Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D700 or D7000?

1 May 2012 5:51PM
Hiya folks....

Following a claim on my damaged Fuji S3 Pro, my Insurance company has offered me a D7000 (and that was after they originally offered me a D3100, the lowest entry level model....I felt insulted!!!).

However, i would like a D700 which, to be honest isn't that much more expensive. I mainly shoot motorsports (motocross & autograss) and am also now assisting my friend (a Pro) at large Equine events. I have been known to do small weddings and Christenings as well so quality is very important. I currently use a Nikon D300 which gives excellent results...

The question is, which will give me the better quality at the end of the day? Some of my images are sold as A3 but I have had the occasional request for an A2 which i was reluctant to do with the D300.....

Have I answered my own question maybe? I know the D7K has many more MP but that doesn't mean the overall image quality is better (in my understanding)..

Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated Grin

Martin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt e2
10 1.1k 6 England
1 May 2012 8:06PM
Try printing an A2 from your D300 - I suspect you will be surprised at how good the quality is. Why not get a second D300s?

Both the cameras you have mentioned are very capable, but the D700 has the edge from a 'professional' standpoint (weather sealing, better construction etc). That said, for the type of photography you have mentioned (motorsports and events) I would have thought that the crop sensor of the D7000 was a better bet.
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
1 May 2012 8:22PM

Quote:I currently use a Nikon D300 which gives excellent results...

Why not keep and use the D300 for sports, as you don't appear to have any major issues / limitations when using it. Get a D700, which at FF, will be better suited to Weddings.
StuartAt e2
10 1.1k 6 England
1 May 2012 8:30PM
Something to consider is lens compatibility - all your D300 lenses will work on the D7000, but you may need to buy different lenses for the D700 (or any other full frame body).
2 May 2012 9:43AM
I shoot with a D3s and D7000.
In 16x12 prints I find no difference between the D300s and D3 to 1600 ISO
The D7000 can produce bigger prints than 12 MP - your main query.
The D7000 has better high ISO noise than your D300, greater dynamic range than a D700 and handles 14 bit colour better than your D300.
The D7000 does not have as good an AF system as your D300.
Your insurance company may agree to your buying the D700 and when you produce a receipt give you a cheque for the cost of a D7000.
I do not know where you get yours prices from - after Nikon cash back the D7000 is below 900 whereas the D700 is still difficult to find under 1,600.
One thing I would think about is selling price. It is probable there will be a "D400" with 24 MP and the D800 AF system later this year - though possibly at around the D700 price.
2 May 2012 4:23PM
Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

Reading through them, and a bit more research has inclined me towards keeping the D7000 and forget about the D700 for the time being....I don't do a lot of low light photography and having covered 2 small weddings and a Christening with my D300 i reckon the D7K will be more than upto the job.

Even though the FF Nikon would be the better bet, I don't really do a lot of weddings and Christenings that would demand a high quality, the only exception would be the Equine events. Last year i covered the Equifest at Peterborough and was the sole tog for the Horse & Carriage event, the friend who 'hired' me was very happy with the quality of my images, shot on the D300, even though she uses the Canon FF (and has just bought the new 1DX), and i would imagine Nikon FF to be nearly as good. but for the sake of maybe three events a year it probably isn't worth the investment.

@LensShepherd...my apologies regarding the price of a D700, it appears i have lost the ability to count '0's, I saw what i thought was a D700 at John Lewis for 1040 which would have been good if correct as my son's partner works there and gets a great staff discount!! Smile

I only have three lenses, the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 (older model), the Nikkor 70-300 VR and an F8 Mirror lenses, all of which will work on the D7K....now all i need to do is invest in some SDHC cards, I only have an 8Gb which wouldn't be sufficient even for a few hours at motocross LOL

So the D700 it is then!

Many thanks again

Martin
2 May 2012 6:29PM
See what i mean about zero's?? It should read..'so the D7000 it is then' DOH!! Grin
3 May 2012 11:00AM
On an off topic before spending serious money consider http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1632.html
They show the D7000 at 886 at WEX with 80 Nikon cash back available.
This is near enough 800 net.
3 May 2012 8:19PM
My friend said he knows somebody who might be interested in the D7K, at that price,so i would be happy to sell it to him then put the money away.

I'm not in a desperate need for a second camera at this moment, so long as my D300 keeps working LOL
ge22y e2
6 115 12 Wales
4 May 2012 1:24PM
Have you tried the Sigma 24-70 2.8 on the D7000 yet? I have an older model of this lens which works fine with my Fuji S5 Pro and worked fine with my D300s, I had to sell the D300s last year and eventually replaced it with a D7000 but the Sigma lens won't work with the camera, when I put the 28-70 lens on the camera won't turn on, no error messages or anything. I've spoken to Sigma who want 50 to rechip the lens (5 if I had the the receipt for the initial purchase of the lens).

I imagine there will also be an influx of D700 bodies on the 2nd hand market in the not too distant future when the supply of D800's catches up with demand, a friend of mine has just got a new D800 and is considering selling his D3s he's that impressed with the 800.

On one's perfect resize is worth having a look at, great for upsizing smaller files, I use it all the time with the S5.
RRRoger e2
4 53 United States
18 Jun 2012 3:15PM
If I were you, I would get the D700 and share memory cards, batteries, and grips with your D300.
If it were me, I would add money and get a D800. I got my best ever Equine pictures yesterday.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.