Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D70 Infra Red

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
shannron
shannron  897 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

I am studying HNC photography at college and need to carry out a series of Infra red shots to hand in for examination.

I would like to know if anyone knows if Infra red works on the Nikon D70 with an 18-70 lens.

I have tried to find info on various sites to establish my Nanometer and if it is capable of handling Infra red but im still not further forward.

Please help.

Last Modified By shannron at 29 Aug 2007 - 10:04 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Aug 2007 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

FatHandedChap
29 Aug 2007 - 10:21 AM

Digital cameras are only sensitive to the visible spectrum. In order to view infra red light you will need a special camera. The easiest way is to use infra red film. I'm sure there will be people on here which much more experience of using it than I have.

You can digitally simulate infra red, there are some PS actions around if you do a search.

Tony

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2007 - 10:26 AM

No, you can actually take real infrared pictures with digital cameras and infrared filters, but some digital cameras do this better than others. I don't know the Nikon D70 that well, so let's let others answer your question.

shannron
29 Aug 2007 - 10:49 AM

I have been asked by my lecturer to purchase a Hoya R72 filter which should work great as long as my camera has the capability of reaching a high enough level of the IR scale.

I was also advised to stay away from film for this assignment and to stick with digital to keep waste to a minimum and to allow easier manipulation.

FatHandedChap
29 Aug 2007 - 11:03 AM

Well you learn something new everyday! I'd be interested in how you get on - might be worth a play myself!

Tony

shannron
29 Aug 2007 - 11:05 AM

Got to admit its all very scary. We are going to be trying out some UV photography too, so expect some weird and wonderful uploads to my portfolio on here Smile

jimthistle73
29 Aug 2007 - 11:47 AM

I've done a little IR photography with the D70s and it does work but the results are very, very noisy.

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2007 - 12:04 PM

Does this mean we going to some dark graveyard to take photos?

Did you get the web sites I sent you?

Tommy x

shannron
29 Aug 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hi tommy, yes got the websites you sent, read through them and tried various things, still kinda none the wiser Smile and graveyards is a possibility for the look im wanting Smile

jimthistle73 - thanks for that, il certainly give it a bash,

Geoffphoto
29 Aug 2007 - 1:01 PM

Quote: and graveyards is a possibility for the look im wanting

You'll be getting out the early Black Sabbath LP's next !!

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 29 Aug 2007 - 1:02 PM
snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2007 - 1:51 PM

There's a few on my web site taken on D70 with an R72 filter & various lenses, JB Photo FX.htm (not sure if posting web links is allowed here but the mods can remove it if not.)
just be sure to focus/compose before putting IR filter on as you cannot see through the optical viewfinder with filter attached (always found the 'pro-sumer' cameras with lcd viewfinders were easier to set up as you can get an image on the screen with IR on them)

Long shutter speeds & a bit of 'trial & error' needed to get the correct exposure.

HTH

Joe B

shannron
29 Aug 2007 - 3:33 PM

Thanks for that snapbandit..... Had a look at your site and your IR work is fab!!! I love the real "snowy" like images IR produces,

Last Modified By shannron at 29 Aug 2007 - 3:34 PM
Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2007 - 4:12 PM

Most Digital Cameras have built in filters to take out the IR,however some you can still work with it.
The Fuji s2 is one ,the Sigma s9 or 10 allows you to take the "anti IR" filter out.
With most of them you need to set up the camera in normal mode,focus etc,then apply the filter and take the shot.
I did a bit of IR for my City and Guilds a couple of years back,info can be found

here

Hope it helps
Kim

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 29 Aug 2007 - 4:31 PM
jaspernina
29 Aug 2007 - 4:25 PM

This site explains the in & outs of digital IR photography, click here

Stephen

Last Modified By jaspernina at 29 Aug 2007 - 4:25 PM
conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2007 - 4:28 PM

That's a link to "null", Kim.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.