a nil failure rate it is interesting to note Nikon has not issued a D800 service notice and on another forum where I post I make 134 have complained using targets where Nikon say AF may be unreliable and none or posted images where AF normally works good. If D800 faults were common surely one or more of the links would be of a subject where AF normally works good Smile
    It is only relatively recently the need to clean sensors has been reduced by in camera dust removal. On the other hand since I first started in photography 50 years ago it has been well known by more experienced photographers that the more you enlarge and the smaller the aperture the more dust issues can show.
    There are those claiming, perhaps having just traded up from 12 to 24 MP, f22 and 200% viewing with contrast increased many times is "photographic reality" - some perhaps because they have been told on the web it is "photographic reality" - and do not know any better Sad
    Nikon have acknowledged on rare occasions there can be a dust issue not resolved by the "common sense" of an in camera sensor clean or blower brush.
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55647
    Some UK posters still seem oblivious to their legal right to a refund or replacement if a fault develops in the first six months of ownership if they buy from a UK retailer Sad
    In the unlikely event of buying any product from a UK retailer which turns out to have a fault perhaps the more knowledgeable get an exchange or repair and the more gullible repeat what appears to be a little more than web hysteria.
    Part on topic I have been buying washing machines for about 40 years. One recently developed a minor fault. It was put right under warranty. Would the OP suggest buying anything should be postponed until everyone on the web says a product has a nil failure rate.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.